Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey was getting the wifes 2011 Ob ready for winter. While I was changing oil and I thought about checking the fluid in the battery. Anyone pop the covers of the battery? Looks like there is a screw driver slot in the top of the 2 covers. Does just the little cover with the screw driver slot come off or the entire cover come off.

Question 2

On the top of plastic intake manifold there looks like a little door. Whats this for and whats underneath ?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Like most car batteries, the ob battery is NOT maintenance-free, That means one needs to add distilled water to it once in awhile. Carefully pry off the two covers over the fill holes and fill the battery so the water level is about a half-inch below the top of the battery. Be careful not to overfill or get any of the battery water (electrolyte) on your skin or clothes as it is VERY caustic.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"the ob battery is NOT maintenance-free,"

on most batteries Ive had the (2) little 6 cell cap comes off the battery. These has always been a little screw driver slot in the bottom of the cap and you pried the caps off with.

On our Subaru there is a little screwdriver slot at the top of the 6 cell cap.

What pries off?

·
Registered
723 Posts
I looked at mine again. It looks like most other conventional car batteries. To get the cap off (x2), pry underneath the cell cover. There is no special slot. It should pop off easily.

I don't see a screwdriver slot on the top of our battery filler cap. Maybe yours is different.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
ob2011
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing