Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001, European Outback, H6
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

is there anyone that tried a coupled tail light mod to give the tail lights the same appearence as the Gen 1 and 2 Outbacks?

I think that this could look really cool if done right. The center piece would have to be given the looks of the tail lights. I am thinking it can be done with a couple of layers of chrome,red and clear vinyl layers.

·
Registered
03 Baja Yellow 5MT 235k miles & 09 Outback 2.5i Quartz Silver 5MT 105k miles
88 Posts
I think it looks terribly tacky. Must be a European thing.

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Definitly not a European thing. It is a Subaru thing. But thanks for your helpful and well thought out contribution.
LOL, that was a remarkably well mannered response. I don't think I could have held my temper so well. Sorry I can't help with your question.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
905 Posts
I'd like to turn my inboard lights into fog lights that come on with the fronts, as of yet not found a viable option to do this.

It seems like it would be easy down the rear end of the car, bulb holders are there, they even have bulbs in them, but the wiring of it up elludes me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Timberwolf. If you want to do that you loose your white back up lights. And if I would do that I would uye a seperate witch b/c you probably want to use the front fog lights more often than the back fog lights. Or maybe I don't understand what you mean by "inboard lights"

·
Registered
905 Posts
In the finisher panel between the tail lights, I have at least one bulb holder with globe in it, I would like to connect that/them to the front fog light switch.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
In the finisher panel between the tail lights, I have at least one bilb holder with globe in it, I would like to connect that/them to the front fog light switch.
Picture? Sounds like the rear license plate light. Should be as simple as running a new power lead to the bulb, or tracing the current one. Not sure why you would want this though.

Crossgolf, when ever I have an idea like this I photoshop stuff. Form follows function (as my father always says). It gives me ideas about how to do that kind of thing, like grabbing a Gen2 light to see if I could make it work. That would be the easiest way I think.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've never used photo shop. But I would be very thankfull if you would like to try to do that.

I am pretty sure they deleted the coupled tail light design for the 2005 modell in the last second. The shape of the tailgate and the materials that were chosen make me think that.

·
Registered
905 Posts
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums.../22317-baja-springs-2000-outback-wagon-8.html

Exactly like the car on the right, in post 282, but with brighter bulbs and hooked up to the fog lights. I can get the wire color but am new to reading the new type of circuit diagrams, and can't seem to trace where the wire goes or ends to be able to splice it in or connect it to another switch.

It's still a work in progress.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay I found the picture you referred to.

Do those lights (5W) come on with the driving lights on australien modells?
I know that there is only one fog light bulb (21w) on my European Outback. But I have a chrome metal reflector on both sides as well. But only in the right hand side is a 21w rear fog light bulb. That is not standart on JDM or US Modells. Both should have one 5/21 or 7/27 watt on each side for running and brake lights.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Okay I found the picture you referred to.

Do those lights (5W) come on with the driving lights on australien modells?
I know that there is only one fog light bulb (21w) on my European Outback. But I have a chrome metal reflector on both sides as well. But only in the right hand side is a 21w rear fog light bulb. That is not standart on JDM or US Modells. Both should have one 5/21 or 7/27 watt on each side for running and brake lights.
I only checked the right side also, unfortunately no they just sit there doing zip, so I was thinking I wanted then to come on with the fogs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I already have a 21watt rear fog light. But I wanted the lights to light up as tail lights as well. So I added a w5w socket on the left side and replaced the 21watt rear fog light with a dual filament 5/21watt socket and buld. On the right side I added two w5w sockets and bulbs but I will go in and replace one w5w bulbs with a 5/21w bulb to get two rear fog lights. I had to use two bulbs per side because the metal reflector for the rear fog lights focus the light to much and makes it look weird.
I have three times five watt bulbs on every side now when I drive around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts