Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Outback LTM
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a set of winter tires on steel wheels but didn't opt for the wheel covers. I noticed that the axle hubs are not covered. Has anyone driven through the winter,i.e., salt and sand, without wheel covers? Do wheel covers keep the nuts and hubs clean?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Due to the lack of access, I would think wheel covers make it harder to keep the lug nuts and hubs clean.
Be proud of your bare steel winter wheels. A true mark of a serious winter driver and gives anticipation when you can reinstall the alloys in the spring.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 premium, rear sway bar, and way too many accessories. Anything that can make Boston winters more tolerable (e.g. remote start, molded wintertech snow mats etc).
279 Posts
I tried my car with 17" steel wheels and without hubcaps for my winter tires, and it was a bit too harsh for me. For $44 total the local garage got me a set of el cheapo hubcaps. One benefit is that they protect the threads on the lugs from dings/deformations from flying debris that can make it very difficult to remove the nut. Corrosion wise it's probably worse because the lugs don't dry out as quickly after going through slushy snow. So maybe the choice of with/without hubcaps comes down to aesthetics. With and without photos shown.
Christopher

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts