Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is something to watch out for. My exhaust system was getting increasingly noisy, until one cold morning in a parking garage it became obvious that that there was a leak in the exhaust manifold. It was hard to detect because it was hidden under the heat shields, and the noise decreases as the manifold gets hot and metal expands. After finally removing a piece of sheet metal to investigate, it turned out to be a cracked catalytic converter. Fortuately, instead of paying $800 for a replacement, it was covered under the 8yr/80k warranty for major emissions components. My car has 64k miles. The dealer said they have seen several of these failed catalytic converters recently, which makes me believe there is a design flaw in the converter. If you suspect that your OB has an exhaust leak up front, definately have this checked out or it will cost you big $$ later on! Beware: it's a pain getting the heat shield off because the small nuts and bolts holding it together are probably rusted together (the cat is under the heat shield on the passenger side of the manifold).

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Wish I could get these old converters, I'd weld them up and run them!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts