Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else experience a cracked catalytic converter in their 2015? My neighbor told me that his (same car) was replaced as the dealer found a crack. That was about three months ago. I brought mine in to address the recent recall and told the dealer to check my exhaust because mine was starting to sound pretty loud, especially on a cold startup. Sure enough mine was cracked too.

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
928 Posts
Where was it cracked at? I haven't heard of anything like this yet..

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,292 Posts
I didn't actually see it but the notes said the pipe was cracked at the converter.
So it's not the actual converter, it's the exhaust pipe where it goes into the converter. You're in a salt state - underbody washes are a necessity. The exhaust pipe WILL rust out, and sometimes it'll do it pretty fast, depending upon your local climate.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it's not the actual converter, it's the exhaust pipe where it goes into the converter. You're in a salt state - underbody washes are a necessity. The exhaust pipe WILL rust out, and sometimes it'll do it pretty fast, depending upon your local climate.
The converter was replaced so the crack was likely on the end on the pipe. It wasn't rust, I was under there a couple months ago. They had the converter in stock.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
795 Posts
Is this on the 4- or 6-cyl engine?

·
Registered
02 OBW 2.5 and 2012 OBW 2.5
71 Posts
very common issue. I work for a well known national exhaust maker...we are looking into building this unit now for future replacement cars. I was looking at pictures of this today actually

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cracked CC

Anyone else experience a cracked catalytic converter in their 2015? My neighbor told me that his (same car) was replaced as the dealer found a crack. That was about three months ago. I brought mine in to address the recent recall and told the dealer to check my exhaust because mine was starting to sound pretty loud, especially on a cold startup. Sure enough mine was cracked too.
I had the same issue (2015 Outback-4cl)...loud exhaust on cold startup that went away once the car warmed up. I brought the car in yesterday and they told me the CC was cracked. It was replaced under warrenty (extended warrenty).

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,434 Posts
Got my '13 2.5 cat replaced last week.

I was in for other service and a tech noticed excess noise and traced it to a crack in the converter. I didn't see exactly where it was, I was just told it was an external crack and not something on the interior of the cat.

It was replaced under the emissions warranty. I have a PZEV - I *think* that gives me a 150k mile warranty on the catalytic converter, but since I still have less than 100k, it was replaced under the 100k mile emissions warranty.

The catalytic converter is a pretty complicated piece of steel, there are a lot of welds and a lot of places that a crack can develop. I think my assembly had cracked closer to the engine, near the manifold.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,803 Posts
So their are two pieces the front Y pipe can get cracked typically in snow country when people bust through chunky plowed Ice berms at their driveway. Thats how I cracked my Y pipe which is the section just infront of the cat. They are two separate bolt on pieces. No rust its a quick unbolt / bolt new up deal. Took me 40 minutes on my garage floor.

The cat can get contaminated if the crack is infront of it ie road grime etc in the cat. Mine I had a local muffler shop cut out the old one weld in a new one. Mine wasn’t covered under the newer PZEV regs on that old car.

My current PZEV yes it would be a warranty thing for the Cat only not the Y pipe if that was damaged.

·
Registered
22,803 Posts
So there are two pieces the front Y pipe can get cracked typically in snow country when people bust through chunky plowed Ice berms at their driveway. Thats how I cracked my Y pipe which is the section just infront of the cat. They are two separate bolt on pieces. No rust its a quick unbolt / bolt new up deal. Took me 40 minutes on my garage floor.

The cat can get contaminated if the crack is infront of it ie road grime etc in the cat. Mine I had a local muffler shop cut out the old one weld in a new one. Mine wasn’t covered under the newer PZEV regs on that old car.

My current PZEV yes it would be a warranty thing for the Cat only not the Y pipe if that was damaged.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,434 Posts
So there are two pieces the front Y pipe can get cracked typically in snow country when people bust through chunky plowed Ice berms at their driveway. Thats how I cracked my Y pipe which is the section just infront of the cat. They are two separate bolt on pieces. No rust its a quick unbolt / bolt new up deal. Took me 40 minutes on my garage floor.

As far as the PZEV warranty goes:

The cat, and other emissions items, are warranted for 100k miles. PZEV extends that to 150k BUT... I think that only applies if the vehicle is registered in a state where PZEV is required (like CA). I don't have my warranty paperwork with me right now. I thought I read that a few years ago.

In my case, the dealer replace the whole unit under the emissions warranty. Since it's a single part number, I am not sure they would be able to separate only the cat from the other parts that are welded to it. Maybe they can, I don't know.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,537 Posts
They are two separate bolt on pieces.
Not so for Gen 5, at least not according to the SOA parts web site. The manifolds and catalytic converter are a single (expensive!) welded assembly:

·
Registered
22,803 Posts
Interesting at least it removes one possible leak joint. And dealers wanted over $1000 to fix my two piece unit. $350 oem y pipe 40 minutes of my time. $150 muffler shop visit.

·
Registered
Outback Limited 2020 Red (former 2015)
70 Posts
The thing that cracks is the short flex coupling you see in the picture. Older Subies had a braided flex joint. Our newer ones have the accordion type. Mine was discovered at 120K due to wife’s complaint about exhaust smell at idle. Non-PZEV vehicles look exactly the same; the ‘cat’ is a dummy. Part price difference $600 v $1100 from online OEM discounters. Lord knows what your dealer will get you with installation. Poor design.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
568 Posts
Thought I'd chime in seeing as my suspicions over the past year were correct and I have a crack in the flex pipe as well. The red dust appears to be residue from normal moisture/corrosion build-up inside the header after the crack opened along with a mix of insulation material, not the crack itself. I can wipe it away and the crack looks "brand new" so-to-speak (I took this before wiping more off, but you can see where I initially touched the residue with my finger along the first 3 accordion sections, everything looks exactly like that when lightly wiped away). There is no surface rust anywhere else under the vehicle and the heat shield still looks brand new. Exhaust system just has the normal patina hue to it. This looks more like a stress fracture over time rather than being caused by any external corrosion.

I asked my dealer to inspect it about 9 months or 15k miles ago when I noted the exhaust was getting quite loud, but they didn't find anything (they didn't look, bolts on the heat shield have never been removed until I took them off to inspect it). Lately I have had a strong odor of exhaust fumes in the cabin while at idle and starting the vehicle is almost embarrassingly loud. I do underbody washes on pretty much a weekly basis or immediately after it snows or rains. Car was never bottomed-out and the underbody of the engine is almost spotless apart from some surface rust on various bolt heads.

Scheduled to have it inspected along with a loaner car in the meantime while they order the new manifold. 96k miles but I have the 100k warranty package so it should be covered.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
795 Posts
Yes, that flex joint has to account for tolerances in manufacturing the engine and manifold, so it gets flexed a little on installation, and flexes again everytime the engine heats and cools. And it's the thinnest material, and subjected to direct exhaust heat. But every car has a weak link. I have only 20K, but I'll keep an eye on it, lots of short trips, heat cycles.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5I Limited, Wilderness Green Metallic, EyeSight, Keyless Access with Push Button Start
33 Posts
Scheduled to have it inspected along with a loaner car in the meantime while they order the new manifold. 96k miles but I have the 100k warranty package so it should be covered.

Mott Power (or anyone else): Did you get your catalytic converter covered under the 100,000 warranty? Dealer just told me mine is not covered even though I have the 100K warranty; I have 97,000 on my 2015 OB. Sure enough, the Gold Plus warranty booklet says it is not covered. That was a big surprise. Dealer is quoting $1,500 to replace. I was also told that there is an 80,000 warranty for the CC, but I am well past that.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts