Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the long post...I purchased a 2011 Subaru Outback almost 3 years ago with 140,000 miles. Life was great for about the first year and a half then the a sensor in the valve body went out 1,500 in repairs. Right after bringing it home, I pulled in the driveway and shut the car off and suddenly a huge puff of steam from under the hood, the top hose from the radiator came off and lost coolant everywhere. I replaced the coolant and all was well.Then there was an issue with the Catalytic converter with pressure built up and broke the exhaust at the manifold so I replaced from the manifold through the first catalytic converters, soon followed by the 2nd. At the time the shop confirmed no misfires and the engine does not leak oil at all. About 2 days later the 4 main lights lit up ( flashing brake light, flashing traction control, cruise, and a solid check engine light) I call the repair shop and they said it could take a bit for the computer and sensors to reset to now having the back pressure and to disconnect the negative cable allow the computer to reset and give it a few days. This worked for awhile but the lights would return and then go away off and on with no change in performance. Earlier this year on a super hot day In July I was in a drive thru and again the hose came off the radiator I noticed a small crack in the radiator where the hose connects. At this point I ordered a new radiator and replaced all coolant along with the new radiator. Yesterday I was at a fall festival for a near by town and drove the car all day no problems, then I put the car in park and see the red thermostat indicator and immediately shut the car off and allow it to cool. The expansion take was very full at this point and I think actually spilled off a bit. I then moved the car once cooled to a save location and called for a tow popped the hood again and now the expansion tank is completely empty. I am on my way to purchase a coolant pressure tester but I am fearful that there is no leak as I see no leaking and there is no puddle or sign of any on the ground. I am fearful that it the coolant is being burned and I have a cracked head and it is burning coolant in the exhaust. I have not see any telltale white smoke but any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also does anyone have a ballpark on labor hours involved with a cracked head?

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
3,106 Posts
2.5L are not known for cracking heads per sae, at that mileage I would be doing a hydrocarbon in coolant test... these engines )EJ non turbo 2001-up) are known for head gasket issues. also i would verify thermostat operation

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So car was dropped off this morning, replaced the missing coolant (almost 1/2 gallon) and check that thermostat was in working order it took a while to warm up but it did open. Drove the car a short distance no issues with over heating. Drove it to the next closest town about 8 miles no overheating. I will check for the coolant for hydrocarbons and thank you for the information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh I should also say that even though I bought the car at 140,000 miles it now has 217,000 I have a racked up a lot of highway miles in the 2.75 years

1 - 6 of 6 Posts