Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a 10-11 inch crack on my windshield today morning and traced back the root of it to a rock chip which is hidden away on the top of the glass where they tint it. I think I have no other option but to replace the windshield :confused:

Should I take the car to the dealer or look for independent body shop?

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,082 Posts
Check with your insurance, some have a $0 glass deductible through the comprehensive coverage. Depending on your state it may be required, in NY it is if the policy is written by a NY-based insurance company, or a NY-based segment of the insurance company.

I wouldn't bother with a bodyshop for the actual repair but you could find out who they use, also find out who the dealer uses but call the glass place directly in either case.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check with your insurance, some have a $0 glass deductible through the comprehensive coverage. Depending on your state it may be required, in NY it is if the policy is written by a NY-based insurance company, or a NY-based segment of the insurance company.

I wouldn't bother with a bodyshop for the actual repair but you could find out who they use, also find out who the dealer uses but call the glass place directly in either case.
I have $100 deductible :( wondering if I get the glass replaced some place else, it would void the Subaru warranty or something. Or I can pay my deductible and get it replaced at a Subaru dealer with OEM glass.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
I have $100 deductible :( wondering if I get the glass replaced some place else, it would void the Subaru warranty or something. Or I can pay my deductible and get it replaced at a Subaru dealer with OEM glass.
I doubt your insurance will pay for OEM glass. It is one area where aftermarket is the norm. You would probably have to pay the deductible plus the difference in cost of OEM. Given a choice and no money issues I would get OEM glass at a reputable shop and have them install it. It's all they do, the dealer might do one in six months if ever. I prefer experience. YMMV.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
It’s also not unusual for a dealer to sub it out, and charge you another 15% just because. My first vote is the glass shop, work out the cost/difference to get oem.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
103 Posts
Please get OEM. I've replaced glass in the past and purchased aftermarket once and ONLY once. It was wavy as heck and drove me insane. I can actually see the difference in cars that are driving by. On top of that OE glass doesn't cost that much more.

·
Registered
2011 2.5i base
270 Posts
Just had mine done. It was $220. They came to my house, did the work in my driveway and finished in 30 minutes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I doubt your insurance will pay for OEM glass. It is one area where aftermarket is the norm. You would probably have to pay the deductible plus the difference in cost of OEM. Given a choice and no money issues I would get OEM glass at a reputable shop and have them install it. It's all they do, the dealer might do one in six months if ever. I prefer experience. YMMV.
Insurance doesn't care which glass. They will pay whatever is left after meeting the deductible.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
My subaru dealer send all windshield repair to independent store. Just call them ans ask which store they send to....

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
Oem and after market is the same spec glass- oem hv the word Subaru on the glass, after market don't....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oem and after market is the same spec glass- oem hv the word Subaru on the glass, after market don't....
Spoke to one independent shop, they said they have APTECH and Plinkington autoglass. Also they are ready waive off the deductible if I chose the aftermarket.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Insurance doesn't care which glass. They will pay whatever is left after meeting the deductible.
Insurance does care what glass---the least expensive. You want OEM you pay the difference.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
arrgh to make matters complicated, it appears like the there is some sort of de-icing mechanism in which comes with the Winter Package, now I guess no aftermarket suppliers will have this feature and my only option is to go with OEM.

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
If you have '13 OB and the AWP, I would go with what your insurance company suggests. Insure that you "check it out" to insure that all is ok before you accept delivery after the repair. Ask the dealership about warranty coverage; however, I'll bet they will not touch it - normal for any glass on the car.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you have '13 OB and the AWP, I would go with what your insurance company suggests. Insure that you "check it out" to insure that all is ok before you accept delivery after the repair. Ask the dealership about warranty coverage; however, I'll bet they will not touch it - normal for any glass on the car.
Omaha

Are you telling I should go get it replaced with the dealer?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
arrgh to make matters complicated, it appears like the there is some sort of de-icing mechanism in which comes with the Winter Package, now I guess no aftermarket suppliers will have this feature and my only option is to go with OEM.
If that is truely the case insurance has no choice but to pick up the tab after your $100ded.:29:

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
My after market glass come with the heater stuff.... maybe that is why mine cost $325 instead of $220...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts