Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Five weeks. I've had my new Subaru for FIVE weeks, and what happened earlier tonight? Huge pop on the freeway and then there was a small crack on the windshield. Two minutes later another pop, and that small crack splintered into a giant Y-shaped crack right down the center. Each leg of that Y-shape is about 8 inches. I'm so angry right now.

Called insurance company and they said it's covered as long as it's replaced by Safelite. I remembered the dealership they said to ONLY let the dealership fix the windshield because of the Subaru Eyesight technology built into the glass. I'm not sure if this is bullshit, but the insurance company said that dealership fixes are not covered.

Should I just go through Safelite? Here's what I'm really upset about even though it might sound petty. I'm pretty sure the Safelite replacement isn't going to have the little Subrau decals on the OEM windshield which for me was part of owning a new car. It's my first time buying a new car. I understand if this was like 5 years down the line, BUT FIVE WEEKS. Yeah I'm pretty pissed. This one of those Murphy's Law days where I did a bunch of things that messed up the interior of my new Outback and now this stupid thing happens. Anyway, advice would be hot. Appreciate you all.

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
647 Posts
Safelite is fine. There isn't anything "in the glass" to my knowledge. It's all in the cameras on either side of your rear view mirror. Many of us, me included, have replaced or repaired windshields at Safelite. I am on my fourth counting the one installed in the factory. All results of road debris strikes.

You should need to go to safelite storefront for them to replace and check eyesite after replacement.

Search the forum for a few lengthy threads on the topic.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Outback Touring 2.5
160 Posts
I had Safelite do mine and they do the calibration. My dealership in Gilbert, AZ said they use Safelite

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Safelite is fine. There isn't anything "in the glass" to my knowledge. It's all in the cameras on either side of your rear view mirror. Many of us, me included, have replaced or repaired windshields at Safelite. I am on my fourth counting the one installed in the factory. All results of road debris strikes.

You should need to go to safelite storefront for them to replace and check eyesite after replacement.

Search the forum for a few lengthy threads on the topic.

Ok I apologize in advance for any dumb questions. This is my first Subaru and I'm very proud of it and to be part of the Outback community, but I'm not that savvy in it's features. So you're saying after Safelite replaces the windshield, there needs to be some sort of recalibration? Can Safelite do that or do I need to bring it in to the dealership for recalibration?

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
647 Posts
A calibration should be completed and safelite will do it. It's shown as a required part of the procedure and why they require the car at their shop rather than doing it at your home or work.

Try the search feature in this forum for the other lengthy threads of things to look for ( your own quality check when they give the car back to you)

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A calibration should be completed and safelite will do it. It's shown as a required part of the procedure and why they require the car at their shop rather than doing it at your home or work.

Try the search feature in this forum for the other lengthy threads of things to look for ( your own quality check when they give the car back to you)

Do you know if the Safelite replacement windshields have the black border like the OEM?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,426 Posts
Ok I apologize in advance for any dumb questions. This is my first Subaru and I'm very proud of it and to be part of the Outback community, but I'm not that savvy in it's features. So you're saying after Safelite replaces the windshield, there needs to be some sort of recalibration? Can Safelite do that or do I need to bring it in to the dealership for recalibration?
I'm not sure if every single Safelite location has the ability to do calibration but some locations do. I asked my insurance (Geico) and they said that glass and calibration are both covered.

For peace of mind, there are several large glass companies that make OEM glass and Subaru uses several so it's not as if genuine Subaru glass is anything special.

If they install Fuyao glass, at least one owner thought it was superior to the OEM glass made by Carlex and it should appear the same as OEM glass, black borders and all - the only difference will be the brand name on the glass.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
58 Posts
I have an 18 with eyesight. when my windshield cracked my insurance company said it was covered. I only wanted factory oem parts because I also read about the calibration and potential issues also i made sure the windshield was for eyeseight as it has the trim cutout different than a non eyesight windshield which would obstruct the cameras. I told my insurance company that i would rather have the dealer do it. All my insurance required was a quote from the dealership. I contacted the dealership and they told me that they don't actually do the windshield repairs themselves. the dealership said that they go through safelite and they come with mobile unit to the dealership to fix it. the insurance company originally wanted safelite to do the work. without objection by the insurance company i went ahead with the dealership as the middle "person" just incase. when i requested the quote i asked for calibration to be included in the price. the shop manager said that it wouldn't be necessary unless they really messed with it. so the quote was for about 850 if i remember correctly, 200 of that was covered by me part of comprehensive or some insurance BS.

in short... safelite did the work but subaru supplied the parts and provided my warranty. good luck!

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,608 Posts
Safelite did ours but at the time did not have the equipment or software or whatever they needed to do the calibration so the dealer did that part; insurance covered both. At the time only OEM glass was available for the 20 so that's what we got. Our dealer doesn't actually do the glass, they farm it out.

Next time I'll ask Safelite if there is better glass available and go with that. I've been using the same Safelite tech for years, he happens to be one of their most experienced and has won their national tech of the year award at least twice, so I trust his judgement. Safelite also happens to be the preferred provider by our and many other's insurance companies, so it's nice to have the insurance company backing you up if needed. Many years ago a newbie Safelite tech boogered up our windshield replacement so they sent out a more experienced tech to make it right no questions asked.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
521 Posts
I recently had to have my windshield replaced on my 2019 OB LTD at 14K miles. Safelite did the replacement and calibrated my eyesight cameras and did a fantastic job. My Eyesight works perfectly and no leaks. I wouldn’t hesitate to go to them again if I had to have my windshield replaced again. And no, I don’t work for Safelite. Just a happy customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Your dealer may not even replace windshields........some use.....you guessed it.....Safelite.

My wife has had two replaced on her '17 Forester, both covered by the glass coverage on our insurance.

First one she dropped the vehicle off at the dealer. They had Safelite replace the glass and the dealer did the calibration.

Second one we just went right to Safelite and they took care of everything.

And you are correct, worrying about a windshield decal is sort of petty. If you have rummaged through this forum you will find cracked windshields are not unusual.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Limited
67 Posts
I have replaced my windshield at Safelite.. Not all dealers encourage windshield replacement at their location. Good luck with Safelite

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,056 Posts
Safelite can do OE glass or use their supplier. If you choose OE glass, but sure to ask if their no-crack warranty applies as well. Maybe all that is available for the newer models is OE.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5i Limited
5 Posts
My new-to-me 2019 Outback suffered a cracked windshield from a small rock the first month I had it. I called my insurance they said I was covered under comprehensive loss, less the $500 deductible. My insurance asked me if I had a repair shop I wanted to use. I said no and they recommended Safelite. I made an appointment, paid the deductible and the insurance handled everything else. You do have to take the car to one of Safelite's facilities to do the replacement and camera alignments. A certificate of alignment was emailed to me when the job was completed.

Safelite did a good job, no issues so far. The glass is of good quality, no distortions, guaranteed against leaks or unintended breakage. I really don't care that it's an aftermarket glass given how thin auto glass is these days. I mean, you usually have to replace the windshield every 5 years or so because they get so pitted. If the car was some high priced sports / luxury vehicle then yes I would use factory glass. But for everything else it doesnt matter to me.

Now that being said, in California insurance companies can't force you to use their "recommended" shops. The consumer has the option to use any vendor they want. I don't know if this varies from state to state but it's something to look into.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5I Limited Tungsten with Ivory leather
177 Posts
Safelite can do OE glass or use their supplier. If you choose OE glass, but sure to ask if their no-crack warranty applies as well. Maybe all that is available for the newer models is OE.
What does the no-crack warranty consist of? I tried looking at the website and I didn't really understand it.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
745 Posts
id go with an OEM windshield and have safelite do it. i had mine done this way on my '18. the reason for going with the OEM glass is should anything fail in the camera or on the vehicle and they find the windshield is not OEM they wont cover any issues that could be covered under warranty. plus my insurance covered a decent amount so i went with OEM for peace of mind.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,056 Posts
What does the no-crack warranty consist of? I tried looking at the website and I didn't really understand it.
It was explained to me as covered repair or replacement if the replacement windshield cracks but not if caused by a chip from stones, road debris or an accident.
IOW, if the glass just cracks on its own they will repair or replace it.

·
Registered
2017 outback limited 3.6. 2017 outback limited 2.5 for the wife
69 Posts
I work at a Mercedes certified body shop, a local glass company does all our glass work, my outback got cracked at 12,000 miles , glass company brought oem glass and installed it, when they cut out the original glass they didn’t disturb the eyesight, I took it to the dealer to make sure the eyesight was in spec , it was fine

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6
3 Posts
Five weeks. I've had my new Subaru for FIVE weeks, and what happened earlier tonight? Huge pop on the freeway and then there was a small crack on the windshield. Two minutes later another pop, and that small crack splintered into a giant Y-shaped crack right down the center. Each leg of that Y-shape is about 8 inches. I'm so angry right now.

Called insurance company and they said it's covered as long as it's replaced by Safelite. I remembered the dealership they said to ONLY let the dealership fix the windshield because of the Subaru Eyesight technology built into the glass. I'm not sure if this is bullshit, but the insurance company said that dealership fixes are not covered.

Should I just go through Safelite? Here's what I'm really upset about even though it might sound petty. I'm pretty sure the Safelite replacement isn't going to have the little Subrau decals on the OEM windshield which for me was part of owning a new car. It's my first time buying a new car. I understand if this was like 5 years down the line, BUT FIVE WEEKS. Yeah I'm pretty pissed. This one of those Murphy's Law days where I did a bunch of things that messed up the interior of my new Outback and now this stupid thing happens. Anyway, advice would be hot. Appreciate you all.
We have had lost TWO windshields on our 2018 Outback. We purchased some extra coverage so Safelite has done both of ours. This ain't rocket science. Most anyone can do the glass replacement but "someone" who knows how supposedly has to calibrate the cameras - if they happen to disturb them in the process of replacing the glass. These two things can be done separately - Safelite offered as much to us the first go around since the crack was bad I wanted it done soon - so they offered to do the glass at our home and then calibrate in the shop at a later date. I ran the EyeSight prior to calibration at it was fine.... It think it is all CYA with this calibration and a big money maker for Safelite - who by the way charges way too much even for glass. We lost a windshield on another vehicle and Safelite was 2x or 3x than another shop and the other shop got it done same day. We only use Safelite for the Outback because our warranty co. sends us there. After this warranty is up I'd probably be shopping separately for glass and calibration. Oh and glass is not all that special either - most ALL of it comes via a distributer - Mygrant Glass they move most all of it for everyone.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts