Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened recently, a car passed me on the highway and a stone was thrown into my windshield causing a chip and crack. The next day I went to the local auto glass installer in town for an estimate. I was shocked at $850. plus tax.
The following day I was told about another installer 65 miles from my home so I called for a quote and told them that I have a heating element at the bottom. I was told brand new windshield cost is $255. plus tax and it will be changed out in your garage. 2 days later two men came and replaced it in one hour, it sure pays to shop around.
2016 Outback Prem.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,072 Posts
It also pays to check with your auto insurance, some include full glass coverage on the comprehensive part of the policy. Mine carries a $0 deductible for glass replacement.

·
Registered
2016 OB LImited with 2.5, Lapis Blue Pearl, option package 23, body side molding, door edge guard
52 Posts
It also pays to check with your auto insurance, some include full glass coverage on the comprehensive part of the policy. Mine carries a $0 deductible for glass replacement.
In Massachusetts there is a $0 deductible for glass if you have comprehensive.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
OEM quality auto glass installer is generally half the cost of a Subaru stamped glass at the Dealer.

Its even more with Mercedes. $1200 for the dealer glass, $400 same glass no mercedes sticker auto glass installer.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Debatable if it's "same glass"

At least on my Acura the dealer glass was thicker acoustic glass. Aftermarket was thinner and not as sound proof.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
All the OEM glass Ive had Ford Fusion, Mercedes, toyota land cruiser all were identical brand stamp and the same glass. Some installers only do off brand and dont ask if you want oem most people never ask.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Debatable if it's "same glass"

At least on my Acura the dealer glass was thicker acoustic glass. Aftermarket was thinner and not as sound proof.
The new front glass I had installed is eyesight compatible, thicker, quieter and no wiper heater rattle like the oem. So it can go both ways. It was $850 per bill. I paid $200 deduct. There is cheap glass out there to be careful of (chip easily and distortions).
Subaru dealer said they use this shop and glass.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring / 2019 Tesla M3
633 Posts
Safelite did a decent job replacing my 2017 OB w EyeSight.

I watched the man like a hawk as many prior years ago was a botched job. However, this time the job was really impressive... the guy even explained how he was using a wire tool to get the windshield out, then added a solvent to make sure the new sealing compound would adhere to the resisdue of prior one, the special arm for placing the window just right.... etc.

It did take them a bit of time to get the OEM glass.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had Safelite replace the windshield On my 2016 limited. The factory windshield on my car lasted less than 48 hours from new, so I was fine if they installed an alternate brand - it could not be any worse, could it? They did, and it's been ok for almost two years now. Cost was about $425 iirc. I politely asked SOA to pay for it, and to their credit they did send me a reimbursement check.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
20 Posts
Well, the 23rd I had a rock hit my '02 WRX and the cracks went accross in 5 minutes. The 24th I had the '15 Outback break! Didn't see the rock or know if there was one, but it's down on the bottom and I'm hoping the windshield is covered because of the issue Subaru had with these. That one has spread already as well. 2 windshields in 2 days and I hadn't had another windshield break ever in 51 years of driving!

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Premium
19 Posts
If the crack originates at the heating element and there isn't a large external chip Subaru may cover it. You need to go to a dealer and have them evaluate it. They replaced mine but it took several weeks for a decision to be made.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 15 outback windshield cracked at the lower passenger side while driving for no reason. Car only has 20 k - and garage kept. Tallahassee Dealer will not support any Subaru repairs. They say it was caused by something else. Fort Walton Beach said the same. Both service departments were not initially aware of the bulletin/SOA letter. Very sad! This is my last subaru and that Ascent I was looking at will remain on the lot. I will be posting , and warning all new buyers of this poor customer service. Those "loving" commercials are a scam.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
My 15 outback windshield cracked at the lower passenger side while driving for no reason. Car only has 20 k - and garage kept. Tallahassee Dealer will not support any Subaru repairs. They say it was caused by something else. Fort Walton Beach said the same. Both service departments were not initially aware of the bulletin/SOA letter. Very sad! This is my last subaru and that Ascent I was looking at will remain on the lot. I will be posting , and warning all new buyers of this poor customer service. Those "loving" commercials are a scam.
There are a lot of threads about this already. The 2015 had the warranty extended to 5 years, unlimited miles on that windshield.... I imagine you are at or just over the time limit... you could contact Subaru of America directly, and explain your case (nicely, not like the above post)... and they might offer to extend the 5 year limit if you are just past it. Can't hurt to ask.

Some other threads.

here is a good one, with a poll

here was a one time goodwill gesture replacement... maybe you can get one by contacting SOA.

another thread:

here is one:

there are more if you search. Not a new issue, not an unknown issue.

Might want to file a complaint at the NHTSA site too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks - I will look at them. I appreciate it. I did see numerous sites and info on this matter and I rec'vd the warranty letter years ago. I honestly forgot about it.

How can everyone on these informative sites, be so patient and understanding. They've known of this issue for years, and new buyers are being blindsided with unnecessary wind shield repairs. Mine occurred during a road trip!

Yes, I will send a nice letter to SOA, but after hundreds of thousands of miles on numerous vehicles, from poor 80s GM cars, etc. to many others, I've never heard of such a thing. Haven't windshields been around for > hundred years.

Yes, I'm quite upset. My 20 year old 4runner and 30 yr old k5 Blazer, have issues, but not anything like this. My wife was in the subaru dealerships parking lot, hundreds of miles from home and they said, there is no reason for them to even see the car. They never asked if I was over 5 yrs or referenced the windshield bulletin, sent out to all owners. They never mentioned it. They referred her to a 3rd party Co. (who were booked for days) and sent her on her way. She drove home while watching the crack grow longer.

Just venting I guess!

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Thanks - I will look at them. I appreciate it. I did see numerous sites and info on this matter and I rec'vd the warranty letter years ago. I honestly forgot about it.

How can everyone on these informative sites, be so patient and understanding. They've known of this issue for years, and new buyers are being blindsided with unnecessary wind shield repairs. Mine occurred during a road trip!

Yes, I will send a nice letter to SOA, but after hundreds of thousands of miles on numerous vehicles, from poor 80s GM cars, etc. to many others, I've never heard of such a thing. Haven't windshields been around for > hundred years.

Yes, I'm quite upset. My 20 year old 4runner and 30 yr old k5 Blazer, have issues, but not anything like this. My wife was in the subaru dealerships parking lot, hundreds of miles from home and they said, there is no reason for them to even see the car. They never asked if I was over 5 yrs or referenced the windshield bulletin, sent out to all owners. They never mentioned it. They referred her to a 3rd party Co. (who were booked for days) and sent her on her way. She drove home while watching the crack grow longer.

Just venting I guess!
I understand the frustration!

Here is a link to the TSB about the issue with the 2015/2016... those had a potential defect... later ones that crack you’re kind of on your own unless Subaru helps you out. You at least have a better chance when contacting Subaru of America.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks so much - seems like you have experience with this, so I'll ask....why, after window replacements with safelite or other after market wind shields, are they still breaking? Numerous owners are reporting several replacements.

It can't just be the OEM glass - I guess. Right?

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
Because it's glass and glass breaks. In their infinite wisdom Subaru engineers seem to be using the windshield to add rigidity to the a-pillars and the roof while using thinner glass.

My wife is on the 3rd windshield in her '17 Forester. Best solution is to add $0 deductible glass coverage to your auto insurance. It's very inexpensive.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,204 Posts
The windshield lasted for five years. Seems like a defect would show up before that. Maybe this is just a case of a cracked windshield. It happens.

·
Read Only
453 Posts
Because it's glass and glass breaks. In their infinite wisdom Subaru engineers seem to be using the windshield to add rigidity to the a-pillars and the roof while using thinner glass.

My wife is on the 3rd windshield in her '17 Forester. Best solution is to add $0 deductible glass coverage to your auto insurance. It's very inexpensive.
That's sad but its also funny. You are averaging one per year. I can imagine people will soon be buying half dozen windshields at a time and storing them in their shed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts