Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Touring 2.5
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used 2018 Subaru Outback touring with 9k miles. After two weeks of driving a very small rock/debris hit my windshield and cracked it. I had my visor down and the impact was was so light I didn't even bother to check it. Then, when I raised my visor I realized what had happened. I am experienced driver/ car owner/ diy'r and this impact was extremely light. After researching this issue I see there is a class action suit in the beginning stages. I contacted Subaru to see if they are taking any position on this issue. I understand that since it happened from road debris my chance of them covering anything is slim to none. I have an appointment at the dealer next week and will report back what corporate says. Just wanted to put this out there for others.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,149 Posts
There's really no way to gauge the severity of an impact by the sound it produces. I've had large stones hit that caused me to jump, yet didn't crack the windshield. A small, but sharp stone hitting at just the right angle is all that's needed, and that isn't going to make much noise.

Anyway, no, this is not covered under warranty. This is why you have glass coverage on your insurance. Good luck with that lawsuit, I'm sure Subaru will have plenty to say about it. ;)

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
I recently purchased a used 2018 Subaru Outback touring with 9k miles. After two weeks of driving a very small rock/debris hit my windshield and cracked it. I had my visor down and the impact was was so light I didn't even bother to check it. Then, when I raised my visor I realized what had happened. I am experienced driver/ car owner/ diy'r and this impact was extremely light. After researching this issue I see there is a class action suit in the beginning stages. I contacted Subaru to see if they are taking any position on this issue. I understand that since it happened from road debris my chance of them covering anything is slim to none. I have an appointment at the dealer next week and will report back what corporate says. Just wanted to put this out there for others.
If there was an impact, the new windshield will be on your or your insurance.....as it should be. Not sure why you believe it is Subaru's responsibility.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason I started this thread is because from other posts I saw it appears these windshields are extremely fragile. Of course I know insurance covers it. But I don't want to be replacing two windshields per year. And a small pebble shouldn't result in an 18" crack. I have had other owners tell me their windshield cracked for no reason, no impact. The other post I saw linked to the beginnings of a class action investigation that said enough people reported problems to warrant an investigation. But that's as much info as I found so that's why I contacted Subaru.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,149 Posts
A smattering of anecdotal reports from anonymous internet users has near zero statistical validity. Again, basic fracture mechanics says you're totally wrong to trust your ears to characterize an impact, particularly one with a brittle material like glass. You say the sound tells you it was a tiny, harmless pebble, presumably because it wasn't loud? Totally meaningless AFAIK, but I welcome any references you can provide on the subject. I still have my textbook in case you're interested:
tb.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're just here to provide feedback that supports your ego, congrats your well read and have above average intelligence. The several chips and knicks in my windshield on a car with less than 12k tells me the glass is either extremely fragile or the previous owner tailgated construction haulers. I've had several cars that I put well over 250k on and have never seen this before. I was also was a commercial truck driver for 10 years so I'm pretty familiar with road physics. But thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,341 Posts
Well, it is fragile. Windshields today aren't built like they were in yesteryears. They're lighter and thinner than they were, and much cheaper. It's been a race to the bottom with manufacturers because nobody wants to pay more for a higher quality windshield and even if you did--the shops don't want to carry them because, well, they're in the business of replacing and selling windshields.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Dropped off the car to the dealer yesterday and heard back this morning. Subaru is covering the damaged windshield under warranty. They did say this a one time goodwill gesture, which means they are not claiming fault. But I am glad I bought a subaru and they are standing behind the product.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts