Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else noticed how the various boxer motors out there (subs, Porsches and VWs, Honda gold wings/Valkyries, BMW (motorcycle...not counting Isettas and 700s) twins, and various aircraft engines from Continental, Lycoming etc) all seem to have a good rep for cylinder and ring longevity? not entirely counting VW Type 1 engines, since they're badly overstressed and have inadequate oiling system.

given that the vast majority of engine wear (>95% acc to tests done by McDonnell-Douglas) occurs within 1st 30 sec after startup, i strongly suspect that this has something to do with oil on cyl walls of boxer motor not draining back into the crankcase as fast or throoughly as with inline or vee motors.

anybody have any thoughts on this? am i full of carp (again)?

bw

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
crackpot hypothesis I81714

I would think the top halves of the cylinders would have less oil than the bottom halves, but I've never heard of that being any kind of issue.

Now if you want a real solution along those lines, try going with the cylinder-downward configuration on my Ryobi 790R...

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BMw actually did something similar with their K bikes, which have an inline motor laid over on its side for low CG. on the early ones, when bike was on kickstand, cyl head end of engine was down and oil wd accumulate in "top" of cylinders so that they would smoke on startup in a manner most unbefitting "the legendary motorcycles of Germany".....

yeah, i'm probably full of carp.....:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts