Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 815 Posts

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(a friend of mine in another city sent me this. .. guess he's in the market or thinks I might be lol)

This is why you should always check the VIN when buying a car, or even driving a good distance to look at one:

2003 SUBARU OUTBACK LIKE NEW GARAGE KEPT

Posted in the FSBO section but sure does read like a dealer wrote it.

03 SUBARU LEGACY OUTBACK ALL WHEEL DRIVE, THIS IS A GREAT CAR THAT IS IN GREAT CONDITION INSIDE AND OUT! THIS CAR DOES EVERYTHING RIGHT. I WILL NEVER OWN ANY OTHER BMW,AUCRA,NISSAN,TOYOTA,HONDA.MERCEDES,SAAB OR AUDI. THE CAR HAS ALL THE RELIABILITY OF A SUBARU WITH ALL THE LUXURY STYLING OF A MERCEDES.. THERES A REASON SUBARU HAS THE BEST ALL WHEEL DRIVE SYSTEM ON THE PLANET, THEY SIMPLY DO EVERYTHING RIGHT. THIS CAR COMES WITH EVERY OPTION INCLUDING.

POWER WINDOWS
POWER LOCKS
POWER SEAT
TILT WHEEL
CRUISE CONTROL
ALLOY RIMS
COLD AC
HOT HEAT
TIRES ARE VERY GOOD

THIS CAR IS IN ABSOLUTELY BRAND NEW CONDITION INSIDE AND OUT, NOT A SCRATCH OR A DENT, NEVER BEEN IN A ACCIDENT. THE INTERIOR IS LIKE NEW NOT A TEAR, RIP OR STAIN, NOT EVEN A WEAR MARK ANYWHERE. THIS CAR GETS 30 MILES PER GALLON.

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND A CLEANER USED CAR. TAKE A LOOK AT THE PICTURES AND JUDGE FOR YOURSELF,

GARAGE KEPT. NADA BOOK VALUE 6200 MUST SELL 4600 OR BEST OFFER
A 2003 you say?

Ok, nice looking car. . .very clean. . but what's this?

That, folks is a 2000-2001 center console. No 2nd cupholder. Ok, lockmedic, you're just being picky. Maybe they replaced it with the downgraded version. . .that's possible, right?

Only if they did the front bumper too, because this:

. . . is a 2000-2002 front bumper.

Every option? Orly?

Doesn't even have cold weather package. This is as base as they come, save for the automatic trans.

Also 30 mpg? Does (s)he drive downhill everywhere?

I'm hoping this is someone who is just confused as to what car they have (maybe they inherited it), but it could very well be intentional. A year off I could understand, but 2-3 is pushing it.

Caveat emptor!

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,779 Posts
Frankenstein H6

Please copy and paste the your links, as they expire on Craigslist.

If you want to see a real suspect Subaru look here, been on Craiglist for months the car with the ever falling price (what is in this car now? what was in this car before?): https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/4233358415.html

Ad contents 2003 Subaru Outback VDC 4D Wagon H6. Very convenient and reliable station wagon... with automatic transmission and 6 cylinders this car has lots of power perfect for your daily errands! =) Family car ready to take your family to the next adventure! 151K miles mostly highway miles, the body shape of the car is in good condition.... my price is negotiable to a reasonable offer!

If they don't come thorough I may upload the photos later.

This one is not so funny. It is sad. For the seller and the buyer. It looks like a good parts car, as it seems to be a Frankenstein Monster.

It is not a VDC, as no VDC off button or Onstar.
No under the hood pics, so I don't know if it is a H6. It has a H6 grill and hatch badge.
No VDC or LL Bean badges, on the front fenders, if the fenders were replaced then they could have left these off as the replacements are a few bucks from Subaru.

It has transplanted base model seats, no leather. Carpets look new, no mats.
No Wood steering wheel.

It has a subaru single disc audio system without tweets. It has a auto climate control though.

So I don't know, is it a flood, a wreck, or both. It looks like it was worked over, allot.

Who wants to fly into Newark Airport and give this one the smell test? :rolleyes:
Its in North East Jersey around the Oranges. (... well if you like farts you can smell the sulfur meadowlands swamp gas too).

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Please copy and paste the your links, as they expire on Craigslist.

If you want to see a real suspect Subaru look here, been on Craiglist for months the car with the ever falling price (what is in this car now? what was in this car before?): https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/4233358415.html

Ad contents 2003 Subaru Outback VDC 4D Wagon H6. Very convenient and reliable station wagon... with automatic transmission and 6 cylinders this car has lots of power perfect for your daily errands! =) Family car ready to take your family to the next adventure! 151K miles mostly highway miles, the body shape of the car is in good condition.... my price is negotiable to a reasonable offer!

If they don't come thorough I may upload the photos later.

This one is not so funny. It is sad. For the seller and the buyer. It looks like a good parts car, as it seems to be a Frankenstein Monster.

It is not a VDC, as no VDC off button or Onstar.
No under the hood pics, so I don't know if it is a H6. It has a H6 grill and hatch badge.
No VDC or LL Bean badges, on the front fenders, if the fenders were replaced then they could have left these off as the replacements are a few bucks from Subaru.

It has transplanted base model seats, no leather. Carpets look new, no mats.
No Wood steering wheel.

It has a subaru single disc audio system without tweets. It has a auto climate control though.

So I don't know, is it a flood, a wreck, or both. It looks like it was worked over, allot.

Who wants to fly into Newark Airport and give this one the smell test? :rolleyes:
Its in North East Jersey around the Oranges. (... well if you like farts you can smell the sulfur meadowlands swamp gas too).
Actually, that's not weird at all. It looks totally unmodified to me. For 2003, there was a base H6. They didn't make many, but there are some out there. This is one of them. The only inaccuracy is that they listed VDC in the listing, which it would not have.

I don't think the body is in "good condition" like they say, though. It appears to be missing one fog light and certainly has some scrapes and dents. Interior looks beautiful, though.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,779 Posts

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have seen some cloth interior 6 cyl's. . . never paid attention to if they had auto climate or not. Surprised me, too as I hadn't seen one with the 3.0 without it being a beaner or VDC.

Definitely not a VDC unless they've swapped the fenders.

This one is pretty cool:

bheinen74 said:
Subaru Impreza racecar 22B NO ENGINE
but not $19k cool and BYOE. (bring your own engine). Given that it's in Nashville I wouldn't be surprised if that's the same folks that are importing the Subaru diesel powerplants.

Keep 'em coming! But yeah, gotta quote them, links will expire.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,779 Posts
Actually, that's not weird at all. It looks totally unmodified to me. For 2003, there was a base H6. They didn't make many, but there are some out there. This is one of them. The only inaccuracy is that they listed VDC in the listing, which it would not have.

I don't think the body is in "good condition" like they say, though. It appears to be missing one fog light and certainly has some scrapes and dents. Interior looks beautiful, though.

Hey thanks, two thumbs up for you.
:29: I stand corrected if a BASE H6 is the case. :29:

I do notice on craigslist a lot of used car dealers mix up the differneces between VDC, LL Bean, and Base cars. They just pick them up at the auction, and don't know what they have. (great for those hunting for a VDC, and the seller lists it as a LL Bean or lesser)

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Hey thanks, two thumbs up for you.
:29: I stand corrected if a BASE H6 is the case. :29:

I do notice on craigslist a lot of used car dealers mix up the differneces between VDC, LL Bean, and Base cars. They just pick them up at the auction, and don't know what they have. (good for those hunting for a VDC)
One of the frequent posters here has a Base H6--can't remember who. There aren't many out there, though. I guess most folks who were willing to pay for an H6 didn't think much of a few grand more for leather, sunroofs, etc.

I think that's because the VIN doesn't necessarily accurately say what it is. Some Bean VINs show as a VDC when you look them up and vice-versa. They probably just check the VIN with something and copy-paste what they find.

·
Registered
2006 WX8: my "Outback" > yours
978 Posts
Base H6 was introduced as a mid-year 2003 model according to cars101, then badged 35th Anniversary for 2004. I test drove a '04 in Linden, too bad the seller turned out to be a fraud. I am afraid someone did fall for the tall tales and low price.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R
1,059 Posts
My 05 H6 is a base model. No leather, no sunroof, no VDC. I've read that it wasn't available in the US; Canada only. Don't know how true that is and if I'm wrong the sun will still come up tomorrow. (And if it doesn't it's nothing to do with me being wrong)

·
Registered
2006 WX8: my "Outback" > yours
978 Posts
Would that mean that 2005 Canadian base-model H6 still had the 4-speed transmission? And if the sun doesn't come up tomorrow, it would be just another reason not to miss that double sunroof.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,779 Posts
No Leather can mean Vegatarian also.

There are a select few people, who would purposely order a car and request the leather be taken out for cloth. = Vegetarians that don't own leather anything.
(shoes, belts, gloves, car seats). I met a married couple in a parking lot once, (actually worked with them). They had a Lexus RX300. Cloth seats. Story was they special ordered it, made in Japan, with cloth seats. They paid the dealer's asking price as it was a brand new model at the time. The guy said he paid a few bucks less for deleting the leather and opting for the cloth. I have heard others doing this with the dealer swapping the seat covers, but this RX300 was like in the first thousand made.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Would that mean that 2005 Canadian base-model H6 still had the 4-speed transmission? And if the sun doesn't come up tomorrow, it would be just another reason not to miss that double sunroof.
I doubt it. Seems like it would be crazy to deliberately make a different drivetrain, ECU adjustments, etc. for a vehicle that they would sell very few of. It would probably cost more to deal with putting the 4EAT back in then just using the 5EAT.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,779 Posts
The Silver now BLUE 1989 DL Wagon

It was a sliver car once. ...I know its for parts, and I did love driving my families Old Late 80's Subaru DL war wagon. (It was great for what it was).:29:

craigslist ad
" 1989 SUBARU DL WAGON
4 cylinder 1.8 liter engine 211,121 mileage
4 new tires, new starter, new alternator
4 speed manual trans. Air conditioning
plus rear fold down seat, roof rack
good for second or for parts to restore
other car"

It does not say in the ad how[ BLUE[/COLOR] it is.

There is a thread here about painting engine components. -But why stop there.
Paint the most of the car here and there to cover the rust: PLUS windows, rear lights, B pillar, mud flap, Exhaust tip.

There are no interior pics, no signs that it is a 4WD, and it is missing the doughnut spare on the engine.

Maybe its light blue primer. It might the makings for a LeMons car, if only it were top-coated in Subaru Rally Blue. (maybe with a roller)

At least none got sprayed on the Outback in the background...or the Gen 2 Outback driving by.

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/4231256800.html

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wooooooow!

Masking tape must be hella expensive in CT.

1 - 20 of 815 Posts