Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 XT

FSM says
1) Torque to 33 ft lbs.
2) Torque to 133 ftlbs and make sure it turns 65 degrees or more.

Mine only went about 45 degrees.

I SUPPOSE I should replace it with a new bolt, but it's back together now and I'd like to put it off until I do the next coolant change in 30k when i take the undercover off the next time.

What's the risk?

Tom

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,477 Posts
You have to use a long breaker bar in order to get the torque to turn it the extra angle.

It should not back off.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bolt was torqued to the spec, there are just the following words in the FSM:

(1) Clean the crank shaft thread using compressed
air.
(2) Apply engine oil to the crank pulley bolt seat
and thread.
(3) Tighten the bolts temporarily with tightening
torque of 44 N��m (4.5 kgf-m, 33 ft-lb).
(4) Tighten the crank pulley bolts.
Tightening torque:
180 N��m (18.3 kgf-m, 132.7 ft-lb)
3) Confirm that the tightening angle of the crank
pulley bolt is 65�� or more. Perform the following
procedures when less than 65��.
CAUTION:
If the tightening angle of crank pulley bolt is
less than 45��, the bolt should be damaged. In
this case, the bolt must be replaced.

Is this just FSM BS, or is it something to worry about? I imagine that in the real world, there are plenty of people that don't pay attention to this.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,947 Posts
It sounds like it is a stretch bolt, if it turns less than the proper amount that means it can't maintain enough clamping pressure (preload). It's like a spring that has been overstretched.

I'd replace it, if it were me and it took a week to get to it, I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,439 Posts
Or it means that the friction in the threads combined with the pressure of the bolt against the pulley is equal to the torque you read.

A dry bolt will torque at a different position than a oiled bolt. Did you oil the bolt?

If you are concerned, I would take the bolt out, re oil it and perform it again.

Also, how accurate is your torque wrench at 33 ft -lbs.

I would not worry about it personally.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Or it means that the friction in the threads combined with the pressure of the bolt against the pulley is equal to the torque you read.

A dry bolt will torque at a different position than a oiled bolt. Did you oil the bolt?

If you are concerned, I would take the bolt out, re oil it and perform it again.

Also, how accurate is your torque wrench at 33 ft -lbs.

I would not worry about it personally.
It was oiled. Running torque was low as I installed it. I didn't try to repeat it. And I didn't blow it off with air, I wiped it on my pants before oiling :)

The 33 was right in the middle of the range of my small beam torque, so I used it to set that.

I will probably pick up a new bolt the next time I'm at the dealer and install it when I need a break from the wife and kids. For their safety of course :)

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
It's strange how the subaru instructions have evolved over the years. The 99 instructions are the same except that the final tightening torque is 94 ft-lb and the minimum turning angle is 45 degrees. If the angle is less then 45 degrees, then they specify repeating the installation with a new bolt. I guess that they had trouble with the bolt coming out.

Is the tightening angle measured from the 33 ft-lb stopping point to the final 133 ft-lb stopping point?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, they want 65 degrees of turn going from the pretorqued 33ftlbs to the final torque of 133 ftlbs.

·
Registered
14 2.5i Premium CVT - SOLD 05 XT limited 5AT
413 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I just wanted to add my experience if this question comes up again.

For my 2005 obxt, I examined my old bolt before I attempted to reuse it. It was clean and looked straight with no necking. So I decided to reuse it because I needed to drive the car the next day. If any part of the bolt looks thinned/stretched out then you definitely need a new bolt.

Anyway I cleaned the bolt, cleaned the bolt hole as best as I can with a rag, and then rubbed a bit of oil on the bolt thread and torqued it. Mine only rotated 45 degrees to torque to 135ft.lbs after a 35ft.lbs preload.

So I pulled it back out, and this time I dunked the entire bolt in engine oil and then wiped off the excess. Then I tried again. This time it rotated exactly 65 degrees to torque to 135ft.lbs after a 35ft.lbs preload. Success! So, cleaning and oiling the bolt is a necessary step for sure.

Now I am not sure about other engines, but on the TURBO engine, the easiest way to measure the angle is to look for a raised notch in an area right above the timing belt cover just below and to the right of the starter. It is a tiny raised bump about 1 cm long and only about 2 mm wide, but you can tell it is the correct line because it is perpendicular to the crack bolt (the line points to the bolt). The mark is about 10 o clock from the crack pulley. Start your torque wrench there, and then tighten clockwise until you reach the torque. The wrench should stop (click) right at the O degree mark indicated on top of the timing belt cover.

By the way I had to exceed the 300 ft.lbs max torque on my beefy wrench to loosen the crank bolt for the initial timing belt change.

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
I forgot about the oiling of the bolt. I have adopted the 2000+ torque specs for my 95 and 97. I think that the original 95 specified torque was only 65 ft lbs.

I also mark the bolt head with white paint to keep track if it starts to unscrew.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts