Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any ideas why my 2008 Legacy will sometimes crank but not start but will start if I pop the clutch?

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
does anyone have any ideas why my 2008 Legacy will sometimes crank but not start but will start if I pop the clutch?
I love that you have a legacy with a clutch. It's such a lifesaver when you can push start a car. It does seem odd that the car will crank but not start - are you sure the battery's strong? Will the car start with a jump start?

Another possibility is that your fuel pump is taking extra time to build up pressure, so if you turn the key and start immediately the fuel isn't ready. If you put the key to the "run" position for a few seconds before engaging the starter and it's successful, then maybe it's a fuel issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is actually my son's car his battery is fairly new. I will have him try the key to run. It doesn't happen all the time. But has started doing it more often

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
It is actually my son's car his battery is fairly new. I will have him try the key to run. It doesn't happen all the time. But has started doing it more often
There are some mechanical experts in here - I'm not one of them, so if you can provide as much information as you can about the situation, it might prompt someone to offer a better suggestion.

There's another forum https://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/fourth-generation-legacy-2005-2009-10.html that could also be a resource.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,968 Posts
A friend in Virginia just talked to me yesterday about his WRX doing the same thing. He hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and was getting 100 psi at key ON. It would start and run normally then the pressure would drop to 60-80. At the times the car would not start quick there was zero pressure on the fuel until the engine turned over for a bit then pressure came on and the car started. He's pulling the pump today.

With it starting when you pop the clutch it may be that with the key on for a time the pump started, or it's related to the engine turning after the initial prime sequence, that the fuel pump kicked on and the car starts.

Good chance it's the fuel pump. Possibly the fuel pump relay. Someone would need to check for the pump signal at the module connection. It's under the back seat.

If you or your son want to pursue this yourself, I can post up the wiring and connector diagram so you know what to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts