Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Looking for some assistance. 99 Legacy Limited crapped out while on the highway. Towed it home. Thought maybe fuel pump wasn't working. But with another person in the back listening, I confirmed it is switching on. Also, about a half ounce or so of fuel is getting to the engine upon switching the car on. Am now thinking no spark. Regretfully, I'm alone and testing everything is quite difficult as I can't be inside the car and holding multimeters under the hood at the same time. Anyway, due to the inaccessibility of getting to the spark plugs, can't fully confirm that. Anyway, I put on a new coil pack (easy job), still no start. Next took out my igniter and put that one on another matching car, but the other matching car started up just fine. Where should I go next? Cam sensor? Crank sensor? Computer? Any thoughts are welcomed. Many thanks.

·
Registered
'98 Outback
241 Posts
It sounds like you've done a thorough job of troubleshooting so far. You may need more instrumentation now.

Try scanning it for codes. I got my OBD-II reader for less than $20 on-line.

Some parts stores have tool loaner programs, maybe you can borrow a fuel pressure gauge.

Spark testers are not very expensive, under $10.

Then you might need to get a good wiring diagram and start following the harness, check for power and continuity, like to see if the ignitor and coil are getting a signal from the ECM, the ECM is getting its power and inputs, etc.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
is it a 2.2 engine? when was the last timing belt system service? did you check the cam/crank timing?

older soobs have had intermittent crank sensors.

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
Yea, coil packs arn't normally a problem.

Don't you have any codes? If you don't have any codes, then it will be difficult to determine the problem. It will be kind of a guessing game.

Some things that can stop a subaru [other then fuel interruption] are: MAF, Timing belt, crank or cam sensor. There are probably many more. The MAF doesn't always set a code, by the way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts