Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 OBW H4 5MT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So out of nowhere my OBW started acting while going about 70mph on the highway. The engine basically lost all power and I was able to get it off the side of the road and parked. It would intermittently run smoothly but it seems the crank gets into a wobble and makes a terrible noise.

I threw it on a flat bed (was actually able to drive it on) and took it home.

Now I'm wondering what this could be. Here's a few very brief videos of starting the car and under the hood. My first thought was that the key on the crank pulley possibly sheered a tiny bit or the bolt has come loose? I haven't had any time to pull things apart yet but I'm wondering if this is even salvageable or if i should look around for a new engine?

https://vid.me/QnnB

https://vid.me/wxxo

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Crank pulley bolt might be loose. Not typically an engine-killer on a Subaru as the engines are zero balance. Tighten it up and see what that gets you.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,909 Posts
I think for the crank to move like that *all* the main bearings would have to be shot...

It is probably something much simpler. I'd take the pulley/'dampener' off and see what's what.

·
Registered
2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150
1,525 Posts
The crank pulley is actually made up of two metal pieces with a rubber dampener separating them. The rubber may have rotted enough for the metal pieces to slip in relation to each other causing the roughness in the engine. If this is the problem, simply replace the pulley.

·
Registered
2002 OBW H4 5MT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys got me scared about the main bearing.. so I pulled off the harmonic balancer to take a peek, hoping it's an issue with the balancer/woodruff key.

Sure enough, the bolt for the balancer came loose with very little effort and the balancer keyhole and key are pretty mangled. I think this is salvageable though?

I'll try and keep the socket but I'll have to replace the key and balancer. I did the timing belt about 50k ago so I think I'd pull it off, replace they key and put everything back on. Sound about right?

Harmonic Balancer Pic: Imgur

Sprocket/Key Pic:Imgur

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
I've seen worse.

I have a few balancers/crank sprockets laying around. No woodruff keys tho (they get tossed with bad blocks), but aside from the balancer, none of that is particularly expensive if you want to buy it new.

PISTON & CRANKSHAFT.. Fits: 2002 Subaru Legacy OUTBACK WAGON 2.5L MT 4WD | Subaru Parts Online

SPROCKET-CRANKSHAFT
$14.10
13021AA16A

WOOD RUF KEY
$2.45

and:

CAMSHAFT & TIMING BELT. TIMING BELT.. Fits: 2002 Subaru Legacy OUTBACK WAGON 2.5L MT 4WD | Subaru Parts Online

BOLT-CRANKSHAFT PULLEY
$4.82
12369AA011

PULLEY-CRANKSHAFT
$199.95
12305AA252

·
Registered
2002 OBW H4 5MT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I found a balancer + key on Amazon.com for $60. I might go pick up the camshaft sprocket and crankshaft bolt from the local dealership.

I guess on the upside I get the opportunity to make sure the timing is correct :)

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,388 Posts
yeah these are actually easy to fix.

i've not even repaired the keyways before for the balancer/pulley- they aren't necessary if you crank the snot out of the crank bolt which is steel and won't strip like aluminum. i use a 3 foot pipe over my socket and have at it.

they will not come off.

·
Premium Member
2006 Subaru SUS
872 Posts
Start it with the crank pulley off, see if noise goes away.
To me, sounds like the short block is toast.

·
Registered
2002 OBW H4 5MT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sirtef9 - Yep, you're right. Just started up without the crank pulley and sounds terrible (the same).

Glad I saw this before I ordered the new parts. I guess I'm shopping for a new engine as this point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
subaru impreza 2010 2.5i crank pulley car won't start What about knocking overheating while crank pulley is mess up now car won't start like if it's dieing. Need help asap

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,909 Posts
A little more description of the problems as separate problems would help understanding of what you are seeing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts