Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to remove my crankshaft pulley... I thought I was holding it still with the chain wrench so I could break the bolt with the breaker bar. It took forever to get any motion, then when it finally did begin to turn, it seems the inside of the crankshaft pulley is turning with the bolt. The outside is still held tight with the wrench, but something is still turning. I can't seem to find any information about this anywhere online...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense, and I'm not horribly upset by that, as long as I haven't done any damage to anything else. The question is, how do I get it off like this?

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
search ''starter bump''.

place the socket on the bolt and brace the breaker bar against the frame of the car next to the battery.

then bump the starter.

for reassembly, search ''screwdriver flex plate'' or screw driver flex plate'' or ''screwdriverflexplate'' .

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
277 Posts
Put the two 3/8 extensions into two of the holes 180* degrees apart. Take your monkey wrench and clamp down on the extensions. Make sure the wrench is orientated the correct way so that the 3/8 extension turns into the wrench, not out of the wrench. (The wrench teeth are at an angle which gives the wrench its "bite"). Then stick a pipe on the end of the wrench (in my case a hitch ball mount :D) to lengthen the handle, allowing the wrench to rest on the frame.

Make sure your radiator is removed so you'll have removed to work.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
All these tips work. My suggestion is the 3/8" extensions, expect with a large prybar (my Gorilla 3' pry worked great) wedged against the ground and oriented to pry against the rotation.

Starter bump seems scary, but works great if you make sure you have everything oriented correctly.

Tom

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
+1 to canubaru starter bump. It works fine.

·
Registered
277 Posts
A starter is meant for starting the car. Not removing bolts.

Humor me: How are you going to get the bolts back on. Sure jamming a screw driver into the flex plate holes may work, but what about manual transmissions?

Socket extension works everytime. Regardless of transmission. And it requires nothing more than tools already around the house.

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
scoobyru

On a manual transmission, putting the car into gear and having someone push the brake will allow you to put 130 ftlb on the crank bolt. With the auto transmissions, using a 12 in screwdriver to hold the flywheel will easily allow you to put 130 ftlb on the crankbolt. I did it myself without any assistance.

I don't however advise anyone to change the timing belt without reading the DIY and watching the utubes. There are a bunch of them. They answer the questions such as you just posed

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
904 Posts
When using the put in gear method, do not use any gear other than a 1:1 as I was told to use 3rd gear and ended up chipping some teeth somewhere in the box, now I have a slight whine up to 4th gear.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
Socket extension works everytime. Regardless of transmission.
the crank pulley on my 95 lego, 96 lego, 97 obw, 98 obw, 97 GT, and 00 lego do not have holes large enough for 3/8" extensions. they do have 2 bolt holes, but no where near large enough for socket extensions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the crank pulley on my 95 lego, 96 lego, 97 obw, 98 obw, 97 GT, and 00 lego do not have holes large enough for 3/8" extensions. they do have 2 bolt holes, but no where near large enough for socket extensions.
Mine has four very small holes in it. I also can't use the "starter bump" method because the car won't start...

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
Mine has four very small holes in it. I also can't use the "starter bump" method because the car won't start...
In fact, you dont want it to start. That would be dangerous. You need to disconnect the plug wires or unplug the coil if you go this route with a running engine.

·
Registered
277 Posts
mikec said:
On a manual transmission, putting the car into gear and having someone push the brake will allow you to put 130 ftlb on the crank bolt.
That was actually my first thought when I did mine, but unfortunately during the week I live by myself. (New job will fix that soon enough)

Okay, addendum to my statement: for at least 05+ :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pics of my 2004 pulley separated 80000 miles

2004 outback with only 80,000 miles, had it since new. Threw Ac belt twice and then took out alt/ps belt. Never would have figured this out without the internet. Thanks to everyone. Removed Alt, a/c belt tensioner, air intake, coolant expansion tank and both fans. Used starter and breaker bar to break crankshaft bolt free(awesome trick). Used $6.00 chain wrench from Harbor Freight and torque wrench to tighten. $80.00 dollar replacement from Autozone for the harmonic balancer. Hope this helps somebody. Tell tale signs were wear marks on timing belt covers from A/C and Alt belts. Wore a gouge right thru cover behind pulley that I filled with Permatex Plastic Weld.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts