Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sent an email over to Crawford Performance asking them about their Billet Power Blocks. Not sure if anyone else is interested, if so, definitely shoot them an email so they know that there's some interest.

These billet power blocks (BPB) were tested independently on the FRS/BRZ/86 platform and seemed to give some gains.

MotoIQ did some testing as well.

Some googling also showed that the Crosstrek crowd seems to like them.

May be the little mod some people want to bump power a little bit. While not the power of the XT 2.4T, bumping up the power a little bit never hurts.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,262 Posts
I think a better way of increasing power is by getting light weight wheels first. Something like Enkei RPF-1 or Method MR503.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got a reply back from Crawford. They said the BPB from the crosstrek 2.5 and the forester should fit. However, they have not personally checked as they have not had an Outback 2.5 (gen 6) at their shop.

I think a better way of increasing power is by getting light weight wheels first. Something like Enkei RPF-1 or Method MR503.
I actually have a set of Enkei rpf-1s and Konig Hypergrams in the garage from previous cars that I've owned. Plan was to throw them on when it's time for me to change tires.

On the topic of reducing rotating mass, I'm hoping ATI comes out with a dampened crank pulley for the new 2.5L in the Outback, Crosstrek Sport, Forester. That should provide some additional rotational mass reduction along with better dampening.

Personally, I'm not looking for gobs of power. The Outback is the daily driver that gets me good gas mileage for the commute and has the ground clearance that I don't have to worry about scraping. I wanted to keep things simple and naturally aspirated. Plus can't beat the gas mileage that I'm getting out of the 2.5 vs the 24T.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Outback
404 Posts
Sent an email over to Crawford Performance asking them about their Billet Power Blocks. Not sure if anyone else is interested, if so, definitely shoot them an email so they know that there's some interest.

These billet power blocks (BPB) were tested independently on the FRS/BRZ/86 platform and seemed to give some gains.

MotoIQ did some testing as well.

Some googling also showed that the Crosstrek crowd seems to like them.

May be the little mod some people want to bump power a little bit. While not the power of the XT 2.4T, bumping up the power a little bit never hurts.
Manifold spacers and all that sorts stuff is an extremely touchy subject. If they are built right and the car is tuned afterwards, then yes, they can add some decent power plus it adds ports for nitrous or water/meth. Otherwise they are mostly useless for daily drivers. I went through this for years with the ST/RS's. The gains were never that impressive even on fully tuned stage 3+ cars vs the costs of the part itself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Manifold spacers and all that sorts stuff is an extremely touchy subject. If they are built right and the car is tuned afterwards, then yes, they can add some decent power plus it adds ports for nitrous or water/meth. Otherwise they are mostly useless for daily drivers. I went through this for years with the ST/RS's. The gains were never that impressive even on fully tuned stage 3+ cars vs the costs of the part itself.
Completely agree. I think coming out of Crawford (a reputable company) and the multiple independent testing by not only the guy on FT86club (guy tested with tune and without a tune) but also by MotoIQ with the BRZ, it'd be worthwhile to at least test on the FB25dit.

Anyone expecting huge gains is chasing the wrong path. I think this is just something worthwhile and easy to install for a tiny bit of oomph.

I've owned multiple GTIs. No ST/RS's though. :p The latest being a turbo swapped MK7 GTI which I sold and currently waiting on the MK8 golf R or the new Audi S3. Like I said. Not chasing big gains. Just a part that has been proven on a similar N/A Subaru engine (FA20).

Figured with lightweight wheels, strut bar, pitch mount, transmission mount insert, figured this was a good modification.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,262 Posts
It sounds like you're experienced enough to not expect the thing to do what it can't and if you decide to put it in, please provide a detailed account of the process and results - there may be others that want to follow in your footsteps although personally I don't think the improvement would be worthwhile unless you can tune it yourself competently or know someone who can.

Reactions: EgregiousBlunder

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like you're experienced enough to not expect the thing to do what it can't and if you decide to put it in, please provide a detailed account of the process and results - there may be others that want to follow in your footsteps although personally I don't think the improvement would be worthwhile unless you can tune it yourself competently or know someone who can.
Was hoping there'd be someone interested AND that Crawford would be interested in testing it out. Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near Crawford performance.

Based on the back to back to back dyno testing on the BRZ, it looks like there was significant gain. More so than an intake anyways. Now if you're talking about $$ per horsepower gain... yeah definitely not great.

The BRZ gained 7.4% at 6500 rpm without a tune. Gained 14% with a tune. Assuming the FB25dit responded the same, you'd gain something. More than a drop in filter or an intake anyways.

But like I said and others have said as well... no clue how the FB25dit will react to it. Unlike the BRZ, we don't have ECUTek or OpenFlash like the BRZ does, so tuning it out. You'd be stuck at the potential gains of having no tune. So worth it for the $$ per horsepower gain? Prob not. But is this another part that could be available to someone that wants to go this route? Maybe? I think if testing was done and there was a showing of say 10% gains in a legitimate testing fashion (and it doesn't screw up the AFR), I'd imagine there'd be some interest.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,262 Posts
I thought you were going to proceed and be the guinea pig. As mentioned in the BRZ thread, the guy purposely put the ECU in a no-learn condition so that it wouldn't auto-tune. To some extent our CPU's will auto-tune, but not things like changing AVCS timing to fully take advantage of a changed runner length.

Wonder if @west_minist at XRT tuning has a comment?

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Outback
404 Posts
Completely agree. I think coming out of Crawford (a reputable company) and the multiple independent testing by not only the guy on FT86club (guy tested with tune and without a tune) but also by MotoIQ with the BRZ, it'd be worthwhile to at least test on the FB25dit.

Anyone expecting huge gains is chasing the wrong path. I think this is just something worthwhile and easy to install for a tiny bit of oomph.

I've owned multiple GTIs. No ST/RS's though. :p The latest being a turbo swapped MK7 GTI which I sold and currently waiting on the MK8 golf R or the new Audi S3. Like I said. Not chasing big gains. Just a part that has been proven on a similar N/A Subaru engine (FA20).

Figured with lightweight wheels, strut bar, pitch mount, transmission mount insert, figured this was a good modification.
Boomba built mine for the ST and RS, but the whole idea behind it for my builds was water/meth injection for track days so it may it super easy to install. We did see slight increases in hp/tq but nothing to write home about. At the end of the day it all adds up though. But if these things are 2-500 bucks, totally not worth it on a daily driven non tracked car in my eyes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts