Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Limited Outback fully loaded
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crazy insane led headlights from Europe?

About a month ago I found a link here on the forum to someone in Germany that had made LED headlights and tail lamps and they look insane! For the life of me, I cannot find it! Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
As far as I know, they don't make LED "headlights" (high or low beams) in Gremany. That would be illegal even there with their TUV (DOT)..... What they make are "driving daylight" LED lights...and probably tail lights. But both of those LED applications you can buy here in the States as well.

Update: I was wrong - they do make them in Germany; i.e. hig/low beams in Germany. Sorry, I was wrong!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, I'm not assuming that Germany makes them :) it was somebody that lives in Germany. A company that mods them :) i just can't seem to find the thread! And trust me, these were nothing like what you can find in the states....

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
I don't think that technology is here yet whereas you would be able to "beam" LEDs into such intensity and in conformity with the law.
In Germany they have high output DRL LEDs, as you can see on some current Audi, BMW and Benz models that sell on these shores. But you can achieve same "high" intensity with LEDs available here in the States. I would say that the person who claims they have it (low/high beams), is just bluffing....or bragging...LOL.. but, if you have seen a mod to that effect, it would be interesting to see, what it is... but I am quite sceptical because that kind of modification would not (in my opinion) be worth the money spent so that you would just have a "cool" looking car...

Update: Apparently, I was wrong. There is such thing as driving LED lights in Germany. See below....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"I don't think that technology is here yet whereas you would be able to "beam" LEDs into such intensity and in conformity with the law."

FOUND IT: Russian:

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
No wonder - Germany would never allow that kind of lights on their roadways....

UPDATE: Apparently, I was wrong... there is such thing in Germany. See posts below.... sorry

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
I didn't know that - thanks for info...I was wrong then ... great!

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
454 Posts
No wonder - Germany would never allow that kind of lights on their roadways....
Not true - Audi was one of the first to utilize solely LED headlights in Germany with the newest A6. And I'm not talking DRL, but actual LED headlamps. The technology has trickled all the way down to the Honda Accord now on their highest trim V6 model.

Edit just saw your post above :29:

Regarding output, they frankly seem no different to me than a standard projector-beam HID setup. I see an A6 with LED headlights every morning coming to work and I see nothing special about them other than they just look great on the A6's already gorgeous front end

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Not true - Audi was one of the first to utilize solely LED headlights in Germany with the newest A6. And I'm not talking DRL, but actual LED headlamps. The technology has trickled all the way down to the Honda Accord now on their highest trim V6 model.

Edit just saw your post above :29:

Regarding output, they frankly seem no different to me than a standard projector-beam HID setup. I see an A6 with LED headlights every morning coming to work and I see nothing special about them other than they just look great on the A6's already gorgeous front end
Like I've said. I didn't know that... thanks for enhancing my brain! I did update my earlier posts...

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Dusting off my EU passport... will go and check them out later this year!

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
I do think LEDs for the OB would be a good choice given the PITA changing a bulb is.
LEDs are becoming more and more mainstream.
At issue is the cost which is a real driver even in quanity...

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
Led lights that are powerfull produce heat, and are heat sensitive, all those led plug in lights that goes in head lights are worthless,to be bright enough they will produce lots of heat and will need to be displaced by heat sinks most auto makers cant keep them cool enough to be efficient

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Aren't most heat sinks metal so they would be adding weight to the vehicle while manufacturers are trying to shed the weight....I am not really completely familiar with this technology so I am just speculating...

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
Aren't most heat sinks metal so they would be adding weight to the vehicle while manufacturers are trying to shed the weight....I am not really completely familiar with this technology so I am just speculating...
Yea they are but i can see the heat from the motor/ car be a problem, i deal with leds in flash lights and spot lights we deal with the same heat and power issues

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
515 Posts
That's really smart - red colored lighting on the front. Perfect for some drunken idiot to think he's following you when he's heading right at you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts