Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 limited that is driving me crazy! I noticed a "chirping" like noise coming from the glove box/passenger dash area the other day. I took the entire passenger side glove box trim out exposing what I thought would be a straight forward noise test and find, but not the case. AC blows cold, heat works, all AC modes work without noise (seems as though some other people hear the doors open and close for foot-defrost-chest modes), but mine is not making any of those noises. The chirp exists with AC on or off, circulation or re-cirulation on or off.

The noise is only heard in low rpm when shifting into next gear (2nd to 3rd shift, I hear it once 3rd engages and only for 4-5 seconds until rpms reach greater than 3500rpm or so). The noise stays on in 4th gear when cruising due to the RPMs remaining in that less than 3500 zone.

As soon as I take my foot off the gas, noise is GONE... tap the gas pedal for a sec, noise is there again, let off gas noise gone...

Is there a unit in passenger side dash area that spins or moves with the RPM of the motor? It sounds like its coming from the glove box, but like I said, I took all of that out and drove car around the problem was still there.

While I had glove box out, I replaced my in cabin filter and it was FILTHY! I dont know if that could cause anything. Also, I live in a VERY humid area, and I am second owner. So if AC was run heavily from 1st owner, maybe this is the blower motor?? I am out of my knowledge realm on this one...

Sorry for the ranting and the length of this post, but this noise is driving me CRAZY and I need to fix it asap! Please, any input is welcomed with open arms. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Find out what the chirping noise was?

Did you ever find out what the chirping noise was? I think I have exactly the same noise in my '05 Outback... driving me crazy, too.

·
Registered
664 Posts
scoutback!,

Noises heard from the car's interior are really hard to pinpoint with any accuracy. I'd start by looking under the car at the heat shields. That sounds more likely to me. Good Luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 05 Limited and I just started hearing this a couple weeks ago. Mine chirps at any speed (although it does come and go for no apparent reason), with or without the AC on and it sounds like it's coming from the middle of the dash behind the center air vents. The chirp varies also. I took the cubby and vents out last weekend but didn't find anything obvious making the noise.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is it chirping or creaking?

Others have noted that chirping may be caused by the serpentine belt. That belt would be the first one I look at changing before going with other things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Definitely chirping, sounds like a baby bird! The belts were replaced at 100k. I went over to the LegacyGT forum and found a thread indicating that it may be the blower motor. I would assume that the belt would be heard outside the car so I'll check that but I'm now inclined to think it's the blower.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Definitely chirping, sounds like a baby bird! The belts were replaced at 100k. I went over to the LegacyGT forum and found a thread indicating that it may be the blower motor. I would assume that the belt would be heard outside the car so I'll check that but I'm now inclined to think it's the blower.
Yeah, I had to replace the blower motor because it was making this low pitch whirring sound that drove me insane!

It's really easy to replace and part is cheap from eBay. :29:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-2005-legacy-gt-blower-motor-171888.html?t=171888&highlight=blower+noise

·
Registered
40 Posts
So I have this same problem. Mine will do it even with the car off. I will cycle the ignition from off to on (chirping starts at this point) and then off, and the chirping noise continues for about 10 seconds until going silent. This definitely rules out air in the cooling system.

Basically driving the car has no effect with regards to increasing or decreasing the chirping. Seems it is related to the initial "on" phase. 2005 OBXT here with 90k miles

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've never noticed it with the ignition off. Could it be the blower motor spinning down? I ordered a motor off ebay, really interested to see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Replaced the blower last weekend and I'm still getting chirping noises. Is there anything else behind the dash that could cause intermittent chirping of varying rhythms? Also, after I ordered the part, it went a whole week without a chirp.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any update on this?

I am having same issue - 06 obxt - I think it might have to do with vent controls/servo motors that change the air flow. I get odd sounds when I switch from upper vents to upper/lower and so on. I also get a gurgling sound from the center dash after turning the car off.

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
Any update on this?

I am having same issue - 06 obxt - I think it might have to do with vent controls/servo motors that change the air flow. I get odd sounds when I switch from upper vents to upper/lower and so on. I also get a gurgling sound from the center dash after turning the car off.

blend doors dragging in the ducts/plenum w'ever

·
Registered
7 Posts
At various times I've had gurgling, scratching, clicking (the clicking was real bad last summer but so far it's been quiet this year - and I did find out what was causing that). The chirping is new and sounds likes it's coming from behind the glove box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't feel bad guys. Just got a brand new Outback and there is this intermittent chirping sound coming from the right passenger side. This is the way new cars use to be. I am shocked and disappointed and can't get an answer from the dealer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
sligoker
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing