Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6l Touring
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have driven 25k miles on my 2017. I have noticed that there is suspension creaking noises that are really noticeable at slower speeds. I think it is the front struts making the noise. Has anyone else noticed this problem? Any suggestions on how to quiet things down?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,621 Posts
warranty still good?, record the sound, if possible, take the service writer for a drive and duplicate the noise for him.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R touring
12 Posts
I have similar problem. Mechanic could not duplicate and told me it was noise from interior of my car from items in center console rattling. It frustrates me when a they think women are stupid! It is definitely coming from front driver side engine compartment/suspension. Sounds similar to suspension issues I had on prior car (another mftr). I saw two posts and can't find them at moment - one referenced possible loose weld points on body panel and another ended up being an issue with steering rack apring and said to see TSB #04-17-17R. 2017 outback. Good luck. My noise is noticeable at low speed and on rough pavement. Different noise than tire noise over rough road. When I had suspension issues on old car I noticed it when turning into our sloped driveway that has a small 1-2" lip higher than street.

My radio head unit died (another known problem with '18 models) and was without bluetooth hands free calling or radio for 3 weeks. Believe me you hear all the rattles when you spend 3 weeks driving in silence.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6l Touring
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe it is the dampener on the struts, like you I hear it at low speeds on washboard road surfaces. It is quiet at freeway speeds. I have not figured out how to spray the dampener with silicone spray. It is sealed from the top. If I put it on a lift the suspension may drop enough to spray it down. I will give that a try.

·
Registered
362 Posts
lots of people have the same issue. took my car in and test rode with a tech. he says its caused by "excessive steering gear backlash." theyre replacing the steering rack. take the car in.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Mine had front left noises also. After a ride along they came up with caliper slide pins. I told them about the TSB for steering rack spring. They went ahead with the pins. No fix. They wanted to do rack replacement. I pleaded to do TSB. They went with TSB and all is well. No more grinding/creaking/rattling noises.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a similar issue. They told me they found a piece of loose plastic and after removing it the issue stopped. Drove me crazy because it took 4 trips to the dealer to sort this out.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 3.6R touring
12 Posts
‘18 outback Second trip for noise they found a problem with steering rack. Noise heard at ow speed on uneven pavement. Special order for steering rack so took 10 days. While replacing they found my cooling fans are cracked and not turning properly. Mechanic said 2nd ‘18 OB he had seen this month with fan problem. Luckily mine was found before breaking and causing engine to overheat. Other customer had fan break and go into radiator. Reliability beginning to approach my Buick Enclave which is not comforting. Also my dealer never seems to have parts in stock. Another 4 day wait for fan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts