Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2001 outback sport
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post, yea Subi :D bought a 2001 5spd MT outback from a friend for 3400.00, it needed a bit of work just to get it on the road. Have recently discovered that the chirping noise that i thought was my serpentine belts (replaced) was actually coming from my transmission. With the slightest amount pressure on the clutch pedal the chirping sound will stop. The clutch was done about 30k ago, so it seams early for a bearing failure. My first though was throwout bearing but, that should be disengaged until the clutch is depressed. Second thought was pilot bearing? not sure what to make of it. The clutch feels solid, engages smoothly and does not slip. Any reason i should replace clutch just to deal with an annoying chirping sound. :confused:

-thanks in advance for any advice/help...

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
It could be the release bearing. It could just be in contact with the spring plate and when you push on the clutch its in full contact. If its not chirping or noisy on application, it just means the installer didn't lube everything proper and you could wait until the next clutch.

Turn the stereo up. ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts