Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. My daughter and fiance just picked up a 2018 Outback Premium with moonroof.

Trying to surprise them with some accessories

Is there a Subaru accessory set of Cross Bars that fit?

All my searches come up with an aero cross bar set Part Number: E361SSG000,
but it looks like that fits the Forrester

Any third party options?

They are big on the outdoor life year round and have some kind of plan to be able to someday put a tent on top, when they camp. (I'm not buying them that!)

Thanks for your help
Wayne

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am surprised - Found a video. They are built into the long rails and swing over when needed.

Less money to spend and genius engineering.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,094 Posts
Yup, that would (or SHOULD) have been covered for them during their delivery tour of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5. RIP, 2018 Subaru OB Premium
18 Posts
If they spend a lot of time outdoors and plan on hauling various items like bikes or boats or even getting roof top tent in the future I'd recommend going with an after market rack system. The factory bars have limitations and from my experiance have too much flex and a limited amount of surface area. The first thing I did when I purchased my 2018 Premium was upgrade the racks. I spend a lot of time outside and almost always have my cargo box attached and some combo of boats and bikes when I travel.
Yakima is my preferred company and they have several options for the Outback. They would a base rack system to start and with that the options for attachments are seemingly endless. You would need Yakima Landing Pads,Towers and Cross Bars to for a complete base set up. You can go to a site like eTrailer.com or go directly to Yakima.com and plug the cars specs in for all of your options. Price wise for Yakima your in the $400-$500 range for a setup like this. I found that Amazon is a good resource for nicely discounted used bars and towers .

Yakima Landing Pad 15(This allows the aftermarket "towers" to adapt to the car)
Skyline Towers
Cross Bars(3 options): Round,Core Bar or JetStream

Lots of options here: https://www.etrailer.com/roof-2018_subaru_outback+wagon.htm?style=excluding+Touring

https://www.yakima.com ( you can call them direct if you have questions. Awesome Customer Service)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
196 Posts
So do you install aftermarket racks to the factory pieces that run front to back on the car, or do those have to be removed to make way for the new ones? Do you have pics of the aftermarket ones on your Outback?

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
471 Posts
So do you install aftermarket racks to the factory pieces that run front to back on the car, or do those have to be removed to make way for the new ones? Do you have pics of the aftermarket ones on your Outback?
With the Yakima Landing Pad 15 plus Skyline tower plus cross bar of your choice, you remove the existing factory cross bars and install the Landing Pads at the mounting points for the factory bar. The Torx screw driver Subaru provided with the car, is all that's needed to remove the factory bars.

The Yak system then has the Landing Pads (with all tools required as part of the kit) stay on the car. The pads have removable covers that once removed allows the Skyline Towers to install (a simple clip release and engage system). If you leave the factory bars assembled on the towers, it takes about 30 sec., maybe a minute to put the rack on the car. I keep my towers/bars and bike trays all assembled, so easy to put the bike rack on the car. I typically remove the rack system (leaving the Landing Pads) for winter to facilitate snow removal off the roof.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
471 Posts
More photo's of the Yak system

Attachments

Reactions: WES4BECK

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also got a 2018 premium. I got rid of the normal rails and got the touring rails. They hold more weight and have a way better configeration for width between bars.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
It was about $700. $500 for the rails and about $200 for the install. Ordered the rails onkine and had a dealer install them.

·
Registered
2011 outback 3.6R LT. 2015 Outback 2.5 (white) eyesight, tow pakage, skid plate, moon roof
455 Posts
Wrecking yards do not have a demand for top rails. I got a set for a SUV ( from a aLL foreigne auto parts} I didnt like there price. On way out door I offered the $50.00. They took the green and told me I would have to remove them myself. It was a very easy install of about a half hour.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Premium
4 Posts
I also got a 2018 premium. I got rid of the normal rails and got the touring rails. They hold more weight and have a way better configeration for width between bars.

What are the weight rating differences? Source?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lightningguy or others - would one of you be willing to measure distance between bar end & point where tower connects to bar? And possibly even post a picture? i’m trying to figure out if I used the Yakima landing pad 15s if I would need 60 inch Yakima bars in order to attach a Thule Hullavator, or I could get by with 50 inch bars. Thule manual indicates that bar must extend 4-8 inches beyond foot, per this screenshot

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts