Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone significantly compared the two vehicles?? Thoughts, choices, experiences, ended up purchasing, etc???

I'm looking at both 2020's top of the line, Outback Touring XT vs Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD. Things that have me concerned is the Hyundai get's mediocre fuel economy for the class, possibility of it's electronics not being as reliable. Things like the remote start via the smartphone app takes longer than Subaru's version, rain sensing wipers seem to be erratic. I do like over the Outback more front storage due to being an 1" or so wider, some nifty safety tech like blind spot view,a 360 view camera.
For the 2020 Outback I was told $39k. For the Santa Fe after discounts, $37k. And Subaru is offering 2.9% financing rate vs Hyundai's 0%.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Has anyone significantly compared the two vehicles?? Thoughts, choices, experiences, ended up purchasing, etc???

I'm looking at both 2020's top of the line, Outback Touring XT vs Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD. Things that have me concerned is the Hyundai get's mediocre fuel economy for the class, possibility of it's electronics not being as reliable. Things like the remote start via the smartphone app takes longer than Subaru's version, rain sensing wipers seem to be erratic. I do like over the Outback more front storage due to being an 1" or so wider, some nifty safety tech like blind spot view,a 360 view camera.
For the 2020 Outback I was told $39k. For the Santa Fe after discounts, $37k. And Subaru is offering 2.9% financing rate vs Hyundai's 0%.
And Hyundai offers a better power train warranty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We looked at 2019 Outback 2.5i vs 2019 Santa Fe base 2.4

Santa Fe was more quieter but seemed slower then Outback [they both weigh about the same; like less then 100 lbs diff]

Santa Fe did more feel/look more upscale [both were base models] due to Santa Fe being redesigned and Outback about to be redesigned.

Santa Fe was FWD vs std AWD on Outback

Santa Fe was about 2k more.

Flatter second row floor in Santa Fe [no hump] vs Outback

On paper it would seem Santa Fe has more roomy second row but we tried on same day and with 3 in 2nd row the Outback was roomier.

Santa Fe has potentially troublesome 2.4 engine

Outback longer by few inched but less wide by about 1-2"

Better mileage with Outback even though it weighs a bit more, has less hp/torque and is AWD.

We chose 2019 Outback base. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I’ve seen nearly all good reviews of Hyundai in terms of recent electronics. The gas mileage gives me pause but I’d be very tempted to buy the Hyundai in the case of the OP.

One recent review of the new turbo Outbacks I saw made a convincing case that the driving dynamics of the car don’t match the power of the engine. Anyone have thoughts on that?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I’ve seen nearly all good reviews of Hyundai in terms of recent electronics. The gas mileage gives me pause but I’d be very tempted to buy the Hyundai in the case of the OP.

One recent review of the new turbo Outbacks I saw made a convincing case that the driving dynamics of the car don’t match the power of the engine. Anyone have thoughts on that?
A link to the review might be helpful.

I've always liked the level of convenience features hyundai puts in their cars. Good price point. I am guessing they fixed the paint peeling stuff in the santa fe models by now.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Depends on what was meant by that. Too much power for the handling of the car? Not enough power to make use of the handling of the car? I'm sure there are people who would reach either one of those conclusions depending on preferences.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Depends on what was meant by that. Too much power for the handling of the car? Not enough power to make use of the handling of the car? I'm sure there are people who would reach either one of those conclusions depending on preferences.
also there isn't any context without reading/viewing the rest of the review.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Might also want to look at 2019 Sorento, very similar to Santa Fe; but not redesigned like SF. The V6 would be nice.
It appears the top of the line Sorento is a little pricier than both top of the lines Outback & Santa Fe.

·
Registered
35 Posts

The Mazda CX5 has good pricing too compared to OB 2.4 engine and Turbo. But about 12 inches shorter in length.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only thing steering me away from Mazda is that their app based remote start, which is a niceity I actually use. Is actually a horrendous antenna mounted inside the windshield. Yes, this is Mazda's anywhere smartphone remote start. Where as Hyundai and Subaru have cellular on board and built-in.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sat in top of the line 19' CX-5 today. Not bad for me being 6'1". But think it'll be hard to compete with top of the line 2020 Outback for seat comfort now that a thigh extender is offered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you put your hands on them yet? I was debating between the two (not top trim line, but high enough to get leather). On paper, I was pretty set on the Santa Fe. The warranty is better and I was coming off a 12 year old trouble-free Hyundai Sonata, so I had some loyalty there and was concerned about reliability of a brand I had never owned. My impressions:

I sat in a 2019 Subaru Outback Limited to start. The interior was really nice and felt high-quality. The visibility is fantastic out the back/side windows. The back seat and cargo area were roomy, but the cargo space with the seats up didn't amaze me. I really like the space when the back seats are folded down. I was really impressed but did not test drive at that time. Then I sat in a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe (Limited I think). I was underwhelmed. The interior did not feel as nice and the visibility was MUCH worse in my opinion. When I look over my shoulder, all I see is solid car in the back. (I had the same impression of the CX-5.) This seemed to be improved on the 2020 when I looked a few weeks later - maybe the very back side window was a little bigger but I can't say for sure. Also, on the 2019, when I released the back seats from the cargo area, they slammed into the back of the front seats. The 2019 had adjustable rear seats (slides fwd and back), so you have to go adjust the position. This also leaves a gap in the back when they are laid down, which seems like a good way for my dog to break her leg. Over all seemed to be a terrible design (at least for my needs). They have changed this on the 2020, so maybe everything is lined up and this won't happen. The seat backs were more difficult to return to the upright position.

Those few little things were enough that I didn't even test drive the Santa Fe. I was really disappointed and tried so hard to make it the leader - I looked at a 2017 or 2018 top trim line to see if pre-redesign would be better and also a 2020, hoping that they would overcome my disappointment in the 2019 I first saw. No joy. I ended up buying a 2019 Outback R limited a couple of weeks ago and love it so far. All that to say, go sit in them - I was surprised at how differently I felt about each of them when i was going in with some major Hyundai love.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Owned one Hyundai. One, and it was against my better judgement after years in the industry. Never again. I would not recommend their products for anything other than a 3 year lease or less.

Hyundai and Kia offer a great value proposition...At purchase. But, maintenance schedules and costs add up fast, and the warranty has more holes in it than swiss cheese. After 5 years our Veloster felt like a car that was 15 years old. Rattles, squeaks etc galore. And, the resale value of Korean cars is still low; mainly because people know they don't hold up as well as Japanese, European or even American brands.

Hyundai and Kia are price competitors - they give you more than Honda, Toyota, etc for less money. That comes at a cost, which is quality.

Off soapbox....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts