Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5L Limited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a front dash speaker fail in my 2010 Limited (HK setup, no nav) and went ahead and picked up a set of Polk DB 6052 component speakers. To make a long story short, I'm trying to figure out where exactly to splice in the Polk crossovers to make everything sound right. I'm not an audio person so please excuse any bad terminology and feel free to correct me.

There's a lot going on with the HK setup that feels way over my head. I understand the stock HK amp is dividing up the frequencies using its own special logic. This makes it hard to understand how the aftermarket crossovers should be connected since there's no "full spectrum" output coming out of the HK amp to feed into the crossover. It feels like whatever I do, there's going to be some serious frequency holes once everything is connected.

The most logical advice I've gotten so far, from Crutchfield, is to take the dash speaker wires as an input to the Polk crossovers and the run that to the aftermarket component tweeters. But that means the door woofers will be getting the frequency range that the HK amp is putting out, not the frequency range that the Polk crossovers want them to have. Is the right answer that nothing will really work with the stock HK amp and that needs to get replaced?

Any words of wisdom?

·
Premium Member
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,300 Posts
Oh god I just started sticking my head into the HK system. It's a **** show. First off. You'll need to power those speakers off a new, clean, full-range signal. I haven't put a scope/analyzer on the thing yet, but if Crutchfield says tap the dash, tap the dash, but there's not much power to be had from there. More than directly from a deck though, so there's that.

Ideally, run new wires and stuff the crossovers under the driver's seat or somewhere else hidden. That's what I'm aiming for but somewhat failing at. PITA scale 9/10

Barring that, there's two other options I can think of:
1) Tap the harness at the door. In my photo, the solid white and solid red in the corner go to the door woofer, driver's side. Check your service manual diagrams for what's where. Pop those out and connect 'em to your crossover's woofer output. PITA scale: 5/10

2) bypass the HK amp altogether and tap in at the harness under the passenger seat. This won't work if you're still using factory head unit because you'd need another amp (even the one built into the deck). Least likely and most expensive scenario. PITA scale: 8/10

·
Registered
2010 2.5L Limited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice and shared misery. Always good to have company.

My strong impression was that the Crutchfield reference materials do not match up with the reality of the HK system -- or at least my impression of the HK system -- so my confidence in their advice isn't high. I kept asking , "don't I need to pass a full signal through to the crossover in order for it to do its job properly?" and never got a response that totally made sense. If the dash speaker is actually receiving a full range signal from the amp, it should be possible to push that through the crossover to both the dash and the door, but then I'd expect the entire front system would be at significantly reduced power. I'll wire up one side and just see what happens. Maybe doing that with a heavy hand on the fade will give me a reasonable result.

I'll report back...

·
Premium Member
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,300 Posts
The power numbers on these HK systems are inflated anyway, they use some "equivalent watts" bullshit, but yes; you will be operating at significantly reduced power. One quick way to test if the dash is putting out full range is just drive the Polk woofer/midbass directly from those wires and see if you get excursion.

·
Registered
2010 2.5L Limited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Connecting the woofer directly to the tweeter wires results in a very sad sounding woofer trying to be a tweeter. I may not have the most finely tuned ear but I don't think I can misinterpret what's going on: the dash line is high pass filtered from the amp.

I think I'll just leave things as they are for a while and hope inspiration strikes. Maybe I'll call Crutchfield and just give them some feedback? If I hadn't already thrown out all the extra hardware and packaging I'd be tempted to return the components. (Note to self: it's ok to keep the original packaging for a while!)

·
Registered
2009 3.0R Outback
498 Posts
This setup isn't going to work. Other than the fact the factory amp already splits the frequencies, the OEM speakers are 2ohm, so you will end up with half the power output. Your only real options are to totally replace the factory amp, or just replace the blown speaker with another OEM.

·
Registered
252 Posts
How about 2ohm aftermarket speakers and ditch their crossover, letting the HK amp continue making its own choices? Not optimized for the new drivers, but way easier and probably not all that far off.

·
Registered
2009 3.0R Outback
498 Posts
How about 2ohm aftermarket speakers and ditch their crossover, letting the HK amp continue making its own choices? Not optimized for the new drivers, but way easier and probably not all that far off.
I've looked at this option to replace the blown door speaker in my '09. The few options out there are high end and cost big money. The cheapest set I found was from CDT for $200. Even a used OEM door speaker goes for $50 on ebay though, so I still haven't done anything about it.

·
Premium Member
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,300 Posts
If there's interest, I can try to determine the rolloff frequency for the HK amp crossovers. Determine if it's close to certain aftermarket speaker crossovers.

·
Premium Member
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,300 Posts
In the middle of a LOT of personal chaos at the moment. This is something I wanted to do for the 01-04 McAmp and didn't, so I might need a nudge if I don't get this done in the next month or two, even though I know some of you want the info sooner, I apologize.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,257 Posts
this is what I would do..... find the signal from the head unit and run it straight to your own amp

1 - 15 of 15 Posts