Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

Been trying to diagnose a cruise control issue in my '01 VDC. I suspect the actuator is messed up. The light goes on at the switch, but attempting to set the cruise control does nothing. Canceling the cruise control, after several tries, causes the light to extinguish with an audible click from the module underneath the dash. The CC light then can't be reactivated until the car is turned off and on again.

I measured the voltage at the plug that attaches to the Actuator both with the CC switch off and on. With it ON, it is definitely getting 12-14 volts as opposed to off with 0. This is what led me to believe its the actuator.

It sounds like something is loose/moving inside the actuator box. Don't know if that is normal or its definitely broken. Anyone have any experience messing with one of these?

I want to open it up, but it's a sealed case and I don't want to screw it up in case its not really the problem.

Let me know what ya'll think!

Thanks!

P.S. The part number is 87012AE15A. I'm seeing a lot of 87012AE10A around, I wonder if it would work? Could there really be that big of a difference between the 2.5 and 3.0l actuator?

·
Registered
4 Posts
gravarch, did you ever get your CC fixed? I'm having the same symptoms, and the shop says I need an actuator. My clock spring and brake pedal switch are OK. I'm considering ordering the part (87012AE15A - I also have the 3.0L) and installing it myself, but I haven't found any information regarding replacement. It looks pretty straightforward. I looked it up in the Haynes/Chiltons manual, but they just say "OMGCALLDEALERLOL," so I'm wondering if there's something that needs to be done with the electronics - pairing, calibration, etc.. or if it just drops in and works.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,121 Posts
there was a recall for some Outbacks that required a clip to be installed at the throttle. maybe your clip has flown off.

double check that the CC cable is in place on its 'bell crank' w'ever at the throttlebody.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@Texan - Thanks for the tip. There doesn't appear to be an issue with the cable on mine. (Looks like you have the same car, as me - '03 H6 OBW - was yours recalled for the clip?)

What I'm really looking for, however, is removal/installation procedures. It looks simple enough - a wiring harness, a few bolts, and a throttle cable. If that's all there is to it, and nothing needs to be programmed, I should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
Fiver, are you getting a signal from the steering wheel control button? Did you check the resistance?

·
Registered
4 Posts
@cardoc - I can turn the CC on using the dash button. When I try to set it using the steering control, it shuts off, so the steering control is sending a signal. The brake switch is intact and functioning. The clock spring checks out also.

I had the car in the dealer a few years ago, and they said it needed an actuator. But they wanted $500 or more to do it, even though they will sell me the part for $200. The chiltons manual claims it is not a DIY part, citing lack of necessary equipment. All that made me hesitant to try doing it myself without looking for more info. (That's an old quote and a new part price, so it's possible the price has come down in the last few years)

I'm pretty confident it's the actuator, but, in the absence of any repair documentation, less confident that I can just drop in a new one and have it "just work."

I think it's time to just order the part and find out.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,121 Posts
maybe dig around at opposedforces.com and find a diagram of the actuator at least.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Texan. I had a diagram, but the site you suggested had a better one.

For anyone interested, the actuator is extremely easy to replace. A few 10 mm bolts in the mounting brackets, a 12 mm nut on the throttle cable, and one wiring harness that unplugs easily. It took me about 40 minutes, but I could probably do it in about half that. I was in no rush and reused the zip tie that secures the cable to the rear motor mount.

The good news is it fixed my problem and I now have cruise control again.

·
Registered
02 L.L Bean
22 Posts
So if you activate the button on the dash and then pull the CC lever on the steering wheel and the light on the dash button goes off that means the steering wheel lever is working good???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts