Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an 05 outback xt a few months ago. First drive cruise control cut out and light started blinking, but not Cel came on. Since then I've had in 10 times, yes 10 times at two different shops, including Subaru dealership, to no avail. Plugs, maf, knock sensor and throttle body have been replaced. Running 92 gas doesn't help. Cruise start blinking under heavy acceleration. When cruise works, it surges and occelates on and off, really annoying and undrivable. Everything on the car is stock as far as I can tell,.except previous owner replaced clutch himself. Under accelation the car stutters a bit, but has plenty of power. Seems like the knock sensor keeps tripping? No codes have ever been thrown, been hooked up to the code reader multiple times. Any ideas? Any help is appreciated as I'm at a total loss. Thanks.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,669 Posts
CEL is mainly for monitoring federally-mandated emissions failures which would indicate your vehicle emissions do not meet specifications.

The "cruze control" would flash if it is disabled (often because a problem was detected)

In any case - most autoparts stores will "read" the stored codes for free which will indicate where the problem is located. HOWEVER: Do not fall for any sales-pitch that you can 'fix' the problem by buying something from them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CEL is mainly for monitoring federally-mandated emissions failures which would indicate your vehicle emissions do not meet specifications.

The "cruze control" would flash if it is disabled (often because a problem was detected)

In any case - most autoparts stores will "read" the stored codes for free which will indicate where the problem is located. HOWEVER: Do not fall for any sales-pitch that you can 'fix' the problem by buying something from them.
Okay, I understand all that. Sorry if this come across wrong, but how does any of that help my issue specifically? Also, there is no code being thrown...and I've taken it to the dealership and independent shop, not an autoparts store.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L XT Limited
311 Posts
In our model cars, the cruise control is built into the ECU or at lease it is in my car. According to this forum, it looks like the OBD2 scan tool, needs to be connected and the CEL codes need to be cleared. Chances are their might be a pending code stuck in the ECU.

·
Registered
MY05 Outback 2.5i
1 Posts
My 05 Outback randomly flashes the cruise light with no CEL, the error code it throws for the cruise is "23 - 'Engine Related Sensor Malfunction' yet there is no error codes (not even any pending codes) on the engine with a scan tool. I suspect my issue is related to the cat converter because once its warmed up and you restart the car it works without fault - combined with things I've read online.

The OP's car sounds a lot like bad knock sensors to me

grab a OBD2 scan tool cable and download FreeSSM and see whats going on whilst its actually being driven (you can plot sensors and things). I use this cable with FreeSSM Subaru FreeSSM Car Fault Code Readers Diagnosis Cable

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
1,286 Posts
Have any of the hub/wheel bearings been replaced on the car ?

Your not getting a CEL, just flashing CC. That tells me you have a front hub/wheel bearing that has a issue.

Years ago after replacing one of my front hubs with hub from Moog, the car drove fine until after a few miles on CC. It would begin to surge and then drop out of CC, no CEL.

I found the issue by taking the car to my trusted mechanic, he plugged in his computer to the OBD2 port set it up to read wheel speed and told me to drive the car. While driving I could see the right front wheel speed was reading different then the others.

I replaced the Moog hub with OEM and got my money back from the auto parts store for the Moog.
There are other front hubs that work in these cars too, such as Timken, NSF, NKN, and a few other higher priced hubs.

You can reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes, if you need to do that.

Reactions: Flood1913

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In our model cars, the cruise control is built into the ECU or at lease it is in my car. According to this forum, it looks like the OBD2 scan tool, needs to be connected and the CEL codes need to be cleared. Chances are their might be a pending code stuck in the ECU.

I'll take a look at that, but as far as I know there are no codes. It's been hooked up to a reader a few times and nothing shows up. Would anything else be causing the issue? Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have any of the hub/wheel bearings been replaced on the car ?

Your not getting a CEL, just flashing CC. That tells me you have a front hub/wheel bearing that has a issue.

Years ago after replacing one of my front hubs with hub from Moog, the car drove fine until after a few miles on CC. It would begin to surge and then drop out of CC, no CEL.

I found the issue by taking the car to my trusted mechanic, he plugged in his computer to the OBD2 port set it up to read wheel speed and told me to drive the car. While driving I could see the right front wheel speed was reading different then the others.

I replaced the Moog hub with OEM and got my money back from the auto parts store for the Moog.
There are other front hubs that work in these cars too, such as Timken, NSF, NKN, and a few other higher priced hubs.

You can reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes, if you need to do that.
Awesome, I'll have the shop check the wheel speed, it's possible there's a bad hub that's the issue.

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
1,286 Posts
Awesome, I'll have the shop check the wheel speed, it's possible there's a bad hub that's the issue.

It's worth a shot.
I see your new here. I post this link so much but, for XT's which is basically the same as a GT, you can find lots of info here, Subaru Legacy Forums

1 - 9 of 9 Posts