Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cruise control does not work, no light, no clicking. I engage the button on the left hand side of the column and that light turns on, but when I depress (or raise) the cc arm to engage the cruise nothing happens. In the other cc threads ppl seem to have the dash light turn on, but this does not happen. I have checked the only cc fuse that I could find (under the dash) and it looks good. Is there another fuse/relay/switch etc that I'm overlooking? If not, where is the best place to begin the troubleshooting process.

I purchased this car a few days ago from an individual. The check engine light came on for a while (02 sensor issue that I'm dealing with - THX to this website). But the code has been cleared and has not returned. I have read that the check engine light will cause the cc to stop working, but the cc did not work before the light came on and is still not working. Thank you in advance! This site has already saved me nearly $2500!!!

·
Registered
18,284 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have read that thread and it may very well be the problem (already checked the plastic piece at the brake lever and thats ok). How can I troubleshoot to know if the clockspring is it? These other folks have intermittent cc problems and the cruise indicator comes on. My issue is constant and the cruise indicator does not turn on.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
I've read that if your horn does not work while trying to engage cruise control it may be the clock spring because they are on the same circuit. Plain OM will correct me as usual. I've also heard of folks using a bit of electronics or tuner knob spray and wiggling the stalk up and down and around to make better contact. With the key OFF, squirt it in where the stalk meets the steering column. Don't use too much. Let me know how it works. Mine is intermittently failing and I need a guinea pig to try this technique. ;)

·
Registered
18,284 Posts
I'm not aware of any way to test the clockspring connector without some dis-assembly to access the connectors and check for continuity between them.

·
Registered
18,284 Posts
DIY: Clockspring Replacement - 99 OBS - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com has a good explanation on how to access/change the clockspring. There might be some minor differences between models, but the basics are probably similar, if not identical.

The clockspring connector has separate wires for each of the controls that move with the steering wheel, which could include the horn, cruise control sub-switch (set, slow, resume etc), the driver airbag, and on some models, radio controls. Note: The clockspring is not necessarily the same for all models -- the number of wire connections might be different depending on the different controls on the steering wheel.

In the 2nd Gen. the cruise control sub-switch and horn do share a fuse and a 12V-carrying wire through the clockspring connector, so if the horn doesn't work as well as the cruise, then it is possible either the fuse is blown or the common wire through the clockspring connector is bad. Look at fuse #6 (15 Amps) in the main fuse box in the engine compartment. However, the cruise control sub-switch has two other wires going through the clockspring that could also cause the cruise not to work if broken.

I've attached a diagram of the sub-switch. The 12 V comes in at pin 1. When "set" is selected, 12 V is connects through the switch to pin 2 and then to the cruise control module. When "resume" is selected, 12 V connects through that switch to pin 3 and then to the cruise control module. When "cancel" is selected, the 12 V connects through the switch to both diodes and through to both pins 2 and 3. (In the latter case, 12 V on both lines to the control module is a "cancel" whereas the other two functions have 12 V on one or the other line.)

The cruise sub-switch itself does have contacts that can become problematic, but there's several contacts, and they are more likely to be intermittent before failing completely.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts