Subaru Outback Forums banner

Cruise Control not working on a 1996

23K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  kevohuevo 
#1 ·
Just bought this car and the cruise control does not work. The light on the switch works when I push it but that's about it. I searched the forum but did not find anything about this other than some people replacing the neutral safety switch. My car won't start unless I push in the clutch pedal so I'm guessing that switch is ok. Has anyone else had non functioning cruise on a 90's model and what did you to fix it? Thanks

#3 ·
I was just browsing cruise control parts on ebay and noticed there is a separate ecu for the cruise control. Anyone know where it is on the car and how to test it? The chilton manual is not very helpful. I'll try calling the dealer too but I'm pretty sure they'll just want me to bring the car in which I'd like to avoid.

#4 ·
Some more searching online found similar issues posted but no fixes. My airbag light is on but didn't think to tie it to the cruise control issue. Sound familiar to anyone?

The car has cruise, but it is currently not working due to a broken switch inside the steering column. The switch also controls the airbags, which are also not functioning. The airbag light is lit on the dash.

I am getting a red Airbag warning light on my display. Also my cruise control does not work, maybe related to the
airbag as both are under the steering wheel?

#5 ·
Why does everyone go for the expensive fixes without checking out the simple stuff first. Just because your house has a blown bulb doesnt mean you sell it.

There are serperate brake light switches for the cruise. Usually they are the reason the cruise doesnt work. they need to be adjusted or replaced. There may also be a seperate clutch switch too. Check those first.

You have an airbag under the steering sheel and over the glove box, as well as a bunch of sensors through out the car.

There is a clock spring that is common to both systems, that is easy to repair (read inexpensive). A dealer can pull the codes off the air bag system and determin whats wrong (unless you want to pull the codes yourself). This is a seperate plug from the OBDII, and someone here has the procedures.

nipper

#6 ·
nipper said:

There are serperate brake light switches for the cruise. Usually they are the reason the cruise doesnt work. they need to be adjusted or replaced. There may also be a seperate clutch switch too. Check those first.

nipper
I agree with nipper. If the car is a 5-speed, check the top of the clutch pedal. Mine was missing a cap to trigger the cruise control switch. The cruise conrtol module thought that my clutch was in the whole time, thus not allowing the module to activate cruise.

I fixed this with a small round sticker (Thick plastic) that came with something else I had lying around. Fixed it for free! I'll try to get a picture for you, I have my camera here with me and my car is out in the lot.

#7 ·
Pictures

Here are the pictures of the fix I did. It shows the clutch both in and out. You can see the white sticker that I put on the pedal to activate the switch.

In this image you can see the thick white plug on the brake pedal.

In this image you can see the plunger of the switch and where it is making contact with the sticker that I put there. I need to get something more robust, it looks as if the switch is damaging the sticker I used.

#15 ·
Thanks again! This fixed my cruise as well! I wrapped electrical tape around that portion of the pedal a couple times.
I keep wondering though....why would it be that way to begin with? Was there a little stopper there at one time that has long since been lost?

#18 ·
cruise problems

Find a wiring diagram. I got one from my local library. Alldata has it.
On Imprezza the control module is just left of the steering column on the backside of the plastic trim. It is easy to check connections to the control module connector. My problem turned out to be a bad set/resume switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.