Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 Subaru Outback wagon 2.5 liter Turbocharged. When my cruise control is on it surges up and down. This only happens on level road or downhill. It does maintain the speeds that I set it on while it surges. I also had cruise control light flash twice on me. When this happens is shut down the cruise control and I have to restart the car to get it to work again. Feedback would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
No MIL light?

What condition is the throttle body and butterfly plate in? Dirty? Loaded with carbon?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No lights come on... I have no problems with the cruise control off it excelerate smoothly on the road. I would think if the throttle body was sticking I would have problems all the time

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I replaced both wheel bearings. The first one I did last summer about the time this problem started. They are aftermarket parts

·
Registered
18,728 Posts
The cruise control depends in part on the ABS wheel speed sensor signals. On the MY05+, each wheel has a Hall (magnetic) sensor fixed to the steering knuckle. On the back of each hub there's a magnetic strip. As the hub turns, the sensor picks up the signals from the magnetic strip on the hub and sends it to the ABS module.

The magnetic strip has to be made properly, and the hub fit precisely in position so that the sensor will accurately pick up the signal. There have been cases reported here where aftermarket replacement hubs have had problems -- the cruise control malfunctions. It could be poor construction or design of the aftermarkets, but to be fair, it should also be noted that the magnetic strip can be easily damaged if magnetized tools are brought close to it during the installation, or if the hub is banged/dropped/heated, which can remove some of the magnetism.

Also, the sensor can be easily damaged, and if it was removed to replace the hub, it has to be replaced in the same location. Distance from the magnetic strip at the back of the hub is important.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i
16 Posts
so if this is the scenario on my car (sounds exactly like it) as I had the rear bearings replaced a while back, what can I do to remedy?

I'm going to be replacing the front passenger myself soon, is there anything I can check/alter/replace on the rears?

·
Registered
18,728 Posts
Unfortunately, piledriver hasn't updated the thread as of this time and we don't know with any certainty if the hub change was the cause. If it is a hub causing the unstable cruise control operation (and not, for example, a defective or improperly positioned ABS weheel sensor), then the only remedy is probably to replace the hub, again.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i
16 Posts
Unfortunately, piledriver hasn't updated the thread as of this time and we don't know with any certainty if the hub change was the cause. If it is a hub causing the unstable cruise control operation (and not, for example, a defective or improperly positioned ABS weheel sensor), then the only remedy is probably to replace the hub, again.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll likely take a peak at the ABS placement while I'm taking everything else apart and start there before I go the whole nine yards with another rear bearing replacement.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
He should get an email that post have been made, so lets wait it out til tomorrow.

·
Registered
Legacy Outback Wagon 2.5i Ltd 2005 non-turbo, manual
17 Posts
I just noticed having the same problem with my cruise control. It doesn't drive as smoothly as it did when it is on, since the front bearing was replaced. WHAT IS abs?

·
Registered
18,728 Posts
ABS = anti-lock braking system. Prevents wheels from locking up and skidding when applying the brakes very hard.

The ABS has sensors at each wheel to tell it when a wheel stops turning (skids). It requires all four sensors (four wheels) to be sending signals continuously when the car is moving.

If one sensor is not sending the proper signal, that could shut down the ABS system. It also, apparently, affects the cruise control. It appears that the cruise control also makes use of the ABS signals to determine the car's speed. If a signal is missing, or incorrect, the cruise control seems to malfunction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts