Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited Sedan, 2.5L
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched several threads related to cruise control issues, but most mentioned the light in the switch worked; mine does not. 2000 Legacy Outback Limited, auto trans. Cruise stopped working today on the drive home from work. The light in the switch no longer illuminates. Brake lights work, fuse ok. Where's the best place to start troubleshooting if the light in the switch doesn't work??? I tried to engage the cruise control despite no light in the switch, but the system is definitely dead. Open for suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
The lack of light in the switch could be two things. 1. The tiny bulb in the switch is burned out. 2. The switch is not receiving power or has failed internally.

I don't have my owner's manual on hand, but recommend you start by checking it to see which fuse is related to the cruise control. A "new" used switch can be sourced fairly easily and it is also very easy to replace. Let us know if you need directions on how to replace the switch.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think it's the switch bulb; I pushed the switch and tried to engage the cruise, no joy. Pushed the switch again, still no joy. Fuse was already checked. The fuse didn't look blown, but I'll replace it just to confirm. I'm not sure how the switch could suddenly fail when the cruise was operating fine one minute, then inop the next, but I guess anything is possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Any chance the connector at the back of the switch has come loose?

The cruise control main switch has two bulbs. One is related to the cruise on/off switch; the other is a light that comes on with the dash lights (when the headlight switch is at either the parking light or full headlight position, with the ignition at On). I presume the light you're referring to is the first; but does the other bulb light up with the headlight switch?

Replacing the fuse is a good idea.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks plain OM. Turns out the cruise control worked completely normal when I left for work the next day. You might be on the mark regarding the loose connector on the back of the switch. For now, I'm not going to try and fix something that's not broke. If it quits again, I'll check the switch connector.
By the way, I have yet to see the light that comes on with the dash lights, but it could be burned-out. Most of my instrument lights don't work; a project for another day!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts