Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 2.5i Premium.

When I am driving with the cruise control set and want to increase the set speed, a press on the RES/+ button increases the speed by 5 mph. That's too much. I would like to increase only 1 mph. Is there any way to adjust that setting?

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I have a 2019 2.5i Premium.

When I am driving with the cruise control set and want to increase the set speed, a press on the RES/+ button increases the speed by 5 mph. That's too much. I would like to increase only 1 mph. Is there any way to adjust that setting?

Quick press and release gets you 5mph increase or decrease. Press and hold, increase by 1 MPH +/-

Found that out on this board. Did not know it for 2 months I had the car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 2 stage switch. A large press nets 5 mph increase. A light press nets 1 mph increase
Quick press and release gets you 5mph increase or decrease. Press and hold, increase by 1 MPH +/-

Found that out on this board. Did not know it for 2 months I had the car.
These two responses appear to be in disagreement. Guess I'll have to try both, but my wife thinks the tech guy at the dealership said something about press and hold. Seems counterintuitive.

We've had ours for about two months but today is the first time I've driven it on an interstate highway.

·
Registered
198 Posts
These two responses appear to be in disagreement. Guess I'll have to try both, but my wife thinks the tech guy at the dealership said something about press and hold. Seems counterintuitive.

We've had ours for about two months but today is the first time I've driven it on an interstate highway.
The function of the cruise control switch changed between the 2016 and 2018 models. The 2016 behaves as Zedhead states and I assume that is also the case for the 2017. The 2018 and 2019 behave as Mapdud55 states. Having one of each is an exercise for my memory everytime I switch to driving my wife's 2018. :wink2:

Page 82 of the EyeSight manual explains it.

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
One thing I discovered with my 2019 is that the +/-5 MPH quick press will only take you to the next multiple of 5 MPH, not always up or down by exactly 5 MPH.

If you have set the Cruise Control to 62 MPH, when you (short) press to increase, it goes up to 65 MPH rather than 67 MPH. If you were going 62 MPH and (short) press down, it only drops to 60 MPH. Only if you are already at a multiple of 5 MPH will the increase or decrease short press give you a 5 MPH increment.

The long press will always increase or decrease by 1 MPH. If you press and continue holding, the speed setting will increase or decrease by 1 MPH per second.

John

·
Registered
971 Posts
One thing I discovered with my 2019 is that the +/-5 MPH quick press will only take you to the next multiple of 5 MPH, not always up or down by exactly 5 MPH.

If you have set the Cruise Control to 62 MPH, when you (short) press to increase, it goes up to 65 MPH rather than 67 MPH. If you were going 62 MPH and (short) press down, it only drops to 60 MPH. Only if you are already at a multiple of 5 MPH will the increase or decrease short press give you a 5 MPH increment.

The long press will always increase or decrease by 1 MPH. If you press and continue holding, the speed setting will increase or decrease by 1 MPH per second.

John
Yep, 2018 works that way as well. Since speed limits are always in increments of 5 MPH, it makes sense. In the US all speed limits end in a zero or a five. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The function of the cruise control switch changed between the 2016 and 2018 models. The 2016 behaves as Zedhead states and I assume that is also the case for the 2017. The 2018 and 2019 behave as Mapdud55 states. Having one of each is an exercise for my memory everytime I switch to driving my wife's 2018. :wink2:

Page 82 of the EyeSight manual explains it.
Thanks. Actually it's on p. 48 in the 2019 Eyesight manual.

That just seems backwards to me. If I'm cruising at the speed limit of 70 on the interstate and find I'm passing a car in the right lane very slowly I want to speed up by one or two mph to get around him, not 5mph. A couple of clicks does it on my Tahoe, but not on the Subaru.

·
Registered
411 Posts

That just seems backwards to me. If I'm cruising at the speed limit of 70 on the interstate and find I'm passing a car in the right lane very slowly I want to speed up by one or two mph to get around him, not 5mph. A couple of clicks does it on my Tahoe, but not on the Subaru.
In that situation it's also possible to press the accelerator pedal, pass, and release the pedal, all with cc on -- don't need to change the cc speed setting.

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts

It is amazing what information that is in the OM.:RTFM:

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I prefer the way my 2015 does it to the new ones. I normally set the adaptive cruise control to speed limit + 9 or speed limit + 4.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Yep, 2018 works that way as well. Since speed limits are always in increments of 5 MPH, it makes sense. In the US all speed limits end in a zero or a five. :)
I'm not sure I have ever set my cruise to run right at any speed limit though.
But I don't have any complaints on how my '17 works. It's just a matter of getting used to it. I can see where switching back and forth between two vehicles that operate differently would be a pain.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I'm not sure I have ever set my cruise to run right at any speed limit though.
But I don't have any complaints on how my '17 works. It's just a matter of getting used to it. I can see where switching back and forth between two vehicles that operate differently would be a pain.
Unless I'm in a 25 MPH zone, I typically set mine 5 over, so the 5 increment works fine for me. But I have a couple of communities around me with 25 as the set speed, and my son-in-law was ticketed for 5 over, so I watch those areas closely. I really like that ACC will keep me slow through there, and maintain my spacing when the inevitable someone pulls in front of me only doing 20. :grin2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hmm. I have an '18 Limited, but a short press +/- by 1 and a long press does the same thing...but I don't have adaptive cruise control. Maybe that changes things? Or mine has an error. I like it the way it is though.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts