Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there team. Got a question about adjusting the cruise control speed on my 2015 R3.6.

I used to own a 2004 3.0 and the cruise control on that when set at a speed, you could increase or reduce the speed set by tapping the stalk down or up and this seemed to increase the speed by about 1km/h with every tap.

With the 2015, if it tap the button up or down the car seems to accelerate by some random speed of 7-8km/h. Hardly very helpful! Is there an option to alter this, as I can't seem to find any setting in any menu?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
With my '15 2.5, a quick tap up or down is 1 MPH.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey there team. Got a question about adjusting the cruise control speed on my 2015 R3.6.

I used to own a 2004 3.0 and the cruise control on that when set at a speed, you could increase or reduce the speed set by tapping the stalk down or up and this seemed to increase the speed by about 1km/h with every tap.

With the 2015, if it tap the button up or down the car seems to accelerate by some random speed of 7-8km/h. Hardly very helpful! Is there an option to alter this, as I can't seem to find any setting in any menu?

Now my 2019 Outback touring 3.6 works like this. A quick tap up or down changes to the next 5mph. Press and HOLD and it will increase or decrease slowly. Try that.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Now my 2019 Outback touring 3.6 works like this. A quick tap up or down changes to the next 5mph. Press and HOLD and it will increase or decrease slowly. Try that.
Don't know what year this changed but my 2016 is like the OP's. The key word is quick. Quick as in flicking a fly off your dessert! I had to experiment but still have occasions when the speed setting changes +/- 5 mph

·
Registered
250 Posts
With my 2019 OBT, which has adaptive cruise control, a short press gives you five, a long press one. I suspect the OP might have regular cruise, where a short press is one, and a long press will do more, depending on how long it is held.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
On my 2017 it's a hard press for 5 mph and a light press for 1 mph adjustments.

It's my understanding they changed it in later years.

Think the difference between the window going down and hitting it harder for an auto up/down.
That's the way my 2016 works. One just needs have to develop a feel for it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
On my '18, a quick press is +-5 mph; press and hold, +- in 1 mph increments slowly. Awkward at first, but I have learned to use - and like - it. It's like eyesight - you just need to give it a chance, learn to use it, and wow! It's great!

·
Registered
14 Posts
On my '18, a quick press is +-5 mph; press and hold, +- in 1 mph increments slowly. Awkward at first, but I have learned to use - and like - it. It's like eyesight - you just need to give it a chance, learn to use it, and wow! It's great!
This is exactly how it works in both of my 2019's.

·
Registered
161 Posts
With my 2019 OBT, which has adaptive cruise control, a short press gives you five, a long press one.
(My emphasis).

I've found, a long press long enough until you see it reflect the change on the dash display otherwise it will do five (kms or mph) like a short press.

·
Registered
161 Posts
With the 2015, if it tap the button up or down the car seems to accelerate by some random speed of 7-8km/h. Hardly very helpful! ...
On our Australian spec SJ Foz XT & MY16 Liberty (Legacy) 3.6R, they had a two stage switch for the adaptive cruise control speed adjustment on the steering wheel. The switch had two positions to increase the speed & two positions to decrease the speed. The two positions are very close together & it can take a while to get a feel for these.

To increase the speed; press up to the 1st position & it will increase the speed by 1km/hr. Press up to the 2nd position & it will increase the speed by 10km/hr.

To reduce the speed; press the button down either to the first or second position (works the same as increasing the speed except it reduces the speed).

See if yours works like this.

Edit: On one of the vehicles I mentioned, the 2nd switch position increased/decreased the speed by 5km/hr instead of 10km/hr.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
@Fraserh get in mind as you read thru these responses, on the US models, the behavior of how to increment speed, up or down, changed sometime in the 2017/2018 MY. I had to experiment with the switch and often still don't get an one mph increment.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for that guys.

I gave it a go today. Yea I see what you mean about the two position switch. Not that obvious, but yeah it works.

Pity it seems to work in mph as a small increase is around 2km/h. Pretty useless. Or a big increase is around 7km/h again of no use what so ever in any country other than the USA. Would be nice if there was an option to change this setting for everyone outside the US.

Think il stick to canceling and resetting. Funny how sometimes"improvements" often make things less useful?

·
Registered
161 Posts
... Pity it seems to work in mph as a small increase is around 2km/h. Pretty useless. Or a big increase is around 7km/h again of no use what so ever in any country other than the USA. Would be nice if there was an option to change this setting for everyone outside the US.
I would never have picked that seeing the NZ Subarus come out of Japan like our Australian ones do. Ours increase/decrease in km/h (1km/h, and 5km/h or 10km/h depending on the vehicle).

Unless there is a hidden setup menu with an option to change that, I don’t think there is much you can do.

On our MY16 Liberty 3.6R there were two hidden menus but I don’t remember an option like you need in either:

One menu:

• Ignition either on Acc or ON.
• Go to home menu (by pressing the home button)
• Hold 'home' button and press the 'audio/tune' button 5 times.
• To exit hold 'home' button & press 'audio/tune' button 2 or 3 times (must be in top level maint screen).

and another separate menu not via the above:

• Ignition either on Acc or ON.
• Hold 'Info' button and press the 'audio/tune' button 2 times.
• To exit hold 'home' button & press 'audio/tune' button 3 times (must be in top level maint screen).

In addition to the above, the dealer’s can make certain changes, but not sure if they can change what you require.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry for taking a few days to get back to you guys.

Well looks like I was wrong. I think that when I tested the it out two things occurred. First of, I didn't realize that the set speed of the cruise control is displayed on the dash, in smaller text than the actual speed. Secondly I tested the speed adjustment on a fairly undulating road. I think the car was trying to catch up and slow down that means it appeared to increase or decrease speed more than it actually was.

Thanks for all the help guys! The more I learn about the features of this car, the more I love it.

·
Registered
98 Posts

This is fully a matter of opinion but I’d prefer it reversed, where a quick flip is 1 mph. Usually I’m wanting to do small adjustments. Doing quick flips means I don’t have to pay such close attention to the set point on the screen.

Overall I like the CC system a lot on the 2018 OB. Such a huge improvement over our 2010 Forester.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is fully a matter of opinion but I’d prefer it reversed, where a quick flip is 1 mph. Usually I’m wanting to do small adjustments. Doing quick flips means I don’t have to pay such close attention to the set point on the screen.
Agreed. I'm usually only using cruise on the freeway, and most often want to adjust my speed just by 2-3mph, to get around someone when we are that ackward 0.5mph apart in speed and its taking forever. Since I'm all ready doing 4-5mph over the speed limit, I don't want a full 5 mph, and so to just get the 2-3 I want, I have to stare at my dash at freeway speeds to see when it slowly starts rising by 1mph. I don't like that I have to take my eyes off the road, so really wish they would have kept it the old way, quick flips for a mph each, especially since I can do 5 quick flips in the time it takes it to increase by one when having to hold it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Drove my buddy's 2017 3.6R Touring from Montana to Atlanta this week. Yes, his cruise control speed adjustment switches have two detents, first gives you 1 mph change, second gives you 5 mph. I found this much easier to use (and more intuitive once I figured it out) than our 2018's utterly Subie-intuitive short tap for 5 mph vs. hold for 1 mph.

And I could not figure out how to switch from ACC to regular old-fashioned cruise control. How do you do it? On our 2018 you just hold one of the buttons down (don't remember which one) until it switches over.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Drove my buddy's 2017 3.6R Touring from Montana to Atlanta this week. Yes, his cruise control speed adjustment switches have two detents, first gives you 1 mph change, second gives you 5 mph. I found this much easier to use (and more intuitive once I figured it out) than our 2018's utterly Subie-intuitive short tap for 5 mph vs. hold for 1 mph.

And I could not figure out how to switch from ACC to regular old-fashioned cruise control. How do you do it? On our 2018 you just hold one of the buttons down (don't remember which one) until it switches over.
hold one of the following distance buttons for the ACC down, once the cruise is set to ON. It toggles between ACC and regular. You have to hold it for 3 or 5 seconds.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
24 Participants
ammcinnis
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing