Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Bit off subject but my cruise control does not "hold" the speed as accurate as I would expect. It varies up and down a couple of miles per hour depending on the terrain. Is this typical?

·
Registered
211 Posts
2019 Canadian OB. The 1st short press moves you to the nearest 5km/h mark ( 50, 55, 60, 65 ect). The subsequent short presses increase by 5km/h. Long press (or hold) increase by 1km/h. The long press is painfully slow when increasing by 1km/h.

·
Registered
576 Posts
To me short press corresponding to bigger increments makes sense since you want to get to the desired speed quickly. Long press, or fine-tuning should be slower. If it was reversed keeping the pressure on long press will result in huge changes resulting in overshooting the desired speed.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I don't really get why they changed it after 2017. With the way it was there was no delay for either one. Press half-way down for 1mph increment or all the way down to get to the next 5mph increment and 5mph steps for each one after that.

Initially it took a few times to get used to it but way back when double-clicking a mouse seemed awkward as well.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
... I don't want a full 5 mph, and so to just get the 2-3 I want, I have to stare at my dash at freeway speeds to see when it slowly starts rising by 1mph. I don't like that I have to take my eyes off the road ...
Just use your foot on the accelerator pedal. Problem solved.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just use your foot on the accelerator pedal. Problem solved.
That defeats one of the purposes of cruise control, not having to put your foot on the gas pedal to accelerate. And I'd still have to look down at the dash to see my speed to make sure I dont go more than 2 or 3 more than what I'm doing since I'm all ready doing 5 or 6 over the speed limit. So, problem not solved.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I just put my foot on the accelerator to pass and then once safely past, use two headlight rule in rear view, take my foot off and the car resumes original speed I had set. Works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am becoming quite fond of the CC in my 2019. I've never had a car indicate my CC setting on the dash. I love being able to bump up the setting by 5 units and see what my desired maximum is. Then just follow the car ahead and relax. When it occurs to me that the lead car is driving too slow I pass when it is safe to do by changing lanes and pressing the accelerator until I'm past the car. Then take my foot off the accelerator and drop back to my set maximum speed.

I guess I consider CC to be a speed limiter. It definitely keeps me from getting speeding tickets.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
That defeats one of the purposes of cruise control, not having to put your foot on the gas pedal to accelerate.
EyeSight/ACC is not an autopilot. You are still supposed to be driving the car.

... I'm all ready doing 5 or 6 over the speed limit. So, problem not solved.
Drive at the speed limit, except when passing. Problem solved.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Bit off subject but my cruise control does not "hold" the speed as accurate as I would expect. It varies up and down a couple of miles per hour depending on the terrain. Is this typical?
Typical, not something most people would notice but if you pay attention it does vary with hills. It's not too different than some competitor cars either.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Typical, not something most people would notice but if you pay attention it does vary with hills. It's not too different than some competitor cars either.
Best I ever had was a BMW 1983 BME 528e 4-speed. It was lock-on any speed you select. No matter what. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
EyeSight/ACC is not an autopilot. You are still supposed to be driving the car.

Drive at the speed limit, except when passing. Problem solved.
Never claimed it to be autopilot, and whether I'm flicking a switch or pushing the pedal, its me doing it, so I'm still driving.

As for the speed limit thing? Nah:)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Let's talk about the speed limit thing. In Georgia, where you can pretty reliably count on a free pass for less than 10 over (heck that used to be the law, not sure if it still is), I usually set it for 6 or 7 or 8 over, occasionally 9. But I don't know what the custom is in other states. Driving back from Montana last week I usually set it for 4 or 5 over (especially when the limits were 75 or 80, where I actually felt like I was going fast enough to suit me). And that's in light traffic -- when there are lot of folks going faster, I'm going with the flow. I don't like feeling like I'm going to get rear-ended for going too slow.

Anyway, what's the general practice in other states?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
It's pretty much the same everywhere. Everybody wants to be the first one there. I used to drive like that as well. Recently I have started driving right at or just slightly above the speed limit. It is amazingly less stressful. I spend far less time being frustrated or pissed off at other drivers, and it seems like I spend far less time in packs of traffic. Now I enjoy the trips a lot more and I get to see things I used to pass by without noticing. Also, by removing the sense of urgency to my travels I find I am more likely to stop and check out things that interest me that I used to pass on by and say to myself: "Self, someday when you have more time you should stop and check that out".

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Let's talk about the speed limit thing. In Georgia, where you can pretty reliably count on a free pass for less than 10 over (heck that used to be the law, not sure if it still is), I usually set it for 6 or 7 or 8 over, occasionally 9. But I don't know what the custom is in other states. Driving back from Montana last week I usually set it for 4 or 5 over (especially when the limits were 75 or 80, where I actually felt like I was going fast enough to suit me). And that's in light traffic -- when there are lot of folks going faster, I'm going with the flow. I don't like feeling like I'm going to get rear-ended for going too slow.

I haven't checked in a while, but with the stock tires the speedometer read 1 or 2 above what it was actually doing... the laws vary per state... some are absolute, some are prima facie, some are basic (some are a combination).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Drove my buddy's 2017 3.6R Touring from Montana to Atlanta this week. Yes, his cruise control speed adjustment switches have two detents, first gives you 1 mph change, second gives you 5 mph. I found this much easier to use (and more intuitive once I figured it out) than our 2018's utterly Subie-intuitive short tap for 5 mph vs. hold for 1 mph.

And I could not figure out how to switch from ACC to regular old-fashioned cruise control. How do you do it? On our 2018 you just hold one of the buttons down (don't remember which one) until it switches over.
I'm curious what situations you would want cruise control without ACC?

·
Registered
345 Posts
It's pretty much the same everywhere. Everybody wants to be the first one there. I used to drive like that as well. Recently I have started driving right at or just slightly above the speed limit. It is amazingly less stressful. I spend far less time being frustrated or pissed off at other drivers, and it seems like I spend far less time in packs of traffic. Now I enjoy the trips a lot more and I get to see things I used to pass by without noticing. Also, by removing the sense of urgency to my travels I find I am more likely to stop and check out things that interest me that I used to pass on by and say to myself: "Self, someday when you have more time you should stop and check that out".
Interesting you say that. I'm on that progression towards serenity myself, but I'm not quite as far along the path as you. In my testosterone-charged youth I used to drive as fast as I thought I might, probably, get away with.

Now I'm more inclined to calculate the benefit of a few more MPH vs. the very real benefits you mention of a few less. On a two-hour trip, five more MPH only gets you ten minutes or less. Who cares. But on a 12-hour slog it translates to an hour or so sooner to your motel or your own bed. That's different.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm curious what situations you would want cruise control without ACC?
ACC is good in heavier, steady traffic, especially the kind where you know you just need to stay in your lane and tough it out. But in much lighter traffic I find it too often leaves me realizing I've been following somebody at five under the limit for five or ten minutes.

In my Jeep it's really easy to switch between the two because it has separate buttons for each type. In the Subie it's harder, and because I don't drive it that often I always have to puzzle out how to do it. So I've settled on just setting it to one bar in light traffic instead. That works almost as well as regular non-A cruise control, and of course better in some respects. But I really do prefer the choice of either.

And of course, it's really important to remember which one you have activated ...

·
Registered
211 Posts
in much lighter traffic I find it too often leaves me realizing I've been following somebody at five under the limit for five or ten minutes
Yup, have to agree with you on this. That's why I leave my dash display on the digital speed readout. More likely to see when I am driving at a lower speed than I want.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
24 Participants
ammcinnis
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing