Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L 4 cylinder Automatic 194K Purchased March 6,2013 at Salem, NH auction.
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Here I am again with another issue that I need help with on my 2004 Outback Wagon.

I have only had it 11 days and now the amber Led on the cruise control switch started blinking on and off slowly. I believe this is causing the dashboard "Check Engine" light to come on.

The car itself seems to be running OK and I don't need to use the cruise control but it was working and it would be good to have it fixed, any suggestions??

·
Registered
18,408 Posts
. . . now the amber Led on the cruise control switch started blinking on and off slowly. I believe this is causing the dashboard "Check Engine" light to come on.
Might be the other way around. Typically, any time the CEL is set (on), the cruise control is automatically disabled, and the cruise indicator light will flash.

In other words, address what's causing the CEL to come on and you will resolve the cruise control issue.

Whenever the CEL comes on, a diagnostic trouble code, (or more than one) is recorded into the engine control module's memory. The stored codes can be retrieved (read) when the CEL is still on, and even if it has subsequently gone out. (Some codes remain in the memory for 40 driving cycles after the problem might have disappeared on its own.)

Start by reading the code, or codes, via the OBD connector. If you don't have a code reader, many auto parts stores such as Autozone, Advance Auto, etc will connect up a reader for you at no charge.

The code identifies the type of problem that has been detected by the on-board-diagnostics system, and sometimes points to a particular component. Get the code (codes) and then search for them in subaruoutback.org to see what others have experienced. If that doesn't provide an answer, post the code(s) here and I'm sure there will be responses. (There's also many sites on the internet that have basic definitions of the generic OBD codes.) The codes for powertrain-related problems are usually in the form of "P####".

Elsewhere you reported poor fuel mileage (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...mpg-my-used-2004-ouback-wagon.html#post521875). The CEL that's now on might be related to that. But then again, a code can also be set by something very simple, such as an improperly-fitted gas cap.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L 4 cylinder Automatic 194K Purchased March 6,2013 at Salem, NH auction.
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
happy to report that the check engine light went off

Might be the other way around. Typically, any time the CEL is set (on), the cruise control is automatically disabled, and the cruise indicator light will flash.

You are correct the cruise control gets disabled when the check engine light comes on. Now it makes more sense, even my 2001 Forester the cruise control stopped working, light did not flash but when I pushed the button the light would not come on and I believe the button would not stay in. I never associated the check engine light and the cruise control issue!

Anyway happy to report that the check engine light went off all by itself while I was out driving earlier today and all is working perfectly. Don't know what caused the CEL to come on or off but I am waiting for the title in the mail and looking to sell it.

I think I prefer a Forester but I read or heard somewhere you don't buy a Subaru for fuel economy. Due to the AWD system in most (most) Subaru's they really won't ever be the best for fuel economy.

Even so I think will look at Forester if I can sell this one.

;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts