Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased my second Subaru today and finding out all the little quirks I didn't catch on the test drive.

Found out the Cruise control does not work. Not a huge deal, but I like things to work like they are supposed to. Here are the limited details...

'97 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5l manual
213,000mi

I press the cruise button on the dash and the light comes on (on the button itself). good. then I use the paddle control on the wheel to try and set it, but nothing happens. (I used to own a Subaru Legacy before, and I know how to operate it, so I don't think it is operator error.)

I don't remember if a cruise light is supposed to come on in the instrument cluster, but nothing does come on. Thats basically it. It doesn't work.

Any one ever fixed this problem before???? Even some good diagnosis tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Check on the clutch and brake peddles for stoppers to deactivate the cruise when these are pressed in. If they are missing the cruise module thinks the brake or clutch is always engaged and will not activate.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Whenever a feature like this doesnt work for me, the first thing I check are the fuses. The light that comes on is probably on a separate light than the actual cruise control system. I would check your fuse first. Your user's manual will probably show which fuse cruise control runs off of, it may show on the diagram inside your fuse box as well.

·
Registered
16,289 Posts
Timberwolf99 is referring to part #14 in this diagram: http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_47/manipulation/pedal_system_mt/illustration_1/

It's called a stopper; it's a small pad on the brake and clutch pedal arms that, when the pedal is fully up, presses against a switch plunger, setting the switch to a position that allows the cruise control to work. If the pad is missing, the plunger isn't pushed in as far as it should be, and the switch isn't set properly. It's not uncommon for these small pads to wear out or otherwise fall off -- there have been other posts here with the same problem. This is probably the first thing to check.

The main fuse for the cruise control also powers the small light in the switch, so it looks as if the fuse is probably good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so, I looked at the pedals for little pads or switches of some sort. I didn't see any on either the brake or clutch, though I think i saw where it was supposed to go on the clutch. If this is part of the problem, or all of it, what is my next step??

I assume buy new switches, but is that a simple auto zone buy or dealership? and, how do I re-install them? I didn't see any loose wires hanging around, but I also wasn't looking that hard. Thanks

·
Registered
16,289 Posts
I'm fairly confident the switches (there's one for the brake pedal and one for the clutch pedal) are there; I doubt they'd be missing, and if the brake switch was removed, the stop lights at the back of the car wouldn't work either. More likely just the pads that are supposed to be on the pedal arms are missing.

The photo in http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/38118-plastic-pedal-pieces-fell-off.html#post354336 shows the little pad that we're referring to.

In http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/12302-cruise-control-not-working-1996-a.html, at post #7 there's two photos of the area underneath. The switches are the threaded parts with two nuts each in the upper part of the photos. Looking at the end of the threaded component there's a white protrusion that comes out of the switch -- this is plunger that moves in and out depending on the location of the pedal arm.

In both threads, the poster had the same problem -- cruise control not working -- and replacing those white round pads seemed to do the trick.

Hope the linked threads and photos help you narrow down what to look for; if there's any questions, let us know. And if it solves the problem, let us know as well!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Fixed the cruise on the wife's '99 GT yesterday by replacing the split vacuum hose which was located between the vacuum pump (below & behind the AC drier on the rear of the passenger side front strut tower), & the top plastic tube which crosses the firewall. Couldn't see this enough to take a pic, but it's not hard to do by feel. After removing the split piece, I cut the replacement 1.5" longer. I'll be changing the engine related vacuum lines this week, as they must be as badly deteriorated.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Fixed the cruise on the wife's '99 GT yesterday by replacing the split vacuum hose which was located between the vacuum pump (below & behind the AC drier on the rear of the passenger side front strut tower), & the top plastic tube which crosses the firewall. Couldn't see this enough to take a pic, but it's not hard to do by feel. After removing the split piece, I cut the replacement 1.5" longer. I'll be changing the engine related vacuum lines this week, as they must be as badly deteriorated.
+1 (on my '99)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fixed.

After checking the other most helpful post referred to in this thread, I discovered my clutch was simply missing the spacer. Without it, there is a hole in the clutch arm where the plunger switch goes right through, leaving the switch open and thus won't let the cruise control activate.

My solution cost me a penny. Literally, I used electrical tape and stuck a penny up there. Works like a champ. I may look for a more permanent fix if it falls off, but until then, I highly recommend the penny!

Thanks All for helping me solve this simple problem!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
Timberwolf99
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing