Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5xt Limited
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this sounds a bit like a CV joint problem, but they look fine, and let me tell my story:

got new shocks/struts put on by a corporate wheels place (that I'm not always happy with, but they're very convenient) . They seemed to have done the shocks wrong or something, as they sounded *horrible* when you went over a bump, like an old spring bed. took it back, they first said they'd 'grease' them, then decided to replace. hmm.

they also say they want to change out my inner tie rods. I choose to wait, and looking at them, they seem fine and the tire seems solid (side to side shake test)

Now I get to a spot where I'm driving slowly on a smooth surface making turns (parking ramp) and I hear creaks, or crunches when the wheel is quite turned, either direction.

Looking back at other paperwork, I see someone mention 'leaking power steering pump' which I must have missed or was told wasn't that bad. I've never noticed ANY issue with turning.

the question becomes: what's going on? did this corporate place mess up my CVs somehow? would new, wrong shocks somehow make a noise when turning? is it simply power steering fluid needed? inner tie rods??

so many annoying variables. any thoughts and suggested tests would help.

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
How many miles are on the car? Is there any shuddering or weird feedback in the steering wheel? Or is it only audible? Unless you feel it in the steering wheel it doesn't sound like a power steering problem, I wouldn't worry about that. Inner tie-rods usually clunk I think- it's a ball and socket joint. Check the boots on the steering rack, if they're intact I doubt you'd be having a problem with them.

A video/recording of the sound may help. If you have a jack, maybe bring up the front end and have someone steer while you try and hunt down the sound.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
So, this sounds a bit like a CV joint problem, but they look fine, and let me tell my story:

got new shocks/struts put on by a corporate wheels place (that I'm not always happy with, but they're very convenient) . They seemed to have done the shocks wrong or something, as they sounded *horrible* when you went over a bump, like an old spring bed. took it back, they first said they'd 'grease' them, then decided to replace. hmm.

they also say they want to change out my inner tie rods. I choose to wait, and looking at them, they seem fine and the tire seems solid (side to side shake test)

Now I get to a spot where I'm driving slowly on a smooth surface making turns (parking ramp) and I hear creaks, or crunches when the wheel is quite turned, either direction.

Looking back at other paperwork, I see someone mention 'leaking power steering pump' which I must have missed or was told wasn't that bad. I've never noticed ANY issue with turning.

the question becomes: what's going on? did this corporate place mess up my CVs somehow? would new, wrong shocks somehow make a noise when turning? is it simply power steering fluid needed? inner tie rods??

Did this noise start after the strut replacement or has it been there in the past?
My first thought is air in the power steering system. The quickest way to determine if this is going on is to turn the steering wheel lock to lock and have someone watch the PS reservoir to see if bubbles are circulating through it.
If you do see any, check the suction line where the rubber hose connects to the PS pump and tighten the hose clamp (you may want to use a screw type rather than the stock ones that are just spring action.
Then, jack the front wheels off the ground and with the engine NOT running turn the wheels lock to lock at least 10 times. Then start and turn lock to lock slowly one time. Shut engine off and repeat the previous action 10 more times. This will usually remove all the air from the system.
Also, I'm not certain on the H4 but check the belt tension.

Sway bar bushings will make noises when the bar moves inside the rubber bushings. Silicone spray will temporarily solve that problem.

Also, make certain the tires aren't rubbing against the inner fender liners.

That's all I got for now!

If there is air in the PS system and tightening and turning wheel doesn't work, there's an O-ring on that PS pump connector that is known for causing air in the system. Easy change.

·
Registered
Silver 2012 Outback 2.5i
33 Posts

I thought driving a Subaru gave you crunchiness all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many miles are on the car? Is there any shuddering or weird feedback in the steering wheel? Or is it only audible? Unless you feel it in the steering wheel it doesn't sound like a power steering problem, I wouldn't worry about that. Inner tie-rods usually clunk I think- it's a ball and socket joint. Check the boots on the steering rack, if they're intact I doubt you'd be having a problem with them.

A video/recording of the sound may help. If you have a jack, maybe bring up the front end and have someone steer while you try and hunt down the sound.

The car has about 170k on it.

NO indication of any problem at the steering wheel. only the noise.

I did jack it up, and moved everything back and forth - didn't hear anything at all. That's one reason I think it has to do with the shocks - the weight of the car might need to be on it to make the noise.

and, no boot issues on any CV or tie rod. everything looks good.

I will try and do a recording, but it's tough on my dirt road.

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
The car has about 170k on it.

NO indication of any problem at the steering wheel. only the noise.

I did jack it up, and moved everything back and forth - didn't hear anything at all. That's one reason I think it has to do with the shocks - the weight of the car might need to be on it to make the noise.

and, no boot issues on any CV or tie rod. everything looks good.

I will try and do a recording, but it's tough on my dirt road.
Yeah I think you're in the clear as far as steering then. Hopefully some of the more suspension savvy folks around here chime in. Def get a recording if you can, I think 'crunchiness' is very ambiguous- I've never heard anything from a car that sounds like that description.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
there's a conic or beveled washer at the top of the strut, they may have gotten it upside down. Instead of resting on the inner race of the bearing, it's dragging.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there's a conic or beveled washer at the top of the strut, they may have gotten it upside down. Instead of resting on the inner race of the bearing, it's dragging.
great point. any chance you have a photo of that washer placement?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did this noise start after the strut replacement or has it been there in the past?
My first thought is air in the power steering system.

Sway bar bushings will make noises when the bar moves inside the rubber bushings. Silicone spray will temporarily solve that problem.

Also, make certain the tires aren't rubbing against the inner fender liners.
I never heard the noise before - only after the (second) strut replacement.

I myself swapped out the sway bar bushings 6 months or more ago - and they are well greased. Also did new sway bar links. all that stuff looks just fine.

I will totally go do the PS test as recommended. thanks.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
when you took it back to have the first issue fixed - did they fix it? how, what did they do?

what brand struts did they install and did they reuse strut mounts or install new ones - if so, what brand?

i've seen some horribly performing new struts installed on 00-04 outbacks. not sure of brand, but they float and bounce terribly. and i've seen aftermarket mounts fail and swell as well.

should only use KYB struts and keep the original mounts or replace with Subaru or KYB.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
when you took it back to have the first issue fixed - did they fix it? how, what did they do?

what brand struts did they install and did they reuse strut mounts or install new ones - if so, what brand?

i've seen some horribly performing new struts installed on 00-04 outbacks. not sure of brand, but they float and bounce terribly. and i've seen aftermarket mounts fail and swell as well.

should only use KYB struts and keep the original mounts or replace with Subaru or KYB.

When I took it back and complained about the noisy new struts, yes, they totally swapped them out again and put in different ones, which made the creaky bed spring noise go away. according to the paperwork, it looks like they used Monroes - "OESpectrum"...

I called them back and they said they left the original mounts. so I guess that's good.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,698 Posts
When I first saw the title my intial reaction was that you'd either run over a pine cone or maybe Emmanuel Lewis.

Other than that I've got nothing helpful for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts