Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i SAP
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone modified their cup holder to better fit a coffee mug with a handle?

I usually just remove the middle piece, but then the mug moves all around.

I was thinking I could just cut out the center piece with the springs which would then allow the mug to sit down and be secured.

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Outback, 2015 2.5i Legacy w/Eyesight
589 Posts
A different coffee mug?
Taking the simple approach, eh? I'll go to the opposite extreme then.

You could always trade your car in for a Honda fit. Those things have cup holders out the wazoo.

Honda Engineer: "Hey, there's an empty space here, should we leave it empty?"
Honda Marketing: "No, see if you can mold another cup holder to fit there."

You could even make some money on the deal.

·
Registered
2012,OB 3.6R Limited/Moonroof Pkg.
129 Posts
Ilocano is always have some better idea.. Where can you buy it? Is it cheap :29:

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
Is it small enough to put a cooler type coozie on the outside? I had to do that in one car to prevent my travel mug from moving around. Now I take a folded shop paper towel and line the opening in a "C" shape. My mug fits okay but I hate ratteling :)

·
Registered
2014 2.5 Outback Premium CVT 72,000 mi (previous: 2012 OB 2.5 base 6-MT, totaled at 73,532mi)
534 Posts
Boom! Now you can fit whatever cup you feel like bringing!

The cup would sit up too high and get in the way of the shifter....oh wait most of you have cvt, not a big issue...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
The cup would sit up too high and get in the way of the shifter....oh wait most of you have cvt, not a big issue...
The overall circumfrence would most likely not fit as the center console is pretty close. Even if it fit it would impede the opening/closing of the center console cubbys.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
I think we need a pic of this mug you are attached to, so we can make an informed suggestion ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Certainly would be nice to have some way to improve the 2010 OB Limited center cup holder. I often stop by Home Depot or Lowe's and get a cup of coffee (free) - they use the small foam cups. Put coffee in the cup - put the cup in the cup holder - take to the road. Now try to pick up the coffee. I use my finger tips and can manage to lift the cup up by the top rim of the cup enough to where I can balance it on the console so that I can then grip the cup normally. Of course I need to do this each time I pick up the cup. Pretty awkward, but I have not spilled any coffee yet!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts