Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a little bit of cupping on the outer edge of the P7s on my 2011 2.5i Limited.

I gather this is likely related to suspension. Any suggestions which bit?

Have about 85,000 miles and live in northern NH with mostly rough, two-lanes.

Thanks.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
do you have a choppy bumpy ride right now?

april is a good month for sales to buy new tires. and at the same time get a alignment.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not particularly bumpy or choppy. But even the paved roads up here are pretty rough so that could be easily masked. I did notice last Fall that with the initial steering input there was a small, secondary movement. Dealer swore suspension and alignment was good. Pirelli/Tire Rack no help on whether there was an internal problem with one of the P7s.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
Subaru recommends diagonal rotation so you reverse the rotation of the tire. This helps prevent cupping due to being AWD!
one of the reasons to never buy directional tires, as you can't X rotate them without remounting.

(uni-directionals are ultra typical, in snow tires, ...I run old school coopers with studs though, and X them every time I put them on).

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
568 Posts
Rotate and see if the cupping still happens on that tire or is isolated to that corner of the vehicle. Will help determine if it's a tire or suspension issue.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
358 Posts
Subaru recommends diagonal rotation so you reverse the rotation of the tire. This helps prevent cupping due to being AWD!
I wonder why some car makers stick with a keep the tires on the same side of the vehicle. Must be lack of experience with AWD.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,863 Posts
one of the reasons to never buy directional tires, as you can't X rotate them without remounting.

(uni-directionals are ultra typical, in snow tires, ...I run old school coopers with studs though, and X them every time I put them on).
I see my owner's manual says to rotate the fronts to the backs on the same side and cross the rears to the front. With a full-time all-wheel-drive system like the Subaru it seems like crossing fronts and rears would make sense when rotating. I put my snows on around the time I was due for the first rotation so now I will have to rotate the original tires when I put them back on soon.

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,210 Posts
Back in the day it was supposedly a no no to change the rotation of a tire. Especially radials as it would supposedly lead to tire separation(belts would loosen up). I don't know if it was a farce or perhaps the quality of tires have increased that much.

I had a michelin completely shed it's tread one time and drove home on a fully inflated steel tire! Man that sucker did a number on the side of my Van. :frown2:

I wonder why some car makers stick with a keep the tires on the same side of the vehicle. Must be lack of experience with AWD.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts