Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT, 04 Mazda Speed Miata 07 Suburban.
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has a 93 Legacy Wagon, with a curious problem/noise. When making very low speed turns I hear a growl noise and feel some vibration in the car. Now the curious part.

1. This occurs only when moving the steering wheel, not throughout the turn.
2. It occurs whether the car is powered or coasting.
3. It does not occur when the car is sitting still and I turn the wheel.

I've pretty much ruled out CV Joints, because it happens when turning the wheel, not when going through the turn, and it happens accel, coast and decel. Also there is no vibration in the steering wheel.

It does not seem to be the Power steering, since it only occurs if the car is moving. Sitting still it feels normal. I do see that the Rack Boots need to be replaced, but I think this is probably not related.

I'm wondering about tie rod ends, and/or any other explanation??

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Search on torque bind sounds like what your describing. The term torque bind is just what people are calling it - the basics is that the AWD system is locking up causing all 4 wheels to attempt anyway to turn at the same rate so when you turn the car the drive lines and transmission bind up the steering response in tight say parking lot use can also be a bit odd given the inside and out side tires fight each other trying to turn at the same rate etc. This is usually seen in old subarus where the AWD clutches in the AT are getting very tired and not working correctly- or the car was run for some time with odd sized tires front vs back or left vs right etc causing added wear and damaging the AWD system.

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT, 04 Mazda Speed Miata 07 Suburban.
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Search on torque bind sounds like what your describing. The term torque bind is just what people are calling it - the basics is that the AWD system is locking up causing all 4 wheels to attempt anyway to turn at the same rate so when you turn the car the drive lines and transmission bind up the steering response in tight say parking lot use can also be a bit odd given the inside and out side tires fight each other trying to turn at the same rate etc. This is usually seen in old subarus where the AWD clutches in the AT are getting very tired and not working correctly- or the car was run for some time with odd sized tires front vs back or left vs right etc causing added wear and damaging the AWD system.
I don't think it fits. This is a Manual Trany car, and the vibration only hits while turning the Steer wheel when the car is moving. If I hold the steering wheel in one spot (drive in a circle) the vibration does not occur. Incidentally I'm familiar with real torque bind from two 4WD Jeep Trucks and a 4WD Subaru GL wagon. This does not feel at all like Torque Bind in those vehicles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts