Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I thought the current second gen Subaru CVT was good, and it is, but I purchased a 13 Accord this weekend to join my 10 Outback. I have to say Honda did a brilliant job with it's feel and it is more refined and quieter than my 10 OB and also the 12 Impreza. My only concern is longevity, as we all know Honda has had it's issues with transmissions. I also hear the Nissan CVT is pretty good.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I heard Honda took the Nissan design and refined it to Hondas standards. It will be interesting to feel the new HD CVT in the Forester turbo and dare I say WRX

·
Registered
227 Posts
A few years back I test drive the Nissan Sentra CVT and I have to admit it was virtually silent. It almost reminded me of a hybrid.

I don't know if silent means better but I personally didn't like the low noise, I like hearing the drivetrain work.

Just me? :8:

·
Registered
16,970 Posts
it appears there HAS been nissan/subaru (and many other) 'partnerships' thru jatco, but seems like Honda was never part of that;

When it was still the transmission manufacturing division of Nissan, it partnered with Mazda, and thus Jatco, had long been supplying Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, Isuzu, Suzuki, BMW, Volkswagen, MG Rover Group and Land Rover. However, once it was independent, Jatco quickly began supplying other automakers:

December 1999 — Hyundai Motor Company
January 2001 — Jaguar Cars
December 2001 — London Taxis International
January 2002 — Ford Europe
April 2002 — Renault Samsung Motors
April 2002 — Ford Lio Ho
April 2004 — Changan Ford
December 2005 — DaimlerChrysler U.S.A.
October 2006 - Renault

Today, JATCO become one of the biggest supplier of CVT[4], and products from nearly every auto maker have used Jatco transmissions, with the notable exceptions of Honda Motor Company, who makes their own transmissions, and Toyota Motor Company, who has always used transmissions made by Aisin, a subsidiary of Toyota. GM continues to produce a majority of its transmissions through GM Powertrain an outgrowth of Hydramatic.
from; Jatco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To the OP - are you sure you're not picking up on engine noise & vibration, as opposed to the CVT? The 2.5 isn't the smoothest 4-banger in the land.
Good point but there is a difference between CVT and engine noise that I can tell. I was not saying the Subaru CVT is horribly loud, although the second gen is quieter than the first, but the Honda unit is IMO more refined in noise and shiftless quality. Now the new 2.0 FB in the Impreza has a annoying whine from the engine/ T chain that has nothing to do with the CVT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
pgh
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing