Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Outback Premium
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard on the news that, due to the corona virus, car makers were reviewing price cuts and new incentives to move inventory. Don't mean to sound morbid but I wonder if Subaru will be making some new offers. My plan is to add a new OB to the fleet in the near future (wife drives 2019 Forester) but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I took the Forester in for some warrenty work today and didn't see anyone shopping for cars at the dealership.

·
Registered
107 Posts
They currently have 0.9 on financing, I'm sure you could lower the price of the car off msrp (bought my limited xt for 36k flat before all this)

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
357 Posts
Just saw this:

The new programs come as many expect the COVID-19 pandemic to significantly impact U.S. auto sales. RBC Capital said Monday that it expects U.S. auto sales to fall to 13.5 million vehicles, 20% below last year’s sales, as a result of the coronavirus.
  • GM Financial is offering 0% financing for seven years – two years more than recent programs – and four months deferred payments for those with A+ credit.
  • Ford on Monday announced a program giving customers who buy new vehicles the option to delay their first payment for 90 days.
If Subaru did something like GM, I'd consider buying an Outback now vs in May/June, but remains to be seen I guess.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Uh oh. Sounds like GM and Ford are going to need yet another bail out.
I suspect this time around it will not just be automakers needing financial help. Many industries are in trouble......and for the record, Ford never asked for or received any bail out money.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight
12 Posts
Just got an email from Grand Subaru, basically saying that the Banks will be offering 90 days without payment required on all new 2020 vehicles... it says the offer expires March 31 2020, but i would guess that it will be extended...

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
357 Posts
Just got an email from Grand Subaru, basically saying that the Banks will be offering 90 days without payment required on all new 2020 vehicles... it says the offer expires March 31 2020, but i would guess that it will be extended...
Yeah I got that too. Wonder if that's a Subaru offer or just something Grand put together. I suspect it will be extended, and possibly sweetened, because the economy is going straight down the pooper....

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight (Spouse's Vehicle) 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited (daughter's ride)
473 Posts
I would guess that this is a dealer-level promotion rather than "the banks"...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would guess that this is a dealer-level promotion rather than "the banks"...
I thought so too - but a check of NADA and the incentives for Subaru vehicles shows a 90 day deferment plan that will expire end of 2020.
Now - where NADA gathers that info from - i dont know....
May have to wait and see...

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,160 Posts
Ford never asked for or received any bail out money.
While this is technically true, Ford's CEO still lobbied for the bill to pass, arguing that his company would be hurt if the others fell apart, and they DID ask for and receive a 6 billion dollar loan from the government (they asked for up to 9 billion). They also then after lobbied for and benefited heavily from Obamas cash for clunkers program.
Should have been allowed to fail.
Now it will be the airlines we save, despite how horribly they have come to treat passengers in the last 10 years.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,624 Posts
I think the 2020 selling season is shot. With parts shortages and order freezing, it looks like Inventory is not going to be replenished to any large degree. I don't see allot of incentives coming soon ( if at all). It will be interesting to see if all of this has any impact on availability date of the 2021 model ( which should be in late design/prototype by now.)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I think the 2020 selling season is shot. With parts shortages and order freezing, it looks like Inventory is not going to be replenished to any large degree. I don't see allot of incentives coming soon ( if at all). It will be interesting to see if all of this has any impact on availability date of the 2021 model ( which should be in late design/prototype by now.)
is it weird I am excited to see what they are changing/adding in 2021 even though I just bought my 2020 and dont plan to let it go for years? hahaha

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
357 Posts
The Outback just got a full redesign for 2020. Doubtful much is changing on the 2021 other than maybe new paint colors. Or maybe you were referring to 2021 models in general across the board :)

I am a little nervous right now about buying a new car anyway. My lease on my BMW X1 is up in June, but I have a 2003 Wrangler I can drive if I have to but it's more of a weekend toy. It could hold me over for a few months though if necessary until all this blows over (hopefully!) and there's more inventory again.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I personally wouldn't be making any major purchases until this plays out a bit. Too many unknowns. Sure the incentives are tempting, that's the point. But if there was ever a time to hold off spending money on things not NEEDED...I would think this should be it. If you NEED a car, of course that's a different story and now is a good time to do it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I personally wouldn't be making any major purchases until this plays out a bit. Too many unknowns. Sure the incentives are tempting, that's the point. But if there was ever a time to hold off spending money on things not NEEDED...I would think this should be it. If you NEED a car, of course that's a different story and now is a good time to do it.
yes, this whole thing has me a little spooked too about a BIG purchase... i have a beaten up 2003 Pilot and we have our 2018 Outback - i can continue using my Pilot until this plays out... unless someone makes me a DEAL :)

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,624 Posts
The Outback just got a full redesign for 2020. Doubtful much is changing on the 2021 other than maybe new paint colors. Or maybe you were referring to 2021 models in general across the board :)

I am a little nervous right now about buying a new car anyway. My lease on my BMW X1 is up in June, but I have a 2003 Wrangler I can drive if I have to but it's more of a weekend toy. It could hold me over for a few months though if necessary until all this blows over (hopefully!) and there's more inventory again.
I tend to agree to a point. I don't expect it will change alot in most areas ( and that's a good thinng IMHO) . However, given the focus of the recent survey 2020 buyers got , and the common issues they are having with the new 2020 Infotainment system and controls (or lack there of) I would expect some improvements there and in the cockpit in general. Maybe some physical buttons or better shortcuts for seat heaters, Start/stop, etc. maybe better intergration with Carplay /Android auto. If the 2020 has one shortcoming, it's in various aspects of the 11.6" infotainment system not meeting expectations. . If I were shopping now for a car, and had the option to wait till fall, I think I'd hold out to see what the 20201 OB offered.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
357 Posts
I tend to agree to a point. I don't expect it will change alot in most areas ( and that's a good thinng IMHO) . However, given the focus of the recent survey 2020 buyers got , and the common issues they are having with the new 2020 Infotainment system and controls (or lack there of) I would expect some improvements there and in the cockpit in general. Maybe some physical buttons or better shortcuts for seat heaters, Start/stop, etc. maybe better intergration with Carplay /Android auto. If the 2020 has one shortcoming, it's in various aspects of the 11.6" infotainment system not meeting expectations. . If I were shopping now for a car, and had the option to wait, I think I'd hold out to see what teh 20201 OB offered.
Yeah the infotainment seems like the biggest area needing improvement. But I doubt they change the actual hardware, just a revision to the software. And hopefully that means the 2020s can be updated to that same revision too. Most of the gripes seem like they could easily be addressed by improving the software. If ASS was put on the main screen, then there'd be no need for a physical button. Or if it was "sticky", so that if you turned it off, it stayed off, then it might be OK leaving it where it is.

The ASS button on my X1 is physical, and also sticky. If I disable ASS, it stays disabled until I re-enable it. That should be the way they all are. If you like/want the feature, fine - leave it on. For those who hate it, let us turn it off. It saves such a minuscule amount of gas for the annoyance it causes that I'm really not sure it's worth it.

My 2 cents anyway :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Yeah the infotainment seems like the biggest area needing improvement. But I doubt they change the actual hardware, just a revision to the software. And hopefully that means the 2020s can be updated to that same revision too. Most of the gripes seem like they could easily be addressed by improving the software. If ASS was put on the main screen, then there'd be no need for a physical button. Or if it was "sticky", so that if you turned it off, it stayed off, then it might be OK leaving it where it is.

The ASS button on my X1 is physical, and also sticky. If I disable ASS, it stays disabled until I re-enable it. That should be the way they all are. If you like/want the feature, fine - leave it on. For those who hate it, let us turn it off. It saves such a minuscule amount of gas for the annoyance it causes that I'm really not sure it's worth it.

My 2 cents anyway :)
There are other functions that "stick" to their default, with every restart. Front braking turns back on every time. The back seat dri... I mean driver monitoring system turns back on, I believe the auto hold defaults to off every time, and rear auto braking cant even be adjusted, just defaults to on. If they are making our decisions here (cause they know whats best for us right?) I doubt ASS will change. These are my biggest gripes. But what is this survey mentioned? I don't remember a survey for 2020 buyers. At the most, we will get a front screen button, but I am seriously doubting they will even do that.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT.
414 Posts
That's where I'm at. I've been eyeing a new Outback for months now, but I don't think any incentive or deal could make me move on one at this point. My current Outback still runs, and new car seems frivolous right now.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts