Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I wanted to share my custom install of my Rigid Industries 6 Inch LED light bars and offer any feedback for anyone looking to do a similar setup. I purchased the JDM mesh grill and noticed there was a perfect slot for two 6 inch LED light bars in the lower portion of the grill. I removed the bumper and found that bumper frame was the perfect height for the LED mounts and drilled 4 self tapping sheet metal screws. I used 1 washer on the inner mounts to make each LED bar even and then ran the wires trough a slot next to driver side headlight. The hardest part was drilling a hole in the fire wall. I had to create a 1 inch hole so I could pass the fuses and three wiring harnesses through the firewall and decided to keep the relays underneath my dash inside the car. I added rust roof touch up paint to the hole and added a grommet to complete the look. With so many wires coming through it was a tight fit but after struggling for over an hour I finally was able to pass all the wires through. There is a about two inches all the way around the cut out to still allow a good amount of air to pass through. I purchased two Rigid Industries 6 inch midnight addition lights (blacked out) to really minimize their appearance once installed. I combined both harnesses to the same rocker switch and attached it to the flip down fuse panel door by the drivers door. The other rocker switch will be for two amber LED light pods that will go on my LP Adventure light bar. I payed extra attention to routing the wires along factory wiring for a super clean look under the hood. Once the bumper went back on the LED bars seated perfectly in the grill slots. The light passes through perfectly. Let me know what you guys think and if you have any questions about the install. More photos to come!

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,727 Posts
Thats cool. How it lights up the night? Any pics? Thats very good secret place for led bars there. If its wont affect cold air going through.
And nice place for switches. What kind switches they are? Looks small

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The light output is intense for these small light, Rigid industries really makes amazing LED's both in power and manufacturing quality. The switches and harness come with the light and a simple rocker with a LED lets you know when the lights are on. Still plenty of air passing through too!

·
Premium Member
19 Outback 3.6 Limited, 13 Outback 3.6 Limited
32 Posts
@wakeuptoadventure , Your setup looks awesome! What year is your OB? I have the 19 OB, and for whatever reason, Subaru changed some details on the grill/lower grill which ruled out the SSD Mount bar.

I am now looking into installing a light bar (s) and want to keep it as OEM looking as possible, which you have definitely been successful with your setup. How long did the whole install take?
Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts