Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 outback MT
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought two 200W subwoofers that are 5in. I already have an amplifier with supple power. My plan is to put these under the driver and passenger seats of my 00' OB. I guess i will have to make a box for each one, but the clearence under the seat is pretty small. I know i could have bought the $188 factory one but i got each of these speaker for $9.99, and they are still probably better quality. So has anyone done something like this and could you give me tips on how to accomplish this project? TIA

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Too small of an area for a do-it yourselfer building one. Infinity Basslink and Kenwood Woox I think they call it are a couple besides the stocker that may fit under there. They are made of plastic and are very thin, and have the amp built in.

If that is what you are looking for anyway. It's tough hiding a sub if you don't want the trunk/hatch full of woofer. Brian

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
Brian's probably right due to the volume which will be taken up just by walls of box if building box out of proper 5/8 MDF. also, bass response is all about moving air....this is why a 12" sub will produce more and lower freq bass than a 10" when mounted in equiv volume/design box and fed by same amp...and 5" "subs" won't move much air, even with 2 of em. your front door speakers are 6 1/2".

However, you can measure height clearance with seat in place (be sure to check it at all points in front-rear and up-down travel) and then lift seat out (4 bolts and one elec connector underneath...5 min) and see what size box you can mock up with cardboard to get a better idea on fit. i always save the back of office-desk size calendars for this sort of thing. if it won't work, you haven't wasted much time or $.

again, i go back to ebay for doin it on the cheep. i just bought a brand new QLogic box (probably standard of the industry) for 8" sub, for $5 and another no-name knockoff for another $5. i'm a pretty good carpenter and have lots of woodworking tools, but i couldn't even buy the materials at Home Depot for $5, let alone time to design and build.

bw

·
Registered
2007 outback MT
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not going for the airflow. Im interested in the vibrations. I prefer the vibratons you get from a woofer over the sound. Most subs annoy the **** out of me because they are much too low. So what i really would like to do is mount the box to the bottom of the seat if at all possible. I looked at the woox and that other small subwoofer and the dimensions are too thick. I have a maximun of 3.5 inch thickness clearence. That is why when i bought these woofers a made sure they would fit, at a mere 2.5 in thickness. But yea, building the box will certainly be the tough part. However im confident i can make this work. Ill write back when i succeed:)

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
"I looked at the woox and that other small subwoofer and the dimensions are too thick. I have a maximun of 3.5 inch thickness clearence. "

Luke, dunno what car you have but there's a Woox under drivers seat of my 02 OBS right now (unless someone has broken into car this morning!!) so i suspect it will fit at least Imprza based cars. not that i'd recommend it, it 's going away soon. El Wank-o as far as subs are concerned.

i think you're on right track with your calculations, tho. let us know how yr project turns out.

bw

·
Registered
2007 outback MT
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well,
i recieved 2 5.25 in subwoofers made by pyramid. 10 bucks a peice. Made some small wooden boxes for them that were about 2.75 in high. I just barely fit them under the driver and passenger seats. I cannot beleive how well this has worked out. Sure i had to make a few tweaks and such, but considering how small these two woofers are its amazing how well they sound! These woofers have filled a void where there once was no music. But the real beauty of these is that they are not annoying. I have none of that real, real low and defening sound you get from those annoying rice rocket hondas, instead its more of a home theatre sounding subwoofer. Plus alot of times you wont feel the bass of a subwoofer, instead you get more of that annoying low pitch noise. With these you can actually feel the bass right under your seat, and not in the trunk. The other advantage is you would never be able to tell they are there, which preserves that clean stock look.
Conclusion:
People go way too far with installing 15 in subwoofers, and they just end up drowning out all the other frequencies.

I couldnt be happier.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
cool. where'd you get the speakers? what sort of amp power are you using and where do you have it mounted? this does sound like a pretty reasonable approachwith few downsides.

i'm still stumbling along wiring in my amp, but the little (.35 cu ft) box for 8" sub does fit right behind drivers seat and doesn't noticeably affect seat travel or recline so that part is going OK so far.

"real, real low and defening sound you get from those annoying rice rocket hondas, instead its more of a home theatre sounding subwoofer. Plus alot of times you wont feel the bass of a subwoofer, instead you get more of that annoying low pitch noise."

much of this is due to box design and owner's inability/unwillingness to properly adjust gain controls on amp. the "bandpass" boxes these guys use makes lots of boom for $, at the cost of accurate low note rendition. sticking with a sealed box instead of the bandpass type, and adjusting amp gain controls for accurate-across-the-bandwidth response from all speakers instead of maximum boom will also give you tight, home-theater soundin bass.

curious to hear how Pyramid spkrs work over time. i got a set of Pyrmaid woofers from JCWhitney abt 6-7 yrs ago to replace rotted woofer cones in my home speakers. i live by myself, have 100 RMS/ch to feed em, and like my music REAL loud at times...they get the c**p beat out of them and never miss a beat or deteriorate in sound. and made in US, not China. makes you wonder abt the markup on all the name brands.....

·
Registered
2007 outback MT
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the speakers from etronics.com. Very reasonable and shipped in 2 days! Eventually ill take a picture of the sealed boxes i fabricated. But I can slide them right under the driver and passenger seats without any problem.
As far as the amp goes, It is a boss audio 5 channel 1000 watt max. The first 4 channels are about 80 watts RMS and the 5th channel is 150 or so RMS. (i am only going by what it is advertised as, i have never tested it) Anyway the woofers are supposedly 100 watts RMS, so by spliting the 5th channel it works out almost perfectly.
The other day i was boomin to set the gain limit and i ended up fryin one of the subs. But i figured; hey whats to lose they were only 10 bucks:) , ill just buy another.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
i was idly flipping through JC WHitney cat last night and noted that Pyramid also makes a 6.5" minisub.

Luke, did yours come with any suggestions on box interior volume?

this seems like a pretty reas alternative to factory sub, Woox, or Infinity Basslink.

·
Registered
2007 outback MT
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NO, i tried desperately to find some sort of volume, but to no avail. So i just bit the bullet and let my under seat restrictions dictate the size.

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5L
26 Posts
so i have a question that might have been covered but is it posible to use 2 of the stock subaru sub boxs, 1 under each seat(i have a 02 OBW)?? i would think to set everthing electic wise like you were running 1 amps, so i can't think of any reason for why it wouldn't unless there was clearance problems.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
this is a possibility but there are cheaper subs. yeah, i think clearance will be your main issue. i assume you're planning on a an outboard amp? even the high power front ends don't really have enough power to make a sub work right. remember that it may need part of the space under 1 seat.

electrically, the main issue is that the total impedance of the 2 subs is within the acceptable impedance range for your amp. if your amp is stable for 2 ohms and the factory subs test at 4 ohms each, you can wire em in parallel for 2 ohms total and more wattage output (most amps make more power into 2 ohms than into 4, from abt 15-100% more). or you can do it the other way and wire them in series for a total of 8 ohms impedance.

does this help or am i just being confusing?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts