Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello OB Experts:
Would like to get opinions on the two subject items:
Any experience on the durability of the split CV boots?
Particular brands that have proven dependability and longevity on the CV axles?

Thanks,
d page

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
532 Posts
Split boots aren't worth the time.

OEM axles are far better than anything else. Replacing with conventional boots is absolutely worth the time.

Subaru remanufactured are very good.

And then all the others. Make sure it has a lifetime warranty....you'll be using it

·
Registered
4, Gen 2 H6's: 2001 LLBean, 2002 LLBean, 2002 VDC, 2003 Plain...I love the H6's!
245 Posts
Although I have used only cardone axles on my subies, I agree with Numbchux about the lifetime warranty on non-OEM parts. Although I have not had to re-do any of the 5 axle replacements I have done, I realize an aftermarket non-OEM part may fail, and I accept the risk. Cardone axles cost about $75 at my local parts store.

I would replace axles if a boot is torn only if I planned to drive the car for 1,000+ miles on a long road trip in the near future. If no long road trip is planned, then I would simply occasionally wipe away the grease that splatters as the boot degrades and wait until the axle provides a symptom of failure, such as making noise while tightly turning. When the axle provides a symptom of failure I would replace the axle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just bought the car w/ 231K mi. so don't know how long, but it's not grinding, or clunking.
The previous owner of about 3 years didn't know either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
several here have suggested that the split boots are not reliable and "not worth the time".
Know once the boot is split it's just a matter of time (depending on conditions and driving) until the joint fails.
so the plan is to just drive it until it starts making noise then replace the entire axle with a good after market.
thanks,
d page

1 - 8 of 8 Posts