Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 & 2007 OBW 2.5L's
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Are front and rear cv axles the same thing? I've been looking for a passenger side rear cv axle, and all the parts I've come across are for the front. I've replaced the front cv axles on my own easily, but I cannot seem to find a rear cv axle for my 2007 OB, so I'm left to believe that although they're labeled "front" they're also able to be installed in the rear?

All help is appreciated.

·
Registered
Looking into purchasing a 3rd gen Outback.
41 Posts
I took a look into Subarupartsdeal.com searching for a 2007 OB CV Avle.

The search returned a number of parts. I see different part numbers for

Front:

https://www.subarupartsdeal.com/parts-list/2007-subaru-outback/front-axle.html?PNC=28321

Rear:

https://www.subarupartsdeal.com/parts-list/2007-subaru-outback/rear-axle.html?PNC=28421

Enter your VIN and check the manufacturing dates.

I'm not sure how these different part numbers (based on Mfr date ranges) would cross-reference to aftermarket if at all..

Pricing looks to be $328 each so a complete replacement will not be trivial for me.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
All,

Are front and rear cv axles the same thing? I've been looking for a passenger side rear cv axle, and all the parts I've come across are for the front. I've replaced the front cv axles on my own easily, but I cannot seem to find a rear cv axle for my 2007 OB, so I'm left to believe that although they're labeled "front" they're also able to be installed in the rear?

All help is appreciated.
You don't have to shell out that kind of cash to get this repair completed.
If you have the original (look for the green ends on the axle) you can have those rebuilt and rebooted.
You can shop salvage companies for low mileage ones - they are good to 100-125K miles.
There's also a company, I think it's MWE that builds high quality axles that everyone on the forum says are great.

I found axles from 2 salvage companies: Standrige Auto parts in North Carolina and Shaw auto parts in Idaho. They both have websites with photos and you can call or email what you want.

The general consensus seems to be use original axles and rebuild them. Fewer problems with fitment and balance.

To answer the original question: no, front and rear are different axles. However, the left and right will interchange.

·
Registered
Looking into purchasing a 3rd gen Outback.
41 Posts
You don't have to shell out that kind of cash to get this repair completed.
If you have the original (look for the green ends on the axle) you can have those rebuilt and rebooted.
You can shop salvage companies for low mileage ones - they are good to 100-125K miles.
There's also a company, I think it's MWE that builds high quality axles that everyone on the forum says are great.

I found axles from 2 salvage companies: Standrige Auto parts in North Carolina and Shaw auto parts in Idaho. They both have websites with photos and you can call or email what you want.

The general consensus seems to be use original axles and rebuild them. Fewer problems with fitment and balance.

To answer the original question: no, front and rear are different axles. However, the left and right will interchange.
I agree. Based on price for new replacement options, I would be inclined to reboot/repair OEMs. For me, I think I would look into rebooting at some mileage interval as preventative maintenance to keep the OEM CV axle running as long as possible.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,194 Posts
if I did not have my own OEM green cap ones to reboot with subaru boots,

I would buy brand new never used napa axles. high quality and new as in,...never remand or abused in the reman process,

·
Registered
2006 Outback LL Bean H6. Ivory interior, Moss green exterior. 132K
249 Posts
if I did not have my own OEM green cap ones to reboot with subaru boots,

I would buy brand new never used napa axles. high quality and new as in,...never remand or abused in the reman process,
Would those be the Napa Maxdrive units? They list a left and a right, are they different? Rock Auto shows them as the same. They do have different part numbers on NAPA's website.

·
Registered
2013 BRZ 2005 OBXT
231 Posts
The maxdrive axles from napa are what I put in the front of my wagon. So far so good. Living in the rust belt and all the salt and sand they put down in the winter unless you catch the torn boots very quickly its hard to justify a reboot as the amount of road grit we see up here destroys the axles pretty quick.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The maxdrive axles from napa are what I put in the front of my wagon. So far so good. Living in the rust belt and all the salt and sand they put down in the winter unless you catch the torn boots very quickly its hard to justify a reboot as the amount of road grit we see up here destroys the axles pretty quick.
Jason, when you bought them, did you buy the left and right part numbers like they listed? Did you see any difference? I'm wondering if perhaps one has more anti-shock properties or something?

·
Registered
2013 BRZ 2005 OBXT
231 Posts
I do not recall specifying left or right front axle no.

EDIT: Looking at opposed forces OEM is listed as just front. No left or right determination. Same story for rear axles. Just called out as rear axle assembly. No left or right determination.
They are 100% different front to rear though. Think the rears are longer if I am not mistaken?

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_46/suspension_and_axle/front_axle/illustration_2/
http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_46/suspension_and_axle/rear_axle/illustration_2/

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,292 Posts
I have rebooted and replaced axles.

I replaced one on my 2000 with an aftermarket and it wobbled like crazy. Ended up replacing with a used OEM later on.

I rebooted a factory axle. It lasted the life of the vehicle.

I replaced with an aftermarket axle on a 2004 Forester that got the wobbles from it.

I replaced a factory axle with a new OEM axle on a 2008 Outback with no issues.

I rebooted a 2002 bug eye and ended up having to remove the hub as the axle was completely seized inside it and the ball joint was torn anyway. Reboot lasted the life of the vehicle.

More recently I rebooted an axle on a 2006 Baja while the axle was still in the car. Waiting to see how that one turns out. I wanted to try something different after going through such a pain with the bug eye. I'm still undecided if it was easier or harder than just replacing the axle but if it was seized to the hub then it is the way to go.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I do not recall specifying left or right front axle no.

EDIT: Looking at opposed forces OEM is listed as just front. No left or right determination. Same story for rear axles. Just called out as rear axle assembly. No left or right determination.
They are 100% different front to rear though. Think the rears are longer if I am not mistaken?

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_46/suspension_and_axle/front_axle/illustration_2/
http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_46/suspension_and_axle/rear_axle/illustration_2/
I went back and looked at Napa's site. They list them as left or right, but they are the same part number.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts