Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i - 5 speed - 191K
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to determine what axles I have.

My front passenger side has the three wheels with the needle bearings. SEE photo with bearing sitting in a hand.

I found a replacement front axle which is more complex - see the attached diagrams. This axle has actual large metal balls (NO Needle bearings).

What was the OEM design? Anyone know how to tell an OEM axle from an aftermarket?

The front passenger one I had, with the needle bearings, pulled away from the cup so I can not determine how the bearings go back in originally. I'm thinking of just greasing them up, new boot and reinstalling. Then pray for no noise.

Thanks for any help

Attachments

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback H6 3.0 LL Bean
1,203 Posts
The photo you posted (three needle bearings) is inner joint design. All OEM and aftermarket axles I have seen use this same design. The diagram you posted (6 balls, cage, race) is the outer joint design. All OEM and aftermarket axles I have seen use this same design as well. Inner/outer are just different styles of CV joint based on demands on the joint. Post a picture of your axles and someone on here can tell you if they're OEM, rebuilt OEM, or aftermarket.

If you clean the parts, add more grease, and re-install with a new boot, you'll probably be just fine. Good luck!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The photo you posted (three needle bearings) is inner joint design. All OEM and aftermarket axles I have seen use this same design. The diagram you posted (6 balls, cage, race) is the outer joint design. All OEM and aftermarket axles I have seen use this same design as well. Inner/outer are just different styles of CV joint based on demands on the joint. Post a picture of your axles and someone on here can tell you if they're OEM, rebuilt OEM, or aftermarket.

If you clean the parts, add more grease, and re-install with a new boot, you'll probably be just fine. Good luck!
The NEW axle I received from AdvanceAuto has the 6 balls, cage, race design on the INNER joint. I removed the inner boot band to see what was inside (I am very inquisitive) and that is the design. Guessing that is NOT OEM.

IS there a source for NEW 3 needle bearings? I have seen nothing out there. IF NOT, I will just grease it up and put on new boot.

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
No, it's Not OEM. It's some aftermarket garbage. You are doing it a service rebuilding.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, it's Not OEM. It's some aftermarket garbage. You are doing it a service rebuilding.
Grrrrrr, I'll just install the new one I got from Autozone and use the old one for a crowbar. Thanks for the help.

I'll keep my eye out for some used OEM axles around the internet.

·
Registered
2009 3.0R Outback
586 Posts
I don't like the way those casting imperfections look where the seal rides. Probably not an issue, but that is a really poor quality aftermarket axle.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon LLBean 3.0R Automatic
819 Posts
I used iseismometer on my iPhone, in a Proclip dock, to measure the difference in vibration at idle, foot on brake stopped in Drive (auto tranny).

update, paid to remove the aftermarket axle, installed remanufactured Subaru axle. The fix paid off, look at the change in vibration, aftermarket on left, remanufactured axle from subaru dealer on right:

You guys were right, aftermarket axles Definitely vibrate more than Subaru axles.
Thumbs up for Subaru Remanufactured axles! (they cost me $80 extra)

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
596 Posts
I found OEM axles from 2 different salvage yards, Terryvilleautoparts was one of them and Shawautoparts was the other. You may have to look around some and contact the seller to confirm they have the green ends & low miles.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Huh, that's unusual. Let us know how the vibration is with the new AutoZone axle. I wouldn't have high hopes, but you could get lucky...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Huh, that's unusual. Let us know how the vibration is with the new AutoZone axle. I wouldn't have high hopes, but you could get lucky...
I shelved the AutoZone axle. I found two of the new Cardone Select axles. $110 for both...what the ****. Give it a try.

I will let you know what happens. I will also keep an eye out for some OEM from the local yards. Kinda feel like being the guinea pig for CV Axles.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The Cardone remans use OEM cores and are usually okay, but I would not expect a new Cardone Select axle to be any different than a new AutoZone axle.

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
Cardone is now the premium manufacturer and re-manufacturer.

You can still get a CV service unit from Subaru for about $180 and rebuilt the axle.

·
Registered
2009 3.0R Outback
586 Posts
I shelved the AutoZone axle. I found two of the new Cardone Select axles. $110 for both...what the ****. Give it a try.
I got two Cardone 60-7355 remans directly from Cardone on eBay for $38 each (they've been sold out since). Mine didn't come with dust shields/baffles; hopefully yours do. They cost me an extra $45 and it was quite the struggle to get them on.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
966 Posts
I put a pair of Cardone 66-7735's in my Outback in February 2015. I've been waiting for them to detonate ever since but so far they've worked perfectly with no vibration at idle or at any speed. I still have the originals waiting to be rebooted in the garage just in case along with new ball joints, LCA bushings, a "non-rebuildable" 2008 PS pump and new front struts.

I'm beginning to feel like I'm collecting enough "spare" parts to build another Gen3 Outback from scratch.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,727 Posts
if even i can find that green color on them even with all that rust then others must have more green there. all aftermarket stuff for axles boots and such is just crap, no worth it. even used oem boot is many times better and stronger then those new soft aftermarket ones. maybe they could hold better on non lift cars or legacys but not on offroad for sure.

·
Registered
69 Posts
OP for what it's worth, a cheap aftermarket joint may not be the best thing here. CVJ's are pretty important stuff and need to be precisely built. It's definitely an area where I myself would only use OEM. Subaru *does* sell reman'd axles that aren't a lot more expensive than cheap car parts store axles, I just got one for a hair over 200 dollars but it's all Subaru, rebuilt by Subaru. You mentioned how the one replacement axle you bought was actually the wrong one ... this is an indicator of things to come in my mind. Other parts of the car that aren't as important then sure salvaged or cheap replacement parts, but not for drive train. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,727 Posts
specially with the lift . if lifters uses used oem CV's that must be for reason. aftermarket parts are ok others maybe but not CV. used ones from scrapyard cars sometimes are in such good condition they can look hardly used, well compare to mine.
and my lift is maxed now that this car can have with stock struts. and i can buy all axle from crapyard for like 20 euros and it will go strong for months and months and maybe even couple years or so . for that cheap. and boots oem boots are amazing . those aftermarket ones i used many of them and they kept braking and braking until i tried used old boot from some axle and its just holds there now. no problem, no matter how hard i push car, without sway bars and with 5cm lift its about how much they could hold there. no problem and still have 2 front and 2 rear axles for spares.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Cardone remans use OEM cores and are usually okay, but I would not expect a new Cardone Select axle to be any different than a new AutoZone axle.
The new Cardone Select axles are fantastic so far. The axle shaft was thicker than the AutoZone axle. I have no idea what the OEM thickness is. I have no vibration and they installed with no issues. The outer boot has extra baffles. It also was heavier than the AutoZone.

So far Two Thumbs Up!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts