Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi last night i smelled burnt rubber and saw that the CV boot green colored on the right side (if sitting in drivers seat) was split and the grease or fluid sprayed all over.

I took it to the mechanic. Does anyone know what a reasonable price is to have this repaired?

Thanks
Cr

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
$250 plus or minus a $100 (that should start some arguments - lol!)

you should be able to get an estimate. Be aware, if you can stand the smell, the car will drive safely for weeks/months like this.

Labor costs should be about the same so, the issue is what you will pay for the axle. many of us here would do this ourselves but, if you post your city, someone may be able to suggest a shop for you to take it too.

I bought an EMPI axle for my wife's outback - no problems with it so far.

Try to avoid typical rebuilt axles from AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc.

Rebuilding your axle or an exchange from MWE are good options.

this happens often and you can search for a lot of posts about it.

If you know anyone that does their own car maintenance, maybe they would do this for you for pizza and a six-pack. It si a 'easy/medium' difficulty repair.

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
Best and cheapest option, have the CV joint rebooted. Depending on the area/shop this will be somewhere from $150-$250, mostly labor.

Next best : MWE - which are Subaru rebuilt.

Probably acceptable risk: EMPI.

Anything else: Don't waste your money. Trust me on this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!

I just got the "call" $230 bucks. They also noticed another small oil leak. TBD. This is a great forum, thanks again.
Cr

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
I would consider $230 on the high end of "acceptable" for dealer rates.

Probably $30 in parts, and $200 for the labor involved in removing the axle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just did mine with an aftermarket axle, and I'll be doing it again with a rebuilt one because the one I put it is junk. I'd suggest taking a look at the MWE (Colorado) or raxles (Florida) remanufactured axles if you plan to do it yourself.

If you are at all concerned about doing it yourself, you might consider getting a copy of the FSM (factory service manual) for your car...it is about 5000 pages of detailed instructions and diagrams. I recently got one in PDF format on eBay for $7.00...the best money I've spent in a long time.

·
Registered
342 Posts
A year ago I had passenger side done in Boone NC..... 160 -170 range for rebooting the original axle. Southern States, now Modern Subaru same people working in the shop.

A few months ago I had the driver's side done in Charlottesville, VA. 170-180 range for rebooting the original axle. C-ville Imports

·
Registered
31 Posts
Subaru did mine too. The mechanic says he fixes this at least once a week. The exhaust is suposed to be the reason the right side goes out faster than the left. Price is good!

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
I see where Raybestos boot kits are available on RockAuto. But I have no idea how to fasten the bands.

any suggestions on boots or boot kits?

I was told today that my WRX has a tiny split. So many people suggest keeping your Subaru axles, I may try rebooting this axle.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
See the DIY CV boot thread. I just posted there, but I'm too lazy to get the link :)

I used a Berkley kit from Amazon that worked well. I also couldn't figure out the band issue with the boot I got. I just used plyers to tighten. I think maybe a visit to the auto part store would answer this, but I barely had time to get it done, certainly no time to drive around and shoot it with the parts counter guy.

Tom
Okay, here's the link: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/21119-diy-front-cv-axle-boot-replacement-20.html

Mine is currently the last one :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
tdelker
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing