Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 model Outback here specifically but the tech carries over to many models.

While driving, my rear passenger side cv popped out. The car became almost undrivable but it got it home. Fast forward to today and I have the cv out of the car. This car has a cv retain by a heavy duty spring pin inside the differential itself.

Only thing is, I cannot get the cv back in and retained by the internal spring clip. Any ideas on why this happened I the first place and why I cannot get the cv to pop into place?

Some pics:

Spring clip alignment?

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now I know why. My differential inside is broken into many little pieces.

160 diff shopping time.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
woah dude, you tore out the front diff - not a walk in the park!

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
Were you driving off road, through city streets - many of which are rougher on a car than off roading? Do you recall a tremendous WHAM sound followed by a jolt?

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Were you driving off road, through city streets - many of which are rougher on a car than off roading? Do you recall a tremendous WHAM sound followed by a jolt?
In this case, I believe the spider gear split in two, followed by the spider gear parts being gobbled up by the ring and pinion. Indeed, a loud bang was heard and felt on the freeway. Minutes later, another bang occurred and the passenger CV popped out. This stopped the car from moving forward. I was on the way to pick up my daughter from school and I've not had this wagon offroad yet. I do know the former owner has, as I've wheeled with him before. ;P

In reading and researching this issue, I found numerous other individuals who had the spider gears go, resulting in the same parts explosion. On a related note, it turns out that the R160 (and 180 and 200) differentials are made by Hitachi and used in numerous Datsun's and Nissan's.

Note: The original differential (the one you see above) has a limited slip differential in it. I plan on replacing it with another differential with one as well. This diff is too trashed to repair unless I wanted to go with an aftermarket limited slip AND had the money to do so.
Note X2: I've seen prices range from 50$ - 1000$ for used replacements. Most sell in the 200-350$ range.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Drag! How many miles were on that puppy?

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drag! How many miles were on that puppy?
63,000 or so. It's a low mileage car, so go figure. I guess the shaft that the spider gears spin on can wear, leading to play and the eventually failure. I read that one should look for metal bits when you change your differential fluid and then service if you see anything above the atomic level.

That said, I'm not sure you can even get parts for the differential like new spider gears or not. I know you can get ring gears and entire differentials $$$.

By the way, I also read that limited slip differentials also have forged gears that are heavier duty than open differential models. Not sure if that is true or not, but it would not surprise me.

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,069 Posts
Dang, I wonder what happened to it in its previous life.
I beat the daylights out of mine and have yet to see any kind of abnormal wear (front or rear), not to mention spider gears exploding.

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dang, I wonder what happened to it in its previous life.
I beat the daylights out of mine and have yet to see any kind of abnormal wear (front or rear), not to mention spider gears exploding.
Owned, loved and cared for by an enthusiastic former moderator of Subaruoutback.org ;). http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/65-parts-accessories-performance/8090-subhumans-latest-mods.html It is odd and this sort of failure should have never occurred on such a low mileage, low powered vehicle. The same rear ends are in turbo charged WRX's, XT's and Baja's, so it's definitely not a power issue. Probably just a manufacturing failure and I just ended up with that one special batch.

Tomorrow I am running up to Cambell Nelson's salvage yard and snagging a low mileage R160. Should be back up and running by the weekend. I really want to go skiing and this has been killing my weekends!

And pics, we all know we all love pics, so here are some photos for your car breaking pleasure.

Busted Pinion

Metal shards in your oil never indicate a good thing

Busted Ring Gear

Busted (dogbone?) that the spider gears spin on

Metal crud attached to magnetic drain hole.

No wonder my CV fell out, there's nothing in the middle of the side gears!

Goopy mess

Crud one has to disassemble to get to the differential. That darn CV is still stuck in the unit bearing. Oh well, I'll force it out when it comes time to service the CV joint and/or bearing

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,069 Posts
Nice carnage shots.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,947 Posts
Heh, I usually end up with the 'special' failures and problems.

Oh wait, I did. Twice.
Bad front diff and THEN I get to find out a 2004 trans does not swap into a 2003.

The Hollander Interchange manual has been corrected, though.

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heh, I usually end up with the 'special' failures and problems.

Oh wait, I did. Twice.
Bad front diff and THEN I get to find out a 2004 trans does not swap into a 2003.

The Hollander Interchange manual has been corrected, though.
Was that due to the gear ratios you had?

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,947 Posts
No, in 2004 the ECU and TCU were significantly changed, the 4EAT was pretty much unchanged, but subaru reversed the polarity of the transfer duty solenoid (duty-c solenoid) in 2004.

Pre-04, +12V = FWD fuse in = '0% duty cycle' = front wheel drive only. The more the signal is low, the more the AWD clutch lucks up.

2004, exact opposite. When I put the FWD fuse in, the AWD clutch was fully locked up. When driving very slowly, almost no throttle, the clutch is locked up. Parking = torque bind. Give it a bunch of throttle, and the fronts spin.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I've been thinking about this one. Could the CV joint seizing-up have caused the damage? Maybe it was a bad axle instead of the other way around.

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been thinking about this one. Could the CV joint seizing-up have caused the damage? Maybe it was a bad axle instead of the other way around.
It definitely could be a contributing factor now that I think about it. In my case, the CV does still slide as it should as the suspension travels, but it's not as smooth as it should be.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
^ Wow, very thorough guide. The shop manual should be so complete.

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just as an update, surely as a result of the rear end breaking into pieces and me babying the Bluebaru home on just the front wheel drive with the center diff (slipping), my center differential and bearings need to be replaced.

Long story short - if your rear differential breaks, get a flatbed tow truck and save yourself 700$ - $1,500 dollars.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts