Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy just traded in his 2011 Outback Limited for a new 2013 because his CVT transmission took a dump at 60,800 miles- just 800 miles outside of the drivetrain warranty.

Subaru was going to cover warranty replacement of the transmission but the dealer gave him a good deal on a new 2013 so he took it.

He is real happy with the '13, said it drives 100x better than his '11.

I know, cool story bro.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 CVT All-Weather/Alloy Package, Graphite Gray
199 Posts
Is it worth making a thread for dead CVT's for tracking purposes? Similar to the HG thread? Not that there have been many documented in this forum, but I'm assuming some of the 2010's and 11's may be hitting around 60K mark.

·
Registered
2012 Outback, 3.6R Limited
80 Posts
Do you know what part/component of the transmission failed?

A buddy just traded in his 2011 Outback Limited for a new 2013 because his CVT transmission took a dump at 60,800 miles- just 800 miles outside of the drivetrain warranty.

Subaru was going to cover warranty replacement of the transmission but the dealer gave him a good deal on a new 2013 so he took it.

He is real happy with the '13, said it drives 100x better than his '11.

I know, cool story bro.

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
Cool story bro. Parts fail. Now everyone is yelling recall. Seriously. All makes have transmission failures. They also have engine failures. Lets not get our panties in a bunch. Subie FOR SURE tested this transmission well beyond 60k in endurance testing. Parts fail and break.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,126 Posts
the CVT is from JATCO right?

if so, what are the failure rates in other brands that share it's use? (nissan?)

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
the CVT is from JATCO right?

if so, what are the failure rates in other brands that share it's use? (nissan?)
I distinctly recall Nissan having a lot of problems with their early CVTs, particularly in Muranos.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I distinctly recall Nissan having a lot of problems with their early CVTs, particularly in Muranos.
That was some time ago about 3 major design generations. I also recall the belt being a major issue. Probably why Subaru had zero interest in doing a CVT till the technology to make a steel belt was made possible.

Today Nissan CVT's are running much more power than Subaru and power vs shock loading is the major threat to the CVT. The maker of the CVT is actually the same builder only Subaru's CVT is a little different.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
AT failures happen even CVT's can have something fail. Lots of parts in those AT's which can have a flaw that eventually causes a failure.

EVEN manual transmissions can be prone to failure even when used correctly. Though with MT's its generally operator error that damages and wrecks MT's today.

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i Ltd replaced 2010 OB; 20 mm WRX rear sway bar & Michelin LXT Premier tires; replaced 2010 2.5 OB Ltd. City car is 2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Prem
455 Posts
Sounds like SOA treated your friend pretty well. Did he ever due a CVT fluid change?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts